• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freedom Phone (WTH ?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

I had completely missed this before I saw this video, which made me look into it a tad more - it isn't interesting because of the politics involved, but the phone they used for it, keep in mind that it's currently on sale for ~$499.99

[video=youtube;3KPY-gjmHWA]

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/freedom-phone-why-you-should-avoid-it-what-else-know/ - "...the Freedom Phone is a Chinese phone called the Umidigi A9 Pro that can be bought from AliExpress for as little as $119. He said that the A9 Pro is sold in bulk with custom logos and branding."

For those interested in it, this is the official website for the Freedom Phone, and they apparently added a spec sheet since the video came out - https://freedomphone.com/ - https://freedomphone.com/spec-sheet/

Phone for the group that attacked the Capital...an idiot phone...

Google can spy on me all they want...I am a bit of a bore. Looking forward to the Pixel 6...so they can keep better tabs on me.

I'm trying to figure out what the animosity is toward people who might want a phone free of spyware, tracking and the like? I mean, I looked at the specs, and I don't find it an especially good phones (it's not even got 5G), but seriously, why the specific ridicule based on the desire for freedom from corporate monitoring?

I'm trying to figure out what the animosity is toward people who might want a phone free of spyware, tracking and the like? I mean, I looked at the specs, and I don't find it an especially good phones (it's not even got 5G), but seriously, why the specific ridicule based on the desire for freedom from corporate monitoring?

Nothing to do with tracking, you can buy this on AliExpress (without the branding) for as low as $119.99 and as high as $175.99 depending on spec, but the "Freedom" website are passing them off for $499.99. From my point of view, it's a straightforward scam.

A fool and his money is easily parted.

Any muppet who thinks this is gonna keep Uncle Sam from watching them are super dumb.

I see this more they want it for their idea that they are being surpressed.

:tinfoil:

Nothing to do with tracking, you can buy this on AliExpress (without the branding) for as low as $119.99 and as high as $175.99 depending on spec, but the "Freedom" website are passing them off for $499.99. From my point of view, it's a straightforward scam.
Seems like you're paying for the OS on it and the 'privacy', no?

Seems like you're paying for the OS on it and the 'privacy', no?

The FreedomOS has been around since at least 2016, you can download it free from GitHub, and according to Reddit has stopped being updated in 2018, so I'm actually curious to know if the guy selling it now messed with it further. The "privacy" they mentioned it's simply not having google installed and a browser that comes pre-configured with DuckGoGo, which are both actually a feature of FreedomOS, with the addition of an open app store (which Reddit claims is used mostly to download the app Parler that was banned everywhere else because of the Capitol riot). Why would we pay a penny extra if anyone can buy the phone much cheaper and then install the ROM by themselves :shrug:

In my case it is not animosity towards those who seek privacy (Criminals :D). Just that a phone like this is a better way to get privacy....That video showed its a scam preying on the un informed. I think I read where the NSA sold a whole bunch of phones advertised as private phones, so they could catch a bunch of criminals.

Privacy?

Never sign up for any social network
Never use GPS
and Never actually sign up for network coverage.

and live a boring life so no one would ever want to track you except to advertise.

(Excuse the post I had 2 hours of anesthesia this morning to remove a non cancerous tumor...and I am trying to keep my mind off the pain.:rain:)

Dfonda here's hoping for a quick recovery to your surgery! Are you any relation to the acting family fondas?

Dfonda here's hoping for a quick recovery to your surgery! Are you any relation to the acting family fondas?
I don't think so from we are from Fonda , NY...

and all better from the surgery...They cut my ear off and sewed it back on...and I had a tube sewed in the back of head to drain the blood for a week...Quite hideous looking...Did nothing for a week. He pulled the tube out last monday and the hole in my head bled for a day...and I immediately disregarded instructions and played golf the next day:screwy:....All back to normal now other than no feeling in my ear head and jaw on one side...supposed to go away after 6 months.:thup:

Edit: Oh according to the Wiki for Fonda, Ny it says we are related...(My Bad):shrug:

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/53496-tame-apple-press-wades-into-freedom-phone

“The new phone is getting the sort of reviews you would expect for a $500 device that is nearly as good as a $200 budget Android phone.”

“He said that during elections, he planned to make the Freedom Phone direct users to nearby polling stations. And he aimed to create a news feed on the phone where he could promote conservative articles. “I see it absolutely as one of the ultimate political tools. Everyone has one in their pocket.””

Guy in the video below says it's LineageOS w/Brave browser and DuckDuckGo as search engine, and the app store is a direct link/reskin from the original android store ?

https://lineageos.org/

[video=youtube;3a6q6f31esA]

Back