• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Chrome Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
Not sure if this is the right place for this, so mods feel free to move it if it isn't.

I've been using the Google Chrome browser since it came out, and on my old computer I had no troubles with it, but ever since I built my new computer, I have a couple of issues:

1) AVG reports it for using a lot of memory, usually somewhere between 250MB to 350MB, which, last time I checked, is nowhere near the 8GB I have installed.

2) Google Chrome itself sometimes freezes my entire computer for a second or so with or without the AVG warning popup. My mouse will not move or anything, but it only lasts for a little while, and immediately when it unfreezes there is a short "beep" noise that comes from my speakers and then my computer continues working normally.

It doesn't happen every day, it just happens randomly and only when I'm using Google Chrome. Anyone else use Google Chrome with this issue and is there any way to solve it?

I don't have Chrome, but 2) sounds like instability. Have you tried dropping the system to stock settings to see if the problem goes away?

I don't have Chrome, but 2) sounds like instability. Have you tried dropping the system to stock settings to see if the problem goes away?

This was happening before I ever overclocked, so I would assume that wouldn't affect it.

That is certainly odd, then. The browser shouldn't cause the entire system to lockup like that. I don't have any advice for you.

I'd drop AVG and instead install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Alternately, you could uninstall Chrome and switch to Chromium. Same browser but w/o all of Google's crap inserted. It's what I use.

Back