• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Lan on A&N8X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JEwing85

Registered
on the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe I'm Going to Order it has The Feature Of Dual Lan. . . What In The Heck Does This Mean? Does It Mean I can Use My Mobo As A Router or Switch To Share Internet With Another Computer? i didnt Totaly Undertand this Feature. Although That would be an awsme feature i doubt thats what is for.

JEwing85 said:
on the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe I'm Going to Order it has The Feature Of Dual Lan. . . What In The Heck Does This Mean? Does It Mean I can Use My Mobo As A Router or Switch To Share Internet With Another Computer? i didnt Totaly Undertand this Feature. Although That would be an awsme feature i doubt thats what is for.

It measn that you have two network cards built into the motherboard. You can do just what you thought you could do with it and share a internet connection with another pc if you like, without adding anymore hardware.

P.S. you should P.M. a mod and have this moved to asus motherboards

This may be for the ASUS board or network board, ... anyway

You can use the second connection

1. For single computer internet sharing. E.g. just hook up a laptop using a cable to the second nic socket for internet access, assuming the first one already has an existing network and internet connection.

2. For multiple computer access as a router, assuming the first one has an existing network access, the second connection can then connect to an external ethernet switch, and more than one computers can then be connected to that switch for network and internet sharing (as a new sub-net).

In additon, it requires the usual sharing and router setup. It is required to set up internet sharing on the first connection as a subnet gateway and a DCHP server. And the second connection as a DCHP client in a subnet of the first one.

A regular non cross-over cable will work w/ the 3COM nic even for computer to computer connection (I found this secret) , but a cross-over cable is needed for the nforce2 nic if used as the 2nd connection for computer to computer connection.

Last edited:
SpaceyWilly said:
it means you can have a three person LAN party without the need for a network switch. Which is cool if you ask me.

If setup properly, if there are N A7N8X machines plus some N+1 machines, probably one can have a lan party of 2N+1 persons.

I haven't tried that, think just a possibility.

Back