• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Havoline 4T as thermal paste on GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beret21

Registered
Many people have experimented Toothpaste, oreo cream, mineral oil, ketchup and face creams as thermal paste now its time for engine oil.
Saved a few drops from my bike's engine oil and poured it onto my r7 370.
Idle temps are exactly the same. Max temp had a difference of one degree.
Used unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

CPU: i7 2600
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz
GPU: r7 370 2GB
HDD: 500 GB ( sata II )
PSU: Antec EA-500D (500W)

Ambient : Around 30c
idle temp engine oil: 34c
idle temp with cheap TIM: 34c
Max with oil : 73c
Max with Cheap TIM : 72c

* The initial temps in case of engine oil were already at 72c because i started ungine benchmark tool but didnt start recording so after 2-3 min i started the actual benchmark and recording, which in my case are from same button F9.

I am not that much satisfied by the results of cheap thermal paste or the engine oil. But considering the results were so close to each other and temperatures were pretty safe too, i think that either the cheap TIM is awful or engine oil is performing good.
*Engine oil can be used as thermal paste its safe and the results are satisfactory too.

I wonder how long it lasts...

I wouldnt touch it though...

I think it has no reason to degrade considering the engine is way too hot then a GPU die. But m not so sure. So far its good after 24hrs. Currently have no plans on removing the GPU again so lets see how long it will actually last before degrading the performance. Who knows it might become ultra cool liquid pro with time :D :D

I just dont know how something not very viscous stays where its supposed to...
If not too much is used then the surface tension of the liquid probably isnt broken. The same way a small drop of condensation will stay at the top of a cup but as more water condenses and it gets heavier it will roll down to the table. Maybe that is a poor example but I cant think of a better one off the top of my head. Im pretty sure surfsce tension keeps it from dripping though. A few drops more and it eould be dripping all over the place

I just dont know how something not very viscous stays where its supposed to...

I dont think its that un viscous to just run away like that. But once i open it many things will clear up once n for all. Also i paid a lil attention while putting the hsf on and like knoober said surface tension will keep it in place i think unless shaken.

Only trouble is you have to change it every 5000 miles.
LOL :D I am a little lazy at that. Thats why i had to open my bike engine and change so many bad seals last weak. And some of the seals got so bad that they kinda fused with the aluminum body ( was a very hectic job )
As far as changing my GPU oil is concerned may be i will change it once i got my hands on some as5 or never ( o.o )/

If not too much is used then the surface tension of the liquid probably isnt broken. The same way a small drop of condensation will