• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom NAS Case Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wardrop

Registered
I've posted this already over on the Anandtech forums, but have since found more people discussing NAS enclosures in these forums, so figure this would be a better place to gauge interest and receive feedback.

The unfortunate situation is that there aren't really any cases ideal for a custom NAS; there's really nothing that can compete with the size and functionality of appliance NAS cases, like those from QNAP or Synology.

Typically, you want your NAS case to be small, hot-swappable, and have support for an expansion card (RAID controller, etc). You also typically want to have room for a 2.5" SSD for the boot volume. There's unfortunately nothing on the market that meets these requirements, and those that get close, typically only support up to 4 drives, which for those of us wanting 5 or 6 drives, is too small and not economical enough (core components will cost the same regardless of number of hard-drives, so it makes sense to go with something with support for over 4 drives).

I'm currently looking into designing and manufacturing my own NAS case using services like emachineshop.com. The only problem is that for single quantity orders, it's very expensive, but for every extra set of items ordered, the price drops significantly, even if only ordering 5 or 10 items. So what may cost $1000 for a one-off case, will only cost about $2000 for 10 cases (~$200 each). The price drop is that dramatic.

I'm wondering whether anyone would be interested in collaborating on a custom NAS enclosure, or whether you'd even be interested in buying one assuming they looked good and had all the aforementioned features.

To give you an idea of what I'm currently thinking:
All aluminium; as sturdy as practical. 1.5mm for chassis, 2mm for face plate, 1mm for cover.
Macbook-like bead blasted finish. Perhaps anodised for a range of colours.
Support for 4x5.25" drive bays to allow for two 2x5.25"-to-3x5.25" hotswap enclosures.
Fully covered face plate (with ventilation holes) to hide relatively ugly hot-swap drive bays. Held on by strong magnets to allow for instant access to hot-swap drives laying behind. Looks pretty without sacrificing practicality.
Support for Mini-ITX motherboard and full-height expansion slot. ~60mm clearance for CPU cooler.
Power button and LED. Small hole in faceplate will show LED light. Power button will be hidden behind face plate; it's a NAS, you shouldn't to use the power button often.
CNC bending and other cheaper forms of manufacturing will be preferred over more costly milling. Internal structure will be covered by faceplate, and single-piece U-shape body (much like the body of the QNAP's, but with a nicer finish hopefully).
I want this NAS to be pretty. I'll be going for a minimalist look, similar to Lian Li cases. I'll do up some example designs in Google Sketchup which I'll post here.

My goal is to make a cheaper, prettier and higher performing custom NAS than an equivalent appliance from QNAP or Synology, at roughly the same size (under 13 litres). So for $1200, instead of a 6-bay QNAP with 1GB RAM and Atom processor, you get can get a beefy Quad-Core IvyBridge processor, 16GB RAM and the same number of drives. Something more than capable of running FreeNAS or Windows Server, and which can be more like a general purpose server than file server.

So, would anyone be interested in buying such a case. What would be your upper spending limit so I have a rough idea what cost targets need to be. I'll be aiming for under $300 per case, excluding hot-swap drive cages as they can be configured in many ways. Still very early days though, so I'm after feedback on the idea, as well as gauging interest.

I want as few parts as possible. A two-piece chassis (like most Lian Li cases), two-piece cover (U-shape cover for top and sides; flat face for front), internal structure for 5.25" bays, PSU, SSD and of course motherboard, as well as power button and LED which will be purchased off-the-shelf. I'd also get some off-the-shelf case feet (nice polished metal ones).

So hopefully only 10 pieces all up for structure, and only a few pieces for the complementary accessories like power buttons, etc. Everything will be assembled with standard-size phillips and thumb screws; countersunk wherever possible and no rivets. I'd send them out fully assembled though of course.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Wardrop, welcome to the forums. :welcome:

I appreciate the offer for the cases, but we do not allow group purchases on our forum, nor do we allow sales outside of the classifieds. You would need an ISP/Edu/Gov/Mil email address in your forum profile and 100 quality posts to get access.

