• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ebay - No More Money Order or Personal Check Transactions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know, I was ripped off and lost $35 to someone that would not ship my item out. PayPal refunded my money within 2weeks or so. As for the no negative feedback from sellers, for the most part I think it is good. What does a seller need to leave negative feedback for? Nonpayment? You file a dispute with Ebay for that.

All the changes seem ok, however the no Checks or Money Orders policy is completely stupid.

On thing about paypal. About 2004 or so. I donated to what I thought was a worthy project. Just a 20 spot or so. It paid off in making a good friend also.

No mater how many times I asked paypal to stop spamming me. It never happens. I haven't used the paypal account since 2004, and actually told the bank to not allow anything to happen on that front. To this day, only that one transfer happened. The account was closed right after the donation happened.
I still keep getting spammed. eBay/paypal can care less about anyone who uses the service Or what they think. They are not a bank and once the money is in their control. You are sort of at the mercy of the terms of your contract with them. No FDIC, so nothing to see here.

At one point paypal wasa killer concept. Now it sort of sucks. So was ebay at one point.

Sorry about my rant. I just wish they would clena up and actually becoem a bank. So I could have real protections. Then I might use the service. Other than that, there is to many options out there. It would be nice to have that one.

. What does a seller need to leave negative feedback for? Nonpayment? You file a dispute with Ebay for that.
Try disputing unsatisfied costumer. When costumer buys a product brakes it or claims it's broke, files dispute with PP for money back. Negative feedback should be left but possibly not have effect on ebay user rep score. The problem with negative feedback on ebay was that it was damaging either seller or buyer reputation. Both seller and buyer usually did go as far a leaving one becasue if one did the other party would do the same.

Ebay should expand feedback to more than 80 characters.

Last edited:
In the end ebay/paypal lost class action case. Probably they adjusted their policy so it won't happen in the future in regards to funding other than credit cards

http://www.steelesettlement.com/

Overview

A settlement has been given preliminary approval in a class-action lawsuit against eBay Inc. and PayPal, Inc. (collectively, “Defendants”). If you are a member of the Class, you may complete a Claim Form to receive a benefit, or you can exclude yourself from the settlement, or object to it.

The Settlement will resolve a lawsuit against Defendants involving claims arising out of representations in the PayPal User Agreement regarding PayPal’s policies and practices for responding to refund requests from those customers who pay for transactions through PayPal using funds from funding sources other than credit cards. The Defendants deny that they did anything wrong. The Court did not decide which side was right, but both sides agreed to the settlement.
Benefits to the Class

You may be a Class Member and could get a benefit if you are a U.S. based PayPal account holder who funded a PayPal transaction on or after February 1, 2004, using a source other than a credit car and who: (i) subsequently requested a reversal of the transaction through PayPal’s prevailing Buyer Complaint Policy and/or Buyer Protection Policy; (ii) did not receive a refund equal to 100% of your transaction payment in response to such request from PayPal or your bank; and (iii) through the timely submission of a Claim Form under oath, attest to a reasonable and good faith belief that you would have received a full reversal of such payment had you used a valid credit card in your possession at the time of the subject transaction to fund the payment and filed a timely chargeback request with your credit card issuing bank. The Settlement provides, among other things, that certain persons who funded transactions through PayPal on or after February 1, 2004 using a source other than a credit card, may be entitled to receive a share of three million five hundred thousand dollars ($3,500,000), which will be paid into a Settlement Fund by PayPal.

I wonder if the PR people who come up with the information such as jiggamanjb posted really think users are too stupid to see through their bs. We aren't dumb enough to think that eBay will reduce total transaction costs and the tiny reduction in listing fees is going to be made up overall (and probably increased overall) as they say even though some categories are going to be reduced, note the lack of detail on increased transaction fees though. It's offensive and degrading to be treated in such a manner, it's no wonder so many sellers are souring on eBay.

What does a seller need to leave negative feedback for? Nonpayment? You file a dispute with Ebay for that.
Ebay does not always act correctly or promptly on disputes. Neg FB by sellers tends more toward if a buyer takes 2 months to pay, claims nonexistent damage or otherwise tries to scam them after the fact (I once dealt with one tool who thought he could dictate shipping price and wanted me to end open auctions and give them to him for free after winning one item; turned out that he had a history of doing this to high-FB sellers, and my neg was what finally got him booted)

I don't know, I was ripped off and lost $35 to someone that would not ship my item out. PayPal refunded my money within 2weeks or so. As for the no negative feedback from sellers, for the most part I think it is good. What does a seller need to leave negative feedback for? Nonpayment? You file a dispute with Ebay for that.

All the changes seem ok, however the no Checks or Money Orders policy is completely stupid.
Paypal almost always sides with the buyer no matter what happens in the transaction. They are not trustworthy, especially so for sellers. ALWAYS use a credit card for funding. Even though their EULA states that you cannot reverse a charge, the credit card companies can and will. When that happens, ebay automatically subtracts the money from the seller, weather there was any wrong doing or not. Paypal is extremely shady and I always request money orders for high value items. I suppose I won't be using ebay for those items anymore.

Ebay sucks. And most of the others out there are virtually unheard of and for most people are seen as unsafe as they are not that well known.

If you think about it. It is possible ebay can take away 30% of your earnings when you sell with all of those transaction fees.

I just sold an item on half.com and boy I won't do it again. I found out that before I could get my money and the buyer was officially obligated to pay me was when they received my item. That means I had to ship my item out first before they paid. I mean, that right there is a good way to screw a seller. Hopefully the buyer will pay, but now half.com pays me and that takes 7 days. I sold this item 3 weeks ago and have yet to see my money!

I wish they blew up and the former CEO raped by a bunch of gorillas with red hot skewers for *****.

Back