• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hate Windows 11? Try this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is everything that the Pro version had (or at least I can't see the difference). The only problem is that some things are harder to find and to make some things, you need the old control panel. Moving between old and new settings is annoying as you can find 2-3 the same options in different places.
It's not bad when you adjust everything, set shortcuts, etc. I also recommend updating the Win11 as there were multiple improvements since the release. Some things I was complaining about were fixed.

the lack of features usually available for a "Pro" edition are missing and I feel like i'm using a "Home" edition.

What, exactly, are you missing that was in previous Pro versions @P A U L ?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is specific to Pro version. In fact, it probably isn't Pro specific at all. But, there are a few things that I was able to do with Windows 7 that I can't do anymore.

Like point File Explorer to load C:\Users\MyName instead of now directly to explorer.exe with Quick Access or This PC only.

Right clicknig the taskbar to view all windows to side-by-side, or stacked, or whatever.

Also could have sworn that I was able to disable folder path history. Curently, I am only able to clear it, but not disable it entirely.

Hiding the default user folders (Videos, Pictures, Documents, Downloads) I used to hide them through rightclick/properties. Now if I do it, they're still visible under This PC. So I found a way to get rid of them through regedit so they don't show up in the left pane of File Explore. However, now I can't see them at all in the user folder even when I disable hide folder.

This wasn't a problem in Windows 7 at all...but not being able to get rid of the Recommend area in the Start Menu is ridiculous. It's just a blank empty space that I don't use.

And a few other gripes...can't remember at the moment.

But, there are a few things that I was able to do with Windows 7 that I can't do anymore.
Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up.

Pretty sure there are some workaround, but that makes more sense, if you drop the "pro". :)

Wellp. I found all the regedit and gpedit hacks i could so far. I'm hoping since the OS is very very new, that Microsoft would provide some revisions down the line. Though, I kinda doubt it and I'm just mentally prepared to get over it.

I changed mine to align to the left as well but it is my only one. Sounds like something might be messed up if you have two.
Yeah, it still doesn't change the fact that there are 2 start buttons. When I align to the left, the 2 overlap eachother.

Well been running W11 for the past couple weeks. Minor UI annoyances mostly but things I just have to get used to.

Biggest issue seems with Wi-Fi/internet, on boot it connects to the network but not the internet until I disconnect/reconnect several times. Using the onboard card which is based on the AX200 chipset, same as my last build (W10) which was fine. Might be an issue with my VPN though, more than once I realized the program was running but not the separate service - a first for me, it works under 8.1 and 10.

I have Win11 only on my test rigs and I see that sometimes are problems with PCMark/3DMark or FarCry6. All of them sometimes freeze on the start screen.

Sorry for bumping this thread but I was looking around if someone had the issue I am facing and I think we are experiencing the same

I get random freezes when starting gw2 (recently started playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and It didn't crash on me . . . yet)
Well not so random, soon after a start/restart of the pc everything goes fine, If I let the pc go into idle for too long it "might" cause the game to freeze on start, also If I disconnect my windows user and log back in it "might" cause the same issue.

At first I thought it was my overclock, but then I realized windows was still running and I can get taskmanager to open after 10/20 seconds

Did they fix your issue?

I have no problems anymore ... after multiple large updates. At least when I was testing some stuff last weekend on a fresh OS with all updates, then all was working fine. Fresh Win11 from early ISO is updating right now like an 2-year-old OS :p ... and in plans for next months are many additional fixes and "improvements". Hard to say what won't work next ...

Recently I had mainly problems with Server 2012. The last updates marked as important were causing the Hyper-V environment to shut down. Simply remote desktop services and everything else was turned off and couldn't be enabled. Multiple clients reported that their servers "don't work at all". I have no idea how MS is checking all these updates as for servers, there are big problems every 4-6 months. Big like no access to servers or various services don't work.

FTR, we run W11 and don't see freezing in those apps. FC6 runs flawlessly (better than FC5 did on 10, honestly) and so does the 3DMark tests (stopped running PCMark). So the updates between then and now resolved that issue or was it a fresh install and perhaps something was borked?

Oh! I also liked how I can previously disable UAC and never have to "run as administrator" each and every time. Windows 11 won't let me.

Back