• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First timer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lower level coding, like assembler or like lower then BASIC? What do you know now? If you don't know C/C++ that would be at the top of my list.

Visidex said:
Lower level coding, like assembler or like lower then BASIC? What do you know now? If you don't know C/C++ that would be at the top of my list.

I don't know anything now so I guess C++ should be where I go...

Start with BASIC or COMAL for a few weeks - find your feet in programming, get used to the ideas and algorithms.

Java, I feel, is quite difficult - wordy and high level.

Try C and/or C++ after a nice simple language. Get to know the basics and build up from there, within a couple of months you should be able to write decent C/C++ programs.

Have fun!

PF

PenguinFreak said:
Start with BASIC or COMAL for a few weeks - find your feet in programming, get used to the ideas and algorithms.

Java, I feel, is quite difficult - wordy and high level.

Try C and/or C++ after a nice simple language. Get to know the basics and build up from there, within a couple of months you should be able to write decent C/C++ programs.

Have fun!

PF

That's wierd how people can have such different experiences eh :D Because I'm the exact opposite when it comes to Java vs C/C++

Anyways BASIC would be the easiest for sure (I was just thinking that starting with an OOP language would be best)

Zuck Gou :) said:

Anyways BASIC would be the easiest for sure (I was just thinking that starting with an OOP language would be best)
I think starting with a OOP language may be hard for someone with no experience to grasp. BASIC would be the best place to start if you have no prior programming experience.

Thanks guys for all your help, I still haven't decied which way to go yet but it's ok I have a paper do this week anyway ha ha ha...

I would suggest you start with Java - its very easy to learn and is a very popular language nowadays. C++ is way too hard to start with. Visual Basic is also quite easy for beginners - but i hate it.
If you like pascal (which i do) or know a little, i suggest you start with Borland Delphi - its great.

Whether or not C/C++ is too hard to start with just depends on how smart you are, and how apt you are at comprehending something you've likely never done before.

C++ is kinda hard.... i would start with java.. i myself started with turbo pascal, but i didnt really learn much from that class cuase of the teach but it did help me understand alot of code that has helped me in c++... its really up to u on where u wanna begin..

Java is arguably more difficult because it forces one to learn OO programming, and depending on w ho they are, that concept may be alot more weird than starting with normal procedural stuff.

I'd stay away from Visual Basic in any case, that will probably scar you for life. PHP may be a good start, even if its sort of out in left field from what you want to do, it supports alot of fundamental concepts that C/C++ support, has a vaguely similar syntax, but is alot friendlier in terms of what it allows you to fudge.

Of course never having programmed at all ever, it is possible to find a book or something and read up on the language agnostic things, like control structures, loops, etc. Knowing those is the most important thing.

What is with the pounding on VB? It's basic, but then again it suppose to be. C, C++, Java, and Pascal are all much more complicated languages to learn( I know, and use, most of them) VB is most likely the best to start learning as it also has alot of oop capablities that you dont need to learn right away. This gives you the leeway to learn it when you want to.

How many of you guys have used a recent version of VB? Say 6.0 or .net( I have not used .net yet so dont take my word on it) I hated VB until I really started to use it... hell it even has directx extentions now. It's alot more robust than it used to be and being bias is not a good thing. I really hate C(freaking pointers...) but I still use it for alot of stuff that i think is best done with it. Anyone that is in the industry knows sometimes you have to program in something you dont like, or even worse dont know. You dont always have the choice. That's my two cents.

Visidex said:
Lower level coding, like assembler or like lower then BASIC?

lol ASM as low level code. funny that it's machine language and makes smaller and faster programs than C/C++ ever will. as far as Java being harder than C++, it's nearly the same thing, if you know Java, you know C and vice versa. of course, C# is just Java Microsoft-style and J# is just crap. BASIC is easy (why do you think it's called BASIC).

learning any language depends on two things: your intelligence and your patience. if you're not smart enough to grasp things like regex, loops, system logic and what have you, you'll get fed up and quit. if you aren't patient enough, don't even bother starting.

Another Newbie Heard From

I had fortran in school about 25 years ago, I got a C based soley on pity I'm sure. All I remember was those damn punch cards. Any way I'm looking for a language that will leave me with employable skills. Unix type job skills, am I wasting my time with Python, is there a better path?

Re: Another Newbie Heard From

sunday Silence said:
I had fortran in school about 25 years ago, I got a C based soley on pity I'm sure. All I remember was those damn punch cards. Any way I'm looking for a language that will leave me with employable skills. Unix type job skills, am I wasting my time with Python, is there a better path?

UNIX = C
C is the language for Unix.

Back