• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

...ghetto mod in the works, heh heh heh... :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now, what I really came in here for, a small update, and to make myself look like a total n00b. I'll get the "total n00b" out of the way first, and be done with it. I've had this case that Bam and I are modding since '98, I bought a bundled system from Patriot Computers Canada(now bankrupt), because I needed a system, and I didn't have the cash. I had(and still "have") no idea what the tower is.

I was curious the first time I pulled the cover off why there was this plastic "thingy" on the mobo side, seemed useless to me. Always has seemed useless to me, until Bam and I started this ghetto. When we tore the frame apart the other night, getting ready to paint the interior, I had a good look at the "thingy". Yeah, okay, a mobo tray lock. Well, golly gee whiz, just slide it back, ease the three spring-clips out, and hey, a hinged mobo tray! Cool, but I'm a dork, took me 5 1/2 years to figure that out. DOH! Heh heh heh, man, that sucks. Anyhow, here's a pic of the "thingy", and, hey, a hinged tray.

tray1.jpg

tray2.jpg

Anyhow, enough of my not paying attention to detail for 5 1/2 years. This is how it looked after we had the inside painted, and everything back together. The PSU is not getting painted, it's time for a new one. The burner will be painted, as soon as I figure out what to do with the sticker on the top of it. Bam will probably just cover it over with a "G-Unit" sticker once it's done, or something similar.

together1.jpg

The front cover is coming along, got the gaps filled between the plexi and cover, the six screw holes filled, and the new bolt holes drilled. In this order, the pics are: first coat of Bondo, and sanding done, then the final coat of Bondo. It'll be wet sanded tomorrow morning, washed, dried, and then the paint goes back on. Final pic is the bolts that will now hold the front cover on instead of the spring-clips. I lapped these puppies, about 20 minutes per bolt head, 420grit, then 600 grit, then 1500 grit, and they turned out very sweet. They'll be front and center, so I want them to look good. For kicks I started lapping the side of the hex, they polish up sweet, but damn, that's 24 sides in total. Seems like a job for Bam Bam, heh heh heh. :attn:

bondo1.jpg

bondo2.jpg

bolts.jpg

Number 3 son is bugging me about getting his mod going, so I'll have to turn him loose soon, which I really don't want to do until this one is at least 90% done. I'll update tomorrow after the paint job is done, and the new front-cover mounting bolts are in.

Thanks for listening(reading?) to the crazy middle-aged guy, who doesn't know when to go to bed on weekends. :thup:

Last edited:
neonblingbling said:
Wow... Them bolts are very sweet indeed. I think I shall do something similar when I work on my new case...

Thanks, I like the way they turned out, as a matter of fact, I was surprised, I figured they'd be a lot tougher to polish than they were. It's not a hard job, just a "brain-dead" process, very f**king boring. When I do the sides of the hexes, I'm going to drop a towel on the coffee table, a piece of plexi on top of that, and then polish while I watch TV.

I want to polish the washers that go behind the bolts too, but I figure I'll sand off my fingers tips while I'm polishing them. Bam has to go pick up some new nuts tomorrow(be nice!), I pulled a rookie mistake at Canadian Tire, only one of four nuts fits the bolts, although they all came from the same bin. I should've checked them all, but I was in a hurry, and assumed they were actually all the same size. I'll get Bam to snag some double-sided tape while he's there, then stick the washers to a small block of wood, or some such, and use that to polish the washers.

A word from the wise here: I started out by using the sanding wheel on my dremel to get the SAE code off the face of the bolt head, bad idea, unless you have a very fine sanding wheel. The 420 grit paper I used took out most of the gouges, the 600 took out the gouges from the 420, and the 1500 polished it all up. I figure I could have started with the 600 grit and saved myself a lot of "work". When I decided to give the sides of the hex a bit of a go, I went straight to 1500 grit, 30 seconds started it on the way. I figure maybe 2 minutes a side(X 24 :bang head ) and they'll look sweet. Start with a fine paper, if it works, go for it, don't start with a course grit unless you have to. All my sanding/polishing was done wet, and I rinse the paper every two minutes or so. :cool:

I think I happen to have 220 sanding disks.... I shall take a look later. I'd guess those would take out the SAE code, but not gourge it too bad...

