Hate Windows 11? Try this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader

There is everything that the Pro version had (or at least I can't see the difference). The only problem is that some things are harder to find and to make some things, you need the old control panel. Moving between old and new settings is annoying as you can find 2-3 the same options in different places.
It's not bad when you adjust everything, set shortcuts, etc. I also recommend updating the Win11 as there were multiple improvements since the release. Some things I was complaining about were fixed.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

the lack of features usually available for a "Pro" edition are missing and I feel like i'm using a "Home" edition.

What, exactly, are you missing that was in previous Pro versions @P A U L ?

Last edited:

P A U L

Registered
I'm not sure if this is specific to Pro version. In fact, it probably isn't Pro specific at all. But, there are a few things that I was able to do with Windows 7 that I can't do anymore.

Like point File Explorer to load C:\Users\MyName instead of now directly to explorer.exe with Quick Access or This PC only.

Right clicknig the taskbar to view all windows to side-by-side, or stacked, or whatever.

Also could have sworn that I was able to disable folder path history. Curently, I am only able to clear it, but not disable it entirely.

Hiding the default user folders (Videos, Pictures, Documents, Downloads) I used to hide them through rightclick/properties. Now if I do it, they're still visible under This PC. So I found a way to get rid of them through regedit so they don't show up in the left pane of File Explore. However, now I can't see them at all in the user folder even when I disable hide folder.

This wasn't a problem in Windows 7 at all...but not being able to get rid of the Recommend area in the Start Menu is ridiculous. It's just a blank empty space that I don't use.

And a few other gripes...can't remember at the moment.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

But, there are a few things that I was able to do with Windows 7 that I can't do anymore.
Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up.

Pretty sure there are some workaround, but that makes more sense, if you drop the "pro". :)

P A U L

Registered
Wellp. I found all the regedit and gpedit hacks i could so far. I'm hoping since the OS is very very new, that Microsoft would provide some revisions down the line. Though, I kinda doubt it and I'm just mentally prepared to get over it.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior

I changed mine to align to the left as well but it is my only one. Sounds like something might be messed up if you have two.
Yeah, it still doesn't change the fact that there are 2 start buttons. When I align to the left, the 2 overlap eachother.

freakdiablo

Well been running W11 for the past couple weeks. Minor UI annoyances mostly but things I just have to get used to.

Biggest issue seems with Wi-Fi/internet, on boot it connects to the network but not the internet until I disconnect/reconnect several times. Using the onboard card which is based on the AX200 chipset, same as my last build (W10) which was fine. Might be an issue with my VPN though, more than once I realized the program was running but not the separate service - a first for me, it works under 8.1 and 10.