• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead End?- No Way Out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TASOS

P-III 750MHZ FCPGA SL462 cB0 on a MSI 6309 V-2.0B
Rock stable @915MHZ FSB=122 V=1.70

Wont boot at all with FSB=133

I tryied FSB=129 V=1,85(max for my mobo) it booted WIN98SE as
P-III 1GHZ B!!!
I run Sandra 2001 Pro,did the burn-in for 2 hours (max temp 45C)
I run 3DMark 2001....no problem,also office applications too.......
.....but sometimes my screen goes black with my cursor ticking and
froozes....what is wrong? what should i look for?
Is it the chip's limit or is it some settings-adjustments?

It sure isn't my ram,cause in previous o\c was working perfect at
147mhz on the same mobo with a P-III 550@808 FCPGA.

Please help me out !!

*(See my previous post "advice" for full system specs if needed)

Jasu TASOS, welcome to the Forum,
Please, what are your chip temps @full load (100% load)? Not an heat prob?
About the voltage well, probably your chip want more power, so you can try using the Pin Wiring mod, but first of all you must check your system temps, I suggest you MotherBoardMonitor that you can found at http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Hey TASOS, like I said in your other post, the keys to overclocking these coppermine chips are exceptional cooling and increasing the voltage. You have a GlobalWin FOP cooler, those are great coolers, I have one myself, but they are tricky to install properly. Sometimes too much of the thermal paste gets squeezed out when you press down on it to snap the clip into place. Try removing the sink, cleaning it al up, then very carefully reinstalling it. Try not to move the sink around during installation. The Doors is right, we need to know what your load temps are at this point. If the temps are low enough, then you might need to increase voltage a little. There is a "wire trick" that might help, but first you need to deal with cooling and check temps. Do you have extra case fans? Did you put a fan onto the mobo northbridge sink? What kind of thermal paste are you using?

Well,....i'm still where i started !!
Still @915 fsb=122 v=1,70

I have a Global Win FOP32 and added some Arctic Silver II
I used MB-5 that reports 45 C at full load.

I can still boot into Win98SE @966 fsb=129 v=1,85 but i cant run
3D Mark 2001......blue screens and errors!!

If you think it could be the voltage,so that i have to overcome the
1,85v limit of my mobo....plz explain to me how the wire trick works?
I've seen some diagramms from the intel data sheet for my cB0
P-III stepping...and if i got it wright,i'll have a 2,05v if i connect thouse pins?....but can i still adjust the voltage up-down?
For example : go to 1,95 or 2,10 for instanse?

I'm still waiting for HELP.....if there is some.
I just want to know that i did everything i could....and run out of
options.

Thanks again
Tasos

Last edited:
Ok, now we have some info to work with. First, you can do 915 MHz (fsb=122 v=1.70). You shouldn't have to increase voltage past the mobos limit to go higher. Besides, 1.85v is a good stopping point. Personally, I don't like going above 1.9v with air cooling. Several things could be causing the roadblock. The most important one is that you have a heat problem. Do not raise the voltage until you get that computer cooled better. When overclocked, these P-III CPUs often get unstable at about 45 degrees. Forget about the wire trick right now. If you raise voltage anymore you might fry the chip. You never said anything about case cooling or other cooling mods. You can have the biggest and best CPU cooler in the world, but if you have no case circulation, it won't do you much good. I yanked the 60mm fan off my FOP and mounted a high output 80mm fan which flows far more air than even the Delta 60mm fan. Other things to consider are RAM not being rated high enough or the PCI bus being too far out of spec. Once you have better cooling, I'd try 133 FSB so that your PCI bus will be back in spec.

Last edited:
Well, my point of view is a little bit different about temps coz my C2 600 cB0 is rock stable even if @full load go around 46 degree C, but the suggestion of batboy to increase the cooling section is right, so at this point try to install a pair of good 92 or 120mm case fans (I'm using Sunon's with high Cfm), replace the Fop32 fan, and if still not enough try with the Pin Wiring mod for higher voltages.

Note: the air sucked into the case, must be the same of the blowed out (considering the fans Cfm).

My suggestions:

Get some Arctic Silver 2 if your not yet using it.

Ditch that FOP for a more mannly copper heatsink, I like the millenium Glaciator.

Duct air to the new heatsink's fan's intake from and 80mm high out fan mounted on the sidepanel using a plastic kitchen funnel cut to size, and krazy glue to the 80mm fan.

Last edited: