• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Prime 95 really put your processor into load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Well, one day I was running Prime 95 on my PIII, and I forgot to turn it off before I started playing Counter Strike (I play with bots due to my slow internet). Anyway, I put in 15 bots, and I didn't notice any lag at all. I just couldn't believe it once I closed the program and found Prime 95 just torturing along. I don't exactly think CS takes up a lot of processing, but I think I should've experienced at least some lag from this running Prime 95, which is why I wonder if it really fully loads the processor? Or is it that CS is such an old game that it doesn't matter if I run it and Prime 95 at the same time?

Thanks

Tipycol

Yeah, same thing with me. I would load up MOHAA or GTA3 and wouldn't notice any lag. These games put a considerable load on the CPU.

sm0x said:
Yeah, same thing with me. I would load up MOHAA or GTA3 and wouldn't notice any lag. These games put a considerable load on the CPU.

Well at least I'm not the only one :D
Still anyone know if the program really doesn't put things under load? Or does it have that process allocation thing that SETI and F@H have that when something needs to use the CPU, it gives up some of the processor usage to the games?

It is designed to be of the lowest priority, so that if something else with normal priority comes along, it freely gives up CPU time.

i think that when u use CS the priority of prime95 went down. it would take longer to finish one of those test. say one test took 5 secs to perform. if u have cs it would take maybe 10 secs to perofmr???im jsut using this as an example...

Prime95 stresses the cpu more at mathematical calculations than any other stress test out there that I am aware of which is why it is so good at testing reliability. It has the ability to detect the slightest errors in equations which cna report reliability concerns before any other application.

When Sandra or 3DMK2K01 fails to crash or report instability giving you that false 'my system is stable' satisfaction, Prime will rain on your parade.

It's THE app I use for stability testing.

-out.

yes...prime95 gives up the cpu% to any other program running alongside...but your system will maintain around 100% usage...once you turn of CS...prime will take anything not in use...as simple as that...
btw...where do you get the CS bots? are they any good?

Yes, I love to OC my system to see just how far I can push a particular processor and the extra performance never hurts either.:D

But for me no MHz gain is worth instability. When I first joined these forums a fellow member told me about Prime. After thinking my system was stable and then running Prime, I saw things in a whole other light.

Then again, stability is not as much as a priority to some as it is with me.

-out.

change the tread prority to 10

that will lag any system

SupermanCK said:
yes...prime95 gives up the cpu% to any other program running alongside...but your system will maintain around 100% usage...once you turn of CS...prime will take anything not in use...as simple as that...
btw...where do you get the CS bots? are they any good?

I get them from the main Counter Strike site here. I use RealBot, so I can't comment on Androidbot. Basically the bots will have very good accuracy against you (they get a lot of headshots which I think is realistic to players nowadays), however they have a few problems. One is when the bots are shooting against each other, it sometimes takes up to a minute for one to kill the other, mostly because they are missing each other :(. There is also a problem of them getting stuck in a wall or at a door, or just stuck with other bots trying to go through the door. Still I find them very realistic and it's better than playing with no one :D

Back