I am seriously starting to consider polishing the whole inside of my case (like the other thread)... Just all the work involved, idk.... Probably easier than lapping though. :p

neonblingbling said:
I think I happen to have 220 sanding disks.... I shall take a look later. I'd guess those would take out the SAE code, but not gourge it too bad...

I am seriously starting to consider polishing the whole inside of my case (like the other thread)... Just all the work involved, idk.... Probably easier than lapping though. :p

Yeah, I think my wheels are 80 grit, or damn close to it, it ripped the SAE code of in maybe 5 seconds, sparks flying like 90, I should've stopped, but I was on a roll(pun intended, heh). 220 would probably work beauty. Next on my wish list is a vise, I was waiting for that wheel to slip off and sand down a finger.

Lapping a case, man man! Hahahahahahaha, yeah, there's gotta be an easier way. :attn: :D

Another update, minor as it may be, we got the paint sprayed on the front cover and side/top cover, damn it looks good :attn:

We learned something about Dupli-Colour's "Metal Cast" paint today, unless you're painting chrome, forget the instructions. Bam sanded down the side/top cover today, cause neither of us were very happy with the way the first paint job turned out, so we started over. Hey, we were painting the front cover anyhow, so why not redo the side, which we didn't like anyhow?

We formed a new plan, the side/top would be done by the book, the front would get one heavy coat of primer, one heavy coat of paint. The primer coat would tell us if we were on the right track. The first time around, we went with multiple light coats of primer, followed by multiple light coats of paint. It just wasn't working for us, it looked good, but not "GOOOD". I took on the front cover with the one coat, that way, if it was screwed up, Bam didn't have to sand it down again(hey, I'm a nice dad).

Josh sprayed four light coats of primer on the case, in about 50 minutes, as per the rattle-can's instructions, then I sprayed one heavy duty coat of primer on the front cover, evenly, I kept spinning that puppy around, until it looked soaked. Then we waited 1/2 an hour before spraying on the paint, as per the can's instructions. Josh got 2 light coats on, then I sprayed one heavy duty coat of paint on the front cover, evenly, until it looked soaked, once again. The primer had "self-leveled" the first time around, so I figured I'd risk it.

Josh was spraying on his 3rd coat 10 minutes later, when I looked over at the front cover, the paint had self-leveled too, so I told Josh to use up the rest of the can, soak that puppy. The light coats were looking like they had a rough surface to them, whereas the heavy coat had self-leveled and looked wet, even when dry. He polished off the can on the top/side cover, and we headed upstairs to wait till they dried a bit. The results blew me away! DAMN! This paint rocks, when heavy coats are applied. I wish the pics did the paint job justice, if it ever gets sunny here again, I'll post some pics of this puppy in natural light. I tried to get some natural light on it by the patio doors, but it was cloudy today, so it doesn't really do it justice.

This paint system is designed for chrome, and is supposed to give a chrome anodized look when finished. When painting anything other than chrome, the "ground coat"(primer) has to be sprayed on, call it a fake chrome base. We discovered that a heavy coat, that self levels, and dries smooth, gives the best base. I tried it out on a wrench, just for kicks, no prep on the wrench, just wiped it down with a tack cloth and then sprayed. I'm amazed, this schitt really does work! I got a couple pics of the wrench in here too, excuse the partial footprint on the middle of the wrench, Bam, the hammer-head, stepped on it while it was wet. I'll post more pics later tonight, once I get the fan bolted back in, and the front cover bolted on, should look sweet. This really has to be seen in natural light, a flash just doesn't do it justice.

