• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Lanparty i865PE + 2.6C Overclockin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiyoshilionz

I'm an AMD guy but I'm helping a friend start overclocking his computer. I got him a setup with:

SP-94
92mm Vantec Tornado controlled by Sunbeam Rheobus
2 x 80mm Tornado case fans

I'm not familiar at all with OC'ing P4's but we have my PC4000 RAM in there and it can go to 265 or so, but it's horribly unstable. We've tried increasing the voltage but it hasn't really helped much unless we bump it to something like 1.70V, and I don't want to harm his processor. Right now it's back at stock speeds so that it doesn't crash every program in existence.

One weird thing is that no matter what the Vcore is, the CPU temp at idle is almost ALWAYS 40 degrees. And when you shut off P95 or whatever stress tester, the temp always goes from high-forties STRAIGHT to 45, and then back down to 40. It cools off REALLY fast. Is this bad motherboard temp readings or just the way P4's work?

ACtually we're in a really cold room but his Tornadoes are both exhaust because the cables wouldn't reach to the intake positions. So we're getting really crappy airflow.

We'd have to keep the processor really slow to keep it running in the 30's. Heck, in stock mode, 200 x 13 @ 1.525V it'll run at 40 degrees idle. Right now we're P95'ing it at 250 x 13, 1.63V in CPUZ. But one other thing we've found out about his setup is that his generic PSU is really crappy. We'll set it to 1.75V and it runs at 1.6V, so we're looking at new ones to get. That could definetely help stability...

Back