• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Turbo Core to work on a A6-3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

`uname -a` output
Code:
Linux GA-A55M-DS2 3.2.0-29-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:03:23 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
i used prome95 to max a single thread, that should have triggered the turbo core, right
i was not able to get the 2.4Ghz

my sensor data is not very helpful as this is a stock cooler with a ambient temp of about 22°C, so it does not tell my if the cpu is too hot
Code:
radeon-pci-0008
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +19.0°C  

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +15.4°C  (high = +70.0°C)

i am also using the open source video driver on it

I am not 100% sure of this, but I believe the Turbo feature is managed at the hardware level by the motherboard (bios) and CPU. I know with my board, I need to enable some of the various C power states in the Bios, in order for the CPU to have access to the first Turbo (all cores +1 multi), and the 2nd Turbo (single core +2 multi). If I disable one of those power states (I think on my board it was the C3/C5/C7 one, or something like that), my CPU will no longer use/have access to the single core +2 multi. I know some Intel boards have even greater control of the multi's, being able to go higher depending on the number of cores being used.

Maybe it is this cheap motherboard being less than friendly
it is not one i would recommend
takes 30 seconds to show you the bios screen before post
had to manually set my ram speeds, using ddr3 1600 cl9
guess i have to manually set the cpu speeds (now that is sad)

This is just a budget build that backs a little extra punch for my dad, managed to get him off that 3GHz pentium 4 and a RTC monitor
i build this machine when ubuntu 12.04 was a release candidate, and after waiting a month for him to put it in i went and switched everything out while he was not around

it is set correctly in the bios
the auto settings in the bios are correct, i am not getting turbo on the os though

Last edited:
hi,

could this be the cpu auto throttle down, a self-protection mechanism?
From what apus I have read, this does happen.

The stock cooler may work for overclocks, tho Im not sure for Priming.

with the official GPU driver and the system at idle soon after booting it still does not use its turbo feature
this is the stock settings i am not overclocking it

i used prime to stress a single core/thread not all 3
the stock cooler should handle stock configuration
it says i got 2.4Ghz turbo, which i am not getting

I know it can be frustrating, working on my own a6 3500 set up now with issues.

Perhaps we may have to manually set the cpu multipliers like you said.
for this model I believe max is 24x.

on the other side of the coin, allowing the user to set the bios manually can be a plus point.

try it out, it wun hurt :)

Back