• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Done My Research.. Now I Need the Final OK From You Guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliot ness

Registered
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
$190

MB: DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D $129

RAM: OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

$139.50
DRIVE: LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black - Retail $48

PSU: ENERMAX 535W INTEL ATX 12V VER. 2.0 PSU, SLI, DUAL FAN, SATA, 24PIN POWER SUPPLY! $79

VC: Leadtek PX6600GT TDH Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $164

HD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200R0 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM $99

Some Cheap Case: $30

Total: $878

Again this is my first PC and I'm using it primarily for graphic design(photoshop/illustrator) and to play BF2(though I'm not real big on pc games, I'm just a big fanatic of the BF series). I plan to OC a little bit, but not too much.

Anything you see incompatible or better choice/substitutes welcome, and if I'm missing anything :cool: ..

My budget is around $1000, more or less

First I would strongly suggest that you get a S-ATA drive or perhaps a 160GB S-ATAII drive which you can get at Newegg for the same price which will increase your load times. And since you will be doing lot of photo ediging and gaming you should look around for 6800NU which you can find for the same price if no little higher so you can nvflash it to GT/U. Beside that everything else looks good.

Also you might want to look around for 2GB 1GBx2 RAM kits. I believe that PQI is selling some for $168 at egg.

XP-90 or 120, the 120 lets you have a 120mm fan...but it's BIG!!!
If your doing video editing you might want to look into a p4 solution. AMD is better for gaming, however that's very small, it's mainly video card, p4 is definetly better at editing/compiling. (the AMD won't be a slouch either though, don't get me wrong).

Also a SATAII drive isn't gonna be faster than the drive you listed. They're both new and the only difference is the interface (NCQ sucks for SATAII and doesn't help and I'm pretty sure his controller doesn't support it anyway). PATA will be around for ages so no worry about that going obsolete.

Perhaps a better video card if budget warrant it, but if it doesn't I think you got a solid setup

thanks ajrettke.. so i'm gonna assume that the xp-90 is smaller.. i really don't care much for looks as far as a case goes, whats important for the case is that it's very mobile and not very big, and preferrably with a handle on the top. if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to drop'em.. also, would you say that HD i listed is fine? or could i find a better deal, i really don't need anymore than 80-100GB.. now that i think about it, there was no point on listing that 200GB :rolleyes: .. i can probably find that same model with lesser capacity

hows this drive compared to the one i already have listed

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3160827AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16822148034
$91.00

Last edited:
Updated:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
$190

MB: DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D $129

RAM: OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

$139.50
DRIVE: LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black - Retail $48

PSU: ENERMAX 535W INTEL ATX 12V VER. 2.0 PSU, SLI, DUAL FAN, SATA, 24PIN POWER SUPPLY! $79

VC: Leadtek PX6600GT TDH Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $164

HD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200R0 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM $99

Antec LAN BOY SUPER LANBOY Silver anodized aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Retail $85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129145

Total: $933

Last edited:
It says the lanboy has 2 120mm fans, will I still be needing a HSF and any extra fans or will a HSF by itself be just fine.. and other than the 6600/6800 and the 1gb/2gb any more suggestions?

Last edited:
Welcome >>> I think at least a 6800NU..Few dollars more and a big performance jump ..If ya unlock pipes and shaders and over clock it, again a big jump over the 6600gt..

You might want to change the PSU to a forton.

And yes, you should spend a little bit more for a 6800GT or 6800GT Ultra.

For the HDD, get a SATA one, it'll be almost the same price, maybe even cheaper. Since you have a DVD burner drive, you don't need 200GBs, well that's all up to you, I would buy a SATA for a cheaper price and just store video editing stuff on DVDs.

The antec lanboy is a great case. I've never seen one in person, but the pics from newegg show it to be a great case, the layout, cooling, cosmetics, and functionality are simply the best I've seen in any mid tower EVER.

For the PATA/SATA HDD, get whatever is cheaper...I'm pretty sure PATA will be because everyones on a SATA craze and thinks it's better even though it's NOT ANY BETTER in real world performance. And as for the fact that's it's easy to work with....yeah until you bump a cable and snap that terribly designed SATA clip and bust it off...luckily hitachi is cool and still honored the RMA because they've had so many problems with that (I no longer have anything SATA).

for the HSF, if your not gonna OC just get a retail CPU...if do plan to, are unsure, or will in the future get the oem and a HSF now.

Back