This would not be a group purchase. I'll be buying it all, and no one will be bound to any kind of agreement. This is basically about gauging interest and better understanding what people want, so I can feel reasonably comfortable going off and making 10 of these. Who knows, this could be the beginning of a boutique case manufacturing venture.

You would still need access to the classifieds to sell the cases here. I don't think that will be an issue if you wanted to have a discussion about the case here, though (and you updated your email address). :)

I hadn't considered selling them here. It's a possibility, but I'd probably sell them on ebay or something. I'm not looking that far ahead. This is all about assessing feasibility at this point in time.

EDIT: My email address is up-to-date ???

I hadn't considered selling them here.
I apologize. I read your post as you wanting to gather prospective buyers rather than gathering input to the case itself. If you simply want a discussion, there is no problem here. Sorry about that.

Yeah, no worries. On a positive note, this threads has already had more activity on these forums than it has on the other two forums I've posted on :) It's such a niche' thing that it's hard to find those to which this is relevant to. Plenty of historical examples on Google of people wanting this exact thing.

It is certainly an interesting project, for sure. When considering a NAS enclosure, I take everything into account, but prioritize functionality over looks. I would want it to have a quality build and good cooling. Cost has less importance, but you should be able to compete feature-wise with other ones on the market.

I wouldn't suggest including a RAID card with the enclosure for a few reasons. Users may want a specific card; be it brand, features, whatever. Additionally, if you include a card, it would "date" the enclosure and eventually not be useful.

Do you have any preliminary drawings or sketches of how it will look? While I wouldn't be interested in purchasing one, I'd be interested in helping design it, even if I just give a few random suggestions.

I do have have some preliminary sketchup models. They were primarily focused around sizing and cooling. Seeing how small an enclosure could be practically made. I originally intended to send the models off to case manufacturers like Lian LI to give them ideas and hopefully get them to produce something similar. I'm uploading the sketchup model now. Should be done in 5 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest including a RAID card with the enclosure for a few reasons. Users may want a specific card; be it brand, features, whatever. Additionally, if you include a card, it would "date" the enclosure and eventually not be useful.

No raid controller will be included. Might have to fix up my wording. It will be sold with the components you expect any case to have, and nothing more. If I did go down the route of creating a custom backplane, that would be the exception, but of course it would be a dumb backplane and simply pass-through to your SATA/SAS controller (on-board or as an expansion card).

Here are those models I made in Google Sketchup. Once again, ignore some of the aesthetics as they're variable, but the dimensions and layout I'm satisfied with. You'll see a series of cases which would fit a bespoke hot-swap configuration, and a series of cases designed to take standard 5.25" enclosures. The 4x 5.25" design is the one I'm most interested in.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0QYHTaybWU_ZEhGeDRncEF6dTA

I don't have a program to open skp files. Could you do screenshots?

Just go download Google Sketchup. It's free (and cross platform I believe). It'll give you much more information that screenshots. Besides, there's about 7 case designs in that file, so taking screenshots would take a while.

Google SketchUp is only for Windows/Mac. I have neither on me, at the moment.

Oh, I see. I'm at work at the moment, so covertly taking screenshots may be difficult. I'll see what I can do.

I think that is a good start. Would switching the power supplies to full ATX spec be difficult for space? Being locked into the stock or a specialty power supply is annoying.

It's a standard 1RU Power Supply. Sometimes called Flex. Many manufacturers make them, Seasonic being a good example. SFX, TFX and ATX are all too big.

I like where you're going - and agree that there is certainly a gap in the market here. I've been looking for a good mITX NAS case for quite some time - so far the fractal design node 304 seems like the best of the limited options.

I've also come across this:
http://nbtaifa.en.alibaba.com/produ..._Swappable_SATA_SAS_Drive_Bays_Mini_ITX_.html

There was another thread recently that talked about getting these back in the states. I think it's exactly what you're looking for (as am I)

Back