• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox Deer Park

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
I am cross linking from this thread.

What is Deer Park and what makes it different from the current release?

The page is here for this particular release.

First off it is a public test of the next generation of the browser. It is not all that stable and is in public testing. There is two branches out. This one is the Alpha 1 release. (The Alpha 2 has been regressed.) This is for the public to test and use the browser so the kink can be worked out. You should understand the aspect they are trying to convey here. If you know how to file a bug(zilla), you might do good for this test. Or if you like the cutting edge.

Deer Park Alpha 1 is an alpha release of our next generation Firefox browser and it is being made available for testing purposes only. Deer Park Alpha 1 is intended for web application developers and our testing community. Current users of Mozilla Firefox 1.0.x should not use Deer Park Alpha 1.

What it does over the current generation:

* Software update system to streamline product upgrades (currently disabled) This is an update system without reinstallign the whole browser each time there is an update. All you do is update it like most software{Windows Update}
* Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance My testing showed this to be very true. I notice a faster startup and page rendering improvement.
* Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs
* Improvements to popup blocking
* Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater)
* Several security enhancements

I had some issues on my machine and did not want to debug so I went with the current stable tree. You ask what is that tree I mention?

Well it is the nightly releases. This is were the fun of Firefox is. You can't get no more cutting edge than this. Here is the nightly trunk. To even geek further, try the tinderbox builds. These are the hourly ones.. Yeah the real unstable builds. Go up two levels in the tree they will show there. You are not in the realm of the regular user here. You understand how Firefox works and want to help in ways beyond the average user. Or you are a super surfing geek that has to have the newest of everything. Some other random Link for a good read and to understand what the Deer Park is. It is not a pre-release. It is not recommended for casual use, or if you have Firefox all setup and bookmarked. Stuff goes wrong and can break your browser. So I figured I would imply. If you want to look and can't loose information. This thread might give some insight on what is going on.

Final note on Deer Park:

The Deer Park build you are using is NOT A FINAL OR PRE-RELEASE VERSION of Firefox, it has been made available for testing purposes only, with no end-user support. If that sounds scary, you'd probably be better off with the latest version of Firefox that you can download here.

Remember if you do try this and it don't work out. You had a backup of Firefox first. Look to here if you don't already know how to do this. This method will save you alot of time restoring after you unistall and reinstall the browser. A full unistall is required and a full reinstall. Under normal issues copying over is alright to fix problems. I tried this method and had to remove Forefox and all the party files it brings during a normal install. That means removing all traces of Firefox. Then reinstall the browser and move the save folders back into the proper directory.

What I noticed.

I had most of the browser disabled(just the way it was out of the wrapper). It felt very incomplete. It was the basic Firefox. I am used to having all my toys installed. I found out the hard way that when they mention not to have Firefox installed already they really meant it. I got a frame on the bottom of the browser with an error. It was about 15% of the total browser hieght. More issues were limited support for skins and plug ins. I expected that with a Alpha. Since I read this first. Other than that. It looks very promising.

Last edited:
Very informative post :thup:

I would love to try it, but i'm using x64 right now (just got bored) and it doesn't claim to support x64. I'm always willing to try new stuff though ;)

Takes "a set" to try something with no support and very little exposure.

This is pretty interesting, I haven't used it yet but the Upgrade feature looks like it will be very useful when enabled.

I've DLed Deer Park Alpha 1 to my other partition,and prolly will try it from there, thx!

Hmmm...sounds interesting. I may decide to test this after all. Hey, maybe if enough people on the forum become testers we could start a Deer Park testing team, kind of like Team 32 for Folding, or Seti, except more limited.

On a lighter note, does anyone know why they called it Deer Park? I mean I know its an Alpha name and thus a code name subject to change, kind of like Phoenix, but at least for Phoenix and Firefox they seemed to kind of make sense. Those two animals have many admirable virtues and perhaps it was meant to convey that so does the browser, but Deer Park? Its a nice name and all, but I doubt there intent was to use it to extoll the virtues of bottled water onto their browser. Great bottled water, btw. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting this all. Someone, please enlighten me.

Last edited:
Ahh, well that makes sense. Easier to remember names then numbers after all, especially the more unusual ones :rolleyes:.

Wanted to bump this. I'm using Deer Park Alpha 2 and it's working just fine. No bugs yet. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Nope, completely forgot about this Deer Park stuff, ugh so much I'm planning to do w/ my computer, specially since I'm away from it, fun that I have alot to do, bad I'm away LOL.

Works fine for me on Linux. I used DP Alpha 1 for a couple weeks, then switched to Alpha 2 shortly after it was released. Alpha 2 won't start for some reason right now; I think I need to change my path.

electrorcamd said:
Works fine for me on Linux. I used DP Alpha 1 for a couple weeks, then switched to Alpha 2 shortly after it was released. Alpha 2 won't start for some reason right now; I think I need to change my path.

Yeah, i had alpha 1 and it didn't install over top of it like normal FireFox would. I uninstalled Alpha 1 and then installed Alpha 2 myself.

threeme2189 said:
il try the deer park things on the school pc's
why trash mine?

It is your choice to install it on a computer. One thing I would like to remind you on.

If your a Firefox user and enjoy it. You will refrain from installing it (Deerpark) on a system it may mess up the settings or funtionality. If the IT there is not completely familiar with Firefox and he has an issue, you will likely taint the opinion of Firefox and it will probally be hard to convince the IT otherwise.

Another point, this is were I cannot stop you either, just remind you. Why test on a computer that does not belong to you. IF you belive it will break an install please don't install it. IMO risking others install integrity is not a good thing. I can't stop you from installing it, just hope this little guilt trip will help remind you of the basis of morality.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would like to hear some user input on how well it is functioning and the speed increases, if any. I belive the browser is rather stable like the 0.07 days. Any opinions?

Back