• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got 8 Cores, and uses 'em all...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
These machines make great CS3 workstations if you're interested in graphic design and/or photography. They're also great database servers and make a terrific platform for web-based database-driven application development. The real beauty of these uses is that they will make the machine pay for itself rather quickly ;) .

Of course, you could do all of this on a lesser machine, but I've found that I'm much more productive on a machine which I'm enthusiastic about and is a joy to use.

What OS are you using for your CS3 workstation? My wife uses CS3, and I want to upgrade to over 3GB of ram, but I have read that CS3 won't play nice with 64-bit Windows OS's.

CS2 also runs fine on Vista x64 & 8GB of RAM.

I'm going to build one of these monsters once I get my clinical medical career started later next year. I hope the dual socket Nehalem platform doesn't disappoint.

2snehalemCORES.jpg

Save your money for Nehalem, 16 threads @ 3.0+GHz :)

16 GB of tri-channel DDR3 memory + IMC CPU's + 16MB of shared L3 cache + Quickpath linking both CPU's (this is going to be huge, the CPU's will be able to transfer data between themselves and the ram almost simultaneously.)

This kind of Nehalem setup is going to score 8-16x what a Q6600 scores now imo. (pure speculation by me, but speculation is fun)

Really nice setup hafa, the price : performance on that thing is sick.

Last edited:
His concerns for folding were that he has to update several SQL databases, which apparently pull a lot of the CPU process.

To the OP, Folding uses only 'free' processing, it is set a a low priority task and all others take precedence, the ONLY time I have ever noticed a lag would be when playing games on the computer.

If this doesn't seem good enough you can set it to only fold when 'idle' at certain times, or only to use certain number of cores, and a certain maximum % of the CPU.

Look into it, it's easy to configure, and you'll be furthering scientific progress.

in the past F@H has slowed down MySQL DB's to a crawl (i reported it as a bug with no response back) i do have some SMP and single clients on some MySQL DB's at work now, and they do, slightly, affect overall speed and responsiveness, but depending how mission critical it is, it may not be somerhing that is noticeble (im talking like seconds)

Back