• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual 172 watt pelts in a Maze 2.2, Results and a pic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colin

Arctic Silver Senior
I finally got the dual 172 pelts up in the Maze2.2. Ambient is 27.8C, case 30.9C, air exiting radiator (drawn from inside the case) 35C, water 52.3C, socket thermistor idles at 9 to 10C and full load at 35C. This is with a Duron at 1016 mHz and a VCore of 2.04 volts, the Birds can wait until this new configuration is sorted out. The pelts are drawing 19 amps at 20 volts.

While I’m pleased that nothing went up in smoke this time, it’s obvious the heat is not getting out of the coolant fast enough. I picked up the parts for a cooling tower yesterday and should have some results to post by the end of the weekend.

A big thanks to Dan, Dennis and Jeremy at Danger Den, the high performance cooling artists.

Here is a pic of the Maze 2.2 installed on my Abit KT7A-R.

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=48642929[/URL]"]

I am curious to see the results of the cooling tower as I have been kicking around the same idea of dual 172's/DD Maze 2-2. I have all the parts here but the only holdup is I have been thinking of a way to get the heat out of the water. It is very humid where I am in the summer so I am not sure if evaporative cooling is going to hold up, at least with swamp coolers they seem to work better in dry areas. My chilled water setup is out of the question it is only good for about 100w or maybe a little more of heat.

I think the cooling tower & dual 172 pelts will kick the proverbial fanny out of anything short of a Vapochill.

Tom's Hardware did a very complete review of the Vapochill.

Wow! 52 DegC water temp you need to watch your hoses don't melt !!.
Would a bloody great big radiator be the way to go to cool you water (maybe one off a big motorbike c/w fan or similar)? bit more practical than a tower.

Until you get a better way of cooling the water like you said then you'll probably get MUCH better temps with just one of those peltiers. I saw a review where a guy used either a 156W or 172W and was getting below-freezing temps and rising to about 6C under full load. Btw, what is your water pump rated at? Withg the amount of heat that is creating you'll pretty juch want at least 350Gph. Anything less than that and the water will become oversaturated with heat inside the waterblock and you'll lose thermal efficiency... but then again it won't matter if you're radiator can't handle the load. I look forward to seeing your tower results.

-=mac=-

Mac42 (May 17, 2001 05:17 p.m.):
Until you get a better way of cooling the water like you said then you'll probably get MUCH better temps with just one of those peltiers. I saw a review where a guy used either a 156W or 172W and was getting below-freezing temps and rising to about 6C under full load. Btw, what is your water pump rated at? Withg the amount of heat that is creating you'll pretty juch want at least 350Gph. Anything less than that and the water will become oversaturated with heat inside the waterblock and you'll lose thermal efficiency... but then again it won't matter if you're radiator can't handle the load. I look forward to seeing your tower results.

-=mac=-

I am not an idiot. :) I do understand what is going on here. I have tried both a 156 watt pelt and a single 172. With lower ambient temps, I still could not get to 6C at full load. As I recall it was about 17C. That was three months ago. My pump is a Danner 700.

I planned to use a cooling tower from the beginning of this project. First I wanted to see what would happen in my current system. It also provided a convenient test bed. The cooling tower should be installed tomorrow.

I have the exact same peltier/waterblock. it's a nice setup, but it would work better if I had a more powerful PSU.

you say you have your radiator draw air from the case??? am i right??? if i am that is baaaaad, the air in your case is warmer so the water will cool down slower...

Ms. Nath,

I would rather do the R&D with a $39 CPU. I will put my 1333 Bird in eventually. Hold on to your hat.

eradda02,

Until I tried this dual pelt set up, my case temp was always with in 1C of ambient, which does not have much of an affect on the radiator. Since the heat is no longer being removed from the water, the case heats up a bit. I'll have the cooling tower in tomorrow.

Danger Den.

The Pignato Cooling Tower will be in shortly.

Have you tried running ice water through it's gills Colin?

I've toyed with Pelts and Ice water in the past with some good results. One of these days I'd like to try running dry ice cooled alcohol through a waterblock with a pelt underneath. That would be something to see . . . .

Keep us posted matey.

I have to apologize for the slow response on this project. I expected to have the cooling tower in Friday evening. Friday was my brother-in-law’s funeral. Then Saturday, my niece who has been in China for the last year and a half showed up and most of today will be spent working on my church’s radio station. Stay tuned.

Jeff,

I have not tried ice water. Too much of a hassle pulling the radiator out of the case. I don’t want to hack up this H20 rig. I will probably end up giving it to my wife and putting the pelt setup in another case.

Quick results: ambient 26.3C, water load 36.2C, CPU load 19C, water idle 35.5C, CPU idle -3C. Not quite what I expected. It seems the pelts put out a lot of heat to dispose of.

My wife has named the cooling tower El Fuente! Off to work on the radio station.

instead of 2 172 watt peltiers , wouldnt be more efficient to have 1 , say 400 watt peltier? I mean it must be possible and i bet they do exist. This way one eliminates the loss of energy transfer from one peltier to the other.

Back