• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix 2GB PC2-6400 -- $85 AMIR & shipping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scrappydog

hmm when I build my computer tomorrow if my ram doesn't quite perform how I want it to $85 2GB G.Skill PC2-6400, I will jump on that with google checkout for $75.

can i buy this ram even though i sent in a $40 MIR on the tracers?

I feel like crucial won't let me do that... but just wondering.

Seems like my Ballistix Tracer PC2-8000 isn't really running its spec too well... it needs higher than 2.2v, and I'm thinking of returning them... :( I love the tracer effects tho...

g0dM@n said:
can i buy this ram even though i sent in a $40 MIR on the tracers?

I feel like crucial won't let me do that... but just wondering.

Seems like my Ballistix Tracer PC2-8000 isn't really running its spec too well... it needs higher than 2.2v, and I'm thinking of returning them... :( I love the tracer effects tho...

Yes you can definitely do MIRs on different items through Crucial, I've done it before. The key is that the MIRs are different 'offers' in one way or another, either based upon the item or the MIR date range. They usually have different offer numbers, even on the same product if the MIR offer is different, say based on eligible dates, it counts as a separate MIR.

g0dM@n, I sent in the $40 rebate for the 8000 Tracers as well and I'm also thinking about grabbing these. It says this on the rebate form:

Limit one rebate per eligible Crucial Ballistix memory kit per household.

According to that you should be able to send in multiple rebates to crucial as long as it is for different sets of memory. The 8500 modules are about $135 with shipping after MIR at newegg.

downer said:
g0dM@n, I sent in the $40 rebate for the 8000 Tracers as well and I'm also thinking about grabbing these. It says this on the rebate form:

Limit one rebate per eligible Crucial Ballistix memory kit per household.

According to that you should be able to send in multiple rebates to crucial as long as it is for different sets of memory. The 8500 modules are about $135 with shipping after MIR at newegg.
i bought these...

after the 10% coupon and $45 MIR it'll be $71.99

i'm picking these up b/c my 8000s aren't OCing that well as 5-5-5-15... i don't know why.... maybe i'm doing something wrong, but i needed 2.35v to hit 520mhz 5-5-5-15... and yes i'm at 2T... weird, right?

i'm not even sure if it's fully stable at stock speed... i may have to RMA the 8000s and that's why i'm buying the deal in this thread... to hold me off and maybe replace the 8000s.

although, the LEDs are so sexy... i wanted to keep them. :(

I haven't even tested the 8000's I bought yet. I'm waiting on a DFI LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G

$71 is such a tempting price for these. They're probably using the same chips as the 8000's are.

downer said:
I haven't even tested the 8000's I bought yet. I'm waiting on a DFI LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G

$71 is such a tempting price for these. They're probably using the same chips as the 8000's are.
well check out this list here

Go down to Crucial and see the Ballistix listed towards the end of the Crucial list.... seems like

PC2-6400 Ballistix
4.0-4-4-12 @ 2.2V
Micron D9GMH (B6-3) or Micron D9DQW (BT-37E)

PC2-8000 Ballistix
5.0-5-5-15 @ 2.2V
Micron D9GMH (B6-3) or Micron D9DQT (BT-3)

So they'd only be the same chips if both kits had the D9GMH, which I believe is the best to get.

Now... seeing this list makes me believe that my 8000 kit may in fact NOT be the D9GMH... since it's giving me a rough time getting 5-5-5-15 at 500mhz :(

So I'm also guessing that the 6400 kit will just be luck of the draw.

I wish there was a way I can tell what kinda chips were on the RAM by looking at them physically...

A question if I may, would it be a bad idea to mix this with the 2GB of OCZ Gold already in my system? I would really like to upgrade my system memory before I go Vista...

dreamtfk said:
A question if I may, would it be a bad idea to mix this with the 2GB of OCZ Gold already in my system? I would really like to upgrade my system memory before I go Vista...
That is a good question... if they're both the same chips on the RAM, I think it should be fine... if they are NOT the same chips, it may STILL be fine as long as they do the same timings at similar voltages...

Worst case is you may have to downclock a bit...

I just bought a set of these. I have 6GB of DDR2 now, with no place to put them :(. Now if only those 8500 Ballistix Tracers at newegg would drop some more

My DFI 590 just arrived today, so I'll have a chance to test out my 8000 Tracers tonight. Waiting on the Ballistix 6400's and Crucial PC5300 Value ram, hopefully the 5300's have some form of D9's. If not, there is always ebay.

Last edited:
I got this kit today, it's in a sealed plastic package, although same part#. How can I know if it is D9? I have P5LD2-vm which can only go about 350fsb.

Back