• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gmail Privacy Violations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

http://www.epic.org/privacy/gmail/faq.html#1

I'm not sure if this is true, but if it is, I'd be ****ed.

linked article said:
Gmail violates the privacy rights of non-subscribers. Non-subscribers who e-mail a Gmail user have "content extraction" performed on their e-mail even though they have not consented to have their communications monitored, nor may they even be aware that their communications are being analyzed. Subscribers to Gmail also face risks to their privacy; those risks are outlined below.

Non-Subscribers Do Not Consent to "Content Extraction."
Profiling Across Google Product Line.
Bad Legal Precedent.
Insufficient Privacy Policy.

Google Non-Expiring Tracking Cookies: http://www.everythingisnt.com/archives/00002067.htm

Thought this was interesting also since I didn't know it until a few months ago, and I see it also as pretty wrong.

I only use Gmail to keep up with friends. So, if they want to read about vacations and work that is fine with me...lol.

I have yet to get any spam in ym gmail account.

Frankly, I rather see relevant ad's then random ad's...at least they can be usefull.

tom10167 said:
Haha...

People get so hyper-crazy about tracking cookies, adware and spyware, and now Google's doing it it's perfectly acceptable.

Ironic huh? I personally do not use gmail, but if I did I would be concerned about it.

I knew about this ages ago thought everyone else did oh well good job i dont use them i recommend spymac.com tho i currently use hotmail but there ****e!

tom10167 said:
Haha...

People get so hyper-crazy about tracking cookies, adware and spyware, and now Google's doing it it's perfectly acceptable.

At least google isn't using it for destructive uses...

Because google isn't selling the information to anyone, they're merely using it internally.

Now, if they gave it to all the different companies, I'd be very concerned, but since google has it's own ad system, it doesn't bother me that much.

Elif Tymes said:
Because google isn't selling the information to anyone, they're merely using it internally.

Now, if they gave it to all the different companies, I'd be very concerned, but since google has it's own ad system, it doesn't bother me that much.

I have no problem with this. but how many times has data been collected, then something changes and there is a whole new set of rules. New rules and all that data...

Google, given their current finances are probably immune to a big change like this. And they do try to be a semi decent company.

One of the big things that seems to be overlooked is what are companies doing to protect this data. Lots of credit card companys say that all data is private and confidential then they store it in a low security DB application on some 2nd rate server. If a company is going to ask us to trust them with our data they should at least treat it as valuable.

Personally, I find it amazing that anyone would even worry about this. I have never read the goggle privacy policy myself and yet I use gmail myself. I just don’t use it to send stuff that I would be all that concerned about.

Um google happens to be a search engine and given the public business model that we already know about, I just assumed that they intended to search my email for some purpose that would help them. Asking it not to would be like asking a kitten to not purr. It just is not going to happen.

Then too, what is this privacy thing that people think they have? Every company collects information on you all the time and not just electronically. For example, I get catalogs in my snail mail for stores in the mall that I have merely used a credit card at. I never gave them my address but they somehow got the data out of my files without my consent.

Yes, google uses cookies and yes, cookies are a very abuseable technology. Most browsers have an option to warn you before accepting a cookie. Turn it on for a few days and see what it going on (it works like a popup). If you do something as simple as read the NYTimes online, you will get a cookie every time you open a new story. The cookie from there will be sent back to anyone in the NYTimes domain.

Also, has everyone heard of Echelon? It is a huge system of signals intelligence operated by most of the English speaking nations of the world. Echelon probably intercepts a few billon communications every day and sifts them through a bank of supercomputers that look for keywords. While it is probably illegal for your own government to spy on you, there is no law to prevent Canada from spying on the US or the US from spying on Canada. Sine both nations are part of the network, they can trade the data backwards and forwards all day long. People who have worked on Echelon have stated publicly that they can monitor phone calls and get warnings when someone says a keyword before the call is even completed. One case that I have heard was featured on 60 minutes and concerned a woman whose kid “bombed” his performance in a school play. Echelon supposedly had humans listening to the call before it was even over.

I personally don't really care that much. I watch my credit report, SS DL and other documents. A friend of mine has recently been the victim of identity theft. She's had multiple credit cards taken out in her name. Has gotten a speeding ticket in a state that she has never been to and has recently gotten a notice that her mortgage is past due ( she rents).

She's a pretty careful person but she does shop quite a bit online. With companies keeping these huge databases on people its basically a one-stop for crooks. I'm not that concerned with what business do with data. Its what thieves that steal this data will do. Granted that all of this data has been available years before computers, but computers have made it much easier to collect a profile on someone.

You get what you pay for, dont like it dont complaim.

Too many people complain and nit pick over something they are getting for FREE.

Now if you were paying for it and it did this i would find someone else for sure.

Been with g-mail for a year+ now a few months after they launched the beta. Got to say I've had zero issues with it. If im lucky I get a few spam mails here and there and talking if 1 a month that is.

I just use it for forums and to say hi to a friend or two. Otherwise I use my other e-mail accounts for personal info.

I don't mind... Its free, fast, and handles my volumes of e-mail very well considering I get 100-200 messages a day + from the boards :)

Back