• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good deal on DC PS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Josh

Well i just impulsively bought a 80 AMP Arclamp PS. I paid a total of 79.00 with shipping and handling. input is either 115 or 230 vac. there is a variable output of 18 to 160VDC at 80Amps. also included are outputs of 24 VDC 5Amp, 6.3VDC .6Amp, 5VDC 10Amp, 15VDC 7.5Amp.

I want to get into the pelt cooling and thought this would be a nice way to run the high performance 24 volt pelts. any thoughts? did i get a good deal or did i blow a nice chunk of change?

Josh

If it delivers 18-160V continuously at 80A, (13kW), I'd say you got the deal of the century. I can'y help but have my doubts about it though. Call me skeptical. mistrusting, or whatever. There is always the chance that the person selling it is a fool. I hope, for your sake, the specification was not 80VA instead of 80A, or else the fool is on the other end of that deal. Let us know when it arrives.

Hoot

thanks for the input Hoot. i'm not really that sophisticated with power supplies, but i'm hoping that this will turn out to be a good deal. it was an ebay auction with 2 hours left and ibought it on impulse. i left a link to the ps in your email if you want to take a look at it. there are a bunch of pics too. well i either scored big or blew it, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Josh

Just a follow-up.

Josh emailed me the link to the ebay auction and I
must say, he got the "real deal"! What a steal!

Hoot

Hoot (Jul 23, 2001 11:30 a.m.):
Just a follow-up.

Josh emailed me the link to the ebay auction and I
must say, he got the "real deal"! What a steal!

Hoot

thanks for checking it out for me Hoot. the guy i bought it from received my payment and is shipping it out to me within a day or two. i'm wondering how i should test this PS out to make it sure everything is in order.

Josh

It's tough to test a butt kicking PS without a butt kicking dummy load. From the pictures, I'd venture that wiring should be implicit. Please be careful as 160VDC will kill you. I've taken hits off of switching power supplies and believe me it's not the same as houshold AC current. It really ruins your day.

Hoot

Yeah, I read somewhere that DC circuits need more insulation than AC circuits and especially the switches as DC arcs easily in AC switches. BTW, it's the amps that'll kill you -just 1A will make you day...the last. Real good deal you got, I must add.

Yeah, I read somewhere that DC circuits need more insulation than AC circuits and especially the switches as DC arcs easily in AC switches. BTW, it's the amps that'll kill you -just 1A will make your day...the last. Real good deal you got, I must add.

Back