• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce GTX 280+ (GT200-b) in September? GTX 350 (GT300) in Q4 08?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Where's VJ when you need him.. I was going to order a GTX 280 today but if the GTX 280+ (or GTX+ 280? lol) is coming in a month, I'm gonna have to wait. They won't let you step up will they? Can you step up from a GTX 260 to a GTX 260 core 216?

Last word I had is the GT200b 55nm in still in October after getting pushed out from September.
Any later than that and NV probably would miss the 2008 Xmas season buying.

GT300 is toward the end of the 1st Q of 2009. NV will no doubt pull that up if they can. No
mention of process size but I suspect 55nm with a shrink to 45nm on a refresh later in 2009.
That would fit the NV's current pattern (and probably TSMC's mass 45nm FAB production
capability).

Viper

Last word I had is the GT200b 55nm in still in October after getting pushed out from September.
Any later than that and NV probably would miss the 2008 Xmas season buying.

GT300 is toward the end of the 1st Q of 2009. NV will no doubt pull that up if they can. No
mention of process size but I suspect 55nm with a shrink to 45nm on a refresh later in 2009.
That would fit the NV's current pattern (and probably TSMC's mass 45nm FAB production
capability).

Viper

Any idea if the GT200b GTX 280 will have a new model name? As in, step-upable?

edit: Just talked to EVGA, he said you can step up from a GTX 260 to a GTX 260 core 216, and he assumes the same will be true if a better GTX 280 is released in the next few months. Gonna order one now :)

Any idea if the GT200b GTX 280 will have a new model name? As in, step-upable?

edit: Just talked to EVGA, he said you can step up from a GTX 260 to a GTX 260 core 216, and he assumes the same will be true if a better GTX 280 is released in the next few months. Gonna order one now :)

My guess would be the GTX280+ for the GT200b version cards.

Viper

Are we going to be seeing a 280GTX+ and a 260GTX+ in October, or are they going to stagger the release significantly?

Are we going to be seeing a 280GTX+ and a 260GTX+ in October, or are they going to stagger the release significantly?

Have no idea but from the die FAB standpoint the 280's would come first. The 260's would come later getting
the GPU's dies where the working shader line count was not high enough for the GPU to be used on a 280.

Viper

I'm also thinking of nabbing a GTX280, but if the GT200b is about to roll out.. eVGA step-up?

Any news Viper? Its like the end of October now.

RUMOR:
Hardware.info said:
The Chinese website hardspell.com has released the rumor that the 55nm GT200b will be discontinued in order to put the focus on the successor, the GT300.

Last edited:
i plan on getting a new video card for Christmas and birthday (birthday is on the 17th of December)

I want to get a GTX 280 so bad but if the 55nm is going to be out soon ill just wait for that. Well i guess i can Always just buy the 280 then if the 280b comes out before 90 days i can do a step up but idk yet. i dont want to do that and been like number 100 + in line ya know.

who knows we'll see when the time i can buy the card comes.

Isn't the new 55nm supposed to be called 290GTX? That should be step-up worthy.

The card we are talking about is the die shrink of the 280 making it the 280b. I would think the 290GTX or what ever would be a new card all together. Not sure though.

I've seen some forums refer to the 55nm 200b based cards as the 270GTX and 290GTX. IMO this is a much better naming scheme than 260GTX++, 260bGTX, or some other odd deviation. Time will tell how nVidia decides to name their new cards...if they ever come out.

Back