• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally have Pcsof my water cooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SemiCycle

Here ya go guys, I finally have some pics of my completed watercooling setup. You may have already seen some of them, but I'm going to repost some in this thread.

It's about time I joined the party!!!!!!!!!

BTW, in the past when I left seti crunching, my cpu temp would get up to 51c easy. I've been running Seti for about 2 hours now, and it hasn't got past 39c yet. My ambient is currently between 30-31c. It normally runs at about 33-36c. I'm very impressed. I'm only using motherboard monitor to give me the temps, so I know they aren't acurate, but they should be to scale okay when you compare both my before WCing and after WCing temps.

Here is some info on my ghetto RES. I cut a small triangle shaped hole in the corner of the top for teh pump plug to fit through. I then cut a small piece of cardboard int eh shape of a triangle that was the same size as the hole. I then put on some JBweld to seal it. OF course you can't see the cardboard now. For my fill hole, I cut the top of a 2 litter bottle off and used that. The barb at the top and the side need no explanation.

One more thing. JBweld has got to be on of the best inventions EVER.

41.jpg

44.jpg

43.jpg

42.jpg

30.jpg

looks good. only i see a problem. the heatercore is resting on top of your optical drives. how does the air get thru it?? and the heat from the optical drives could hurt ur temps

grim said:
looks good. only i see a problem. the heatercore is resting on top of your optical drives. how does the air get thru it?? and the heat from the optical drives could hurt ur temps

At the moment, the Heatercore is actually about 3 mm from the top of my DVD drive. I put the feet from one of my really old AT PC cases on the 4 corners of the DVD drive to raise it up. Also, I have the 3 fans at the top currently blowing OUT, not IN. I plan to try it the other way soon to see if it helps. I also plan to try a combination of 1 or 2 fans blowing in and then 1 to 2 blowing out to see if that helps too.

Last edited:
looks really nice man, and with the heatercore, yes even tho its got about 3mm, thats not enough for air to get thru it, and i remember you talking about that koolance thing now, thats cool you got it!

Sweet job. But I too will have to voice my opinion about the heatercore. I used to have a rad setup very simillar to that, right above my drives. It really didn't work out too well. If you want to keep it like that, your best bet it to make sure that the air is being pushed through the core, and not pulled. This will help limit the noise from the air flow, b/c it looks like your going to have a lot of restricted air flow.

Maybe try to rebuild that top fan thingy yopu made so that it's a little higher up, thus letting you put some spacers under the core.

Still a nice piece of work and inovation though.

Hum, not too many people like the heater core placement :) I know what I can do. I'll remove my DVD drive that is right below the heater core and put the 5 1/4 bezel back on in its place. Then i'll run the system like that for the rest of the night and see if temps go down. I'll keep you guys posted on temp changes. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hum. I used to 3 drives in this system, but I moved the CDR to my celeron 800 machine a while ago. Right now there is an 8X samsung DVD and a Kenwood True72X drive. Since I almost exclusively watch movies on my home theater setup, I guess the DVD drive is getting the Boot. Hum????? Then I guess I would take out my hollywood DVD decoder card too.....darn. I love that card. Maybe it will get use in a HTPC I'm planning down the road.

Of course all of that will only come to pass IF the temps go down :) They probably will though, you guys are normally right on this kinda of thing. Time to reboot and yank out the DVD.

hey if you end up removing a drive you can always make it external...or find another place in the case where you can mount it and cut a hole for the disk tray

i used that once, on my very first rez i made... it had a pop bottle cap for filling

Could you sell the two drives and pick up a Combo Drive? I have never dealt with a combo drive, so i dont know if their quality is any good, but i suppose its worth consideration.

Good call guys. I've been running seti for about 2 hours now. My load temps are about 2-3c lower. It has been 3c almost the enitre time, but for a few quick moments, it did read only a 2c difference from the temp I got with the DVD drive in the bay. Also, my ambient temp dropped 1c too. I guess the extra space is helping to disperse the heat more.

Since I have the extra space below the heater core now, maybe I can rig up some kind of shroud, or add some 15mm fans to the bottom of the heater core to help move the air up and out. Any ideas would be great.

If you guys can think of anyways to sprouse up the front of the koolance shroud that would be cool too.

I was thinking of something like a back lit temp probe. Does this even exsist?

Back