Anyhow, on with the pics, enough of my rambling......

...the new paint on the front cover, no polishing yet, this will buff up nice after it sets hard...

newcov.jpg

...side and front together...

sidandfrt.jpg

...side by itself...

sidcovnew.jpg

...here's a few pics of the wrench, once again, I'm going to get some pics of this in natural light. We had a wee bit of paint left in the can, so we tossed it on the wrench for kicks, just to see if it really did what it said it did. It did. Man, it looks like a freshly dipped candy-apple. I love this freakin paint! :attn:

wrench1.jpg

...the bad side...

wrench2.jpg

...the good side...

wrench3.jpg

I hope everyone else is enjoying this ghetto mod as much as BamBam/Josh and I are. We had a look through his "Transport Encyclopedia" this aft, between coats, he's still not sure if he wants a Mack bulldog on the front, he loves Freightliners. Problem for me is finding a Freightliner emblem that will fit on the front of the case. Anyone know of where such a beastie can be found? I need a smaller emblem, maybe no more than 5 inches wide, six inches tops. I just know that the little schmuck will accept nothing less than a Freightliner emblem, just to make me work harder to find something. Kids, whatcha gonna do? Till later, adios. :thup:

Last edited:
neonblingbling said:
Heavy coats eh? Hmm... With my luck, I'd like make it all run. Then again, after watching you guys mod... LOL

This paint does not run, at least, I haven't made it run yet, and I put it on heavy. I'm very impressed by it, I've never seen any paint as nice as this out of a rattle-can before. I'm going to try out a few other types of paint they have, including the engine enamel you bake in the oven, like Stryder(I do believe) posted, I just gotta try that out. Once this system is done, and #3 son's case is started, we're going to paint the monitor to match the tower.

I have the room in the front of the monitor, so we may just see if we can't drop a cold cathode in there, and cut some slits in the bottom of the monitor's cover, which will light up the keyboard. :attn:

Man man! Once you start these things, it's really hard to stop, it snowballs. Damn this is fun stuff! :D :beer:

FYI, might not be the best thing to bake a (plastic) monitor. LOL.

What brand are these again? Duplicolor something? I saw some autopaint at Walmart I was thinking of picking up....

neonblingbling said:
FYI, might not be the best thing to bake a (plastic) monitor. LOL.

What brand are these again? Duplicolor something? I saw some autopaint at Walmart I was thinking of picking up....

Hey man, baking a monitor could make it come out real funky, give it that "post nuclear holocaust" look, heh heh heh. :attn:

The paint is Duplicolor, here: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html. I used the Metal Cast system, but I think I'm going to try out a few of their other systems, these paints rock. :D

voodoomelon said:
Ha ha, this post is a laugh!

I haven't had this much fun reading a post in ages.

Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming.
;)

That's what life is all about, enjoying yourself, with others, and having a laugh or ten. :thup: :beer:

I have to shut down now, rip the tower apart, bolt the front cover on, weld the nuts in place with JB Weld, splice the wires to one CC so it reaches the bottom of the case, and bolt the 120mm Panaflo back into the front cover where it belongs. I'll have more pics in an hour or two. Later my friends. :cool:

Okay, bad day at the races. The bolts I polished? Well, 1/2 an inch too short. I have 4 nice shiney bolts for sale now, heh. Here's a question: Does the length of the wire on a cold cathode make a difference? I lengthened the wires on the one tube, and now only half of it lights up. I used 18ga speaker wire, should I have used smaller wire?

Yes, before anyone asks, the wires are still conected the same way, I spliced one wire at a time, so I couldn't screw that up. It was working fine until I lengthened the wires. Anyone else ever have the same problem?

Haha, just epoxy the bolt heads on, cutting the bolt part off.

Hmm... Intresting problem you got yourself there... I never messed around with the bigger wires in my comp, so cant help you there.

Back