• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming computer, first build, need help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJJMan75

Registered
Here's what I have so far:

MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

PowerColor AX7990 6GBD5-2DHJ Radeon HD 7990 6GB 384-bit x2 GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

XION Gaming Series XON-980-BK Black with RED LED Light Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (included this just for fun)

AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD AD680KWOHLBOX

I haven't finished choosing components, but my goal is to be able to run any game (and I mean EVERYTHING) on highest visual settings. I'm not even sure if all of these parts will work together and I just need some guidance for my first build.

You would be better off with an FX series processor if you're not using hybrid crossfire.

What on earth do you need that GPU for? How many monitors are you planning on playing on and what resolution? I agree with Atminside I would go with an Fx series processor at a minimum.

By the way, you can get better performance than that 7990 for $1000

AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD AD680KWOHLBOX

You want a real cpu, not an APU. If you have the kind of money to get a 7990, go with an i7 4770K CPU, and a Z87 socket 1150 motherboard.

For the same money as a 7990 you can get an Nvidia Titan, or you can spend only $650 and get a GTX780, which is only slightly slower in most applications.

For ultimate performance, spend $1300, and get 2 GTX 780s.

Do NOT get an A4/6/8/10. Bare minimum get an FX 8320. That goes on a (quality) AM3+ board. But I'd suggest an i7 4770K. It's brand new and it's much faster. Also you get the PCIE3.0 vs AMD's 2.0, and the i7 4770K will save you $ on electricity with it's deep sleep capability.

What on earth do you need that GPU for? How many monitors are you planning on playing on and what resolution? I agree with Atminside I would go with an Fx series processor at a minimum.

I play some serious HD games, and this computer is going to be hooked up to my VIZIO tv via HDMI (hopefully). I would like to have the highest graphics settings on all my games for at least 5 years before needing an upgrade. Why? Am I going to overkill with the GPU?

Size of the monitor doesn't matter resolution does.
I play some serious HD games
JJJMan were only here to help you out, this comment tells us nothing. What games? We play them also, I play BF3 on the pc in my signature. On 1 tv/monitor a 7970 will let you max out anything you throw at it. Future proofing for 5 years is a tall task to ask, we have no idea what requirements will be. Personally I feel you will be better off getting a 7970 and the going X fire in the future if it is necessary. Also no way I'd get that cpu/motherboard combo and try maxing out games on it. Your better off either getting a I5 3570k/Z77 mobo or going for a newer I5 4670k/Z87 especially if you're planning on going X Fire.

Size of the monitor doesn't matter resolution does. JJJMan were only here to help you out, this comment tells us nothing. What games? We play them also, I play BF3 on the pc in my signature. On 1 tv/monitor a 7970 will let you max out anything you throw at it. Future proofing for 5 years is a tall task to ask, we have no idea what requirements will be. Personally I feel you will be better off getting a 7970 and the going X fire in the future if it is necessary. Also no way I'd get that cpu/motherboard combo and try maxing out games on it. Your better off either getting a I5 3570k/Z77 mobo or going for a newer I5 4670k/Z87 especially if you're planning on going X Fire.

I have revised my list of components. I am cutting back on the graphics card and getting an fx processor. I wish I could get intel but their stuff is too expensive for me. Will provide a more detailed list of new components when I get back to my computer (posting from my phone right now). Also, one of the games I am having trouble playing is Planetside 2 on 1080p with the graphics set to Ultra. Hope this helps.

I'm totally lost. That article just confused me even more. Keep in mind that I am a true beginner at this. That said, here is a new list of some components.

GIGABYTE GV-R797OC-3GD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX

That set is perfect, if you are planning on overclocking. If you're not save a little bit on the motherboard and get the Gigabyte UD3. Also go into our power supply section and pick out a quality 750w unit if you're planning on going X fire in the future.

Thanks for your help. I will be ordering these parts along with some other stuff (memory, hard drive, etc.). I might post a thread showing off my rig if it is appropriate to do so.

JJJMan75- I'd get an i5 3670K instead of the FX 8350. Price difference is a mere $40. You get all the same features (including six sata 6gbps ports) but you also get PCIE3.0. This is highly important to you. Here's why:

We switched from PCIE2.0 to PCIE3.0 at the end of 2011 (but only Intel adopted it). Current cards aren't hampered by only having 2.0, but cards coming in a couple of years will be severely bottlenecked by 2.0. If you have 3.0 it lets you add a top of the line replacement GPU in a couple of years to extend your PC's lifespan. With the AMD system you're stuck at PCIE2.0. I'd avoid that like cancer for future upgradeability.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Theocnoob, it is my understanding that if i change to an intel processor, i would also need to change to an intel board and nvidia graphics card. I have done the math several times, and it seems that a decent intel rig would cost me around 1800. My current AMD rig costs 1000... So are you saying intel is really worth the extra 800?

Knufire this is going to be a gaming rig. My goal is to set the resolution to 1080p along with high graphics settings while achieving 60-70 FPS.
My budget is $1500. I already have a mouse, keyboard, speakers, and a tv to use with my pc.
I live in the United States, but still an hour away from anything... and I don't know what a Microcenter is.
I only plan on overclocking when it becomes necessary to maintain satisfactory performance.
This build is a mid tower and I don't care how loud it gets.
As my first build, I would like to be able to make future upgrades to it.
I do not plan on using CrossFire, but would like to have the ability to use it in case I change my mind.
One special request, though: I really prefer AMD for boards and processors, Radeon graphics cards are also my preference. I simply do not have it in my budget to buy intel with nvidia.

Last edited:
Theocnoob, it is my understanding that if i change to an intel processor, i would also need to change to an intel board and nvidia graphics card.

Not true. You can use either amd or nvidia. A long time ago there was a limitation that motherboards would only support one brand's method of multiple gpus but that's now a thing of the past. Even with the old ones you could put a single card in no matter the brand.

As far as amd vs intel for cpu...most games these days are more dependent on your graphics card than your cpu. There is still a lot more performance available from intel. It's up to you whether it's enough of a difference for the premium in price. (See Anandtech's testing as an example)

It seems like every time I find a good set of components, more options are brought up. I'm starting to doubt a list of parts that I thought were perfect. So I'm just going to ask this: What games can the components listed in post #10 handle?

It seems like every time I find a good set of components, more options are brought up. I'm starting to doubt a list of parts that I thought were perfect. So I'm just going to ask this: What games can the components listed in post #10 handle?

It won't perform much differently than what I posted. Here are the differences:

1. In modern games, current Intel CPUs and current AMD CPUs perform about the same. The major differences is that the AMD CPUs draw WAY more power and run hotter. Outside of games, unless you are doing something that the AMD CPU can actually use all eight cores (which is very few things) the Intel CPU will win. The IPC (performance at equal core count and clock speed) of Intel CPUs is much, much higher.

2. The 770 is a slightly more powerful card than the 7970, but the 7970 overclocks further. The only way the 7970 is worth it is if you grab a cheap one ($350-360) and overclock it as far as it will go to match 770 performance. Otherwise, the 770 is better bang/buck.

3. ASUS ROG boards are made for extreme overclocking and competitive benchmarking with liquid nitrogen or dry ice or other forms of subzero cooling. You don't need one.

Also, I feel the need to mention, brand bias is stupid and only limits your options based on unreasonable notions.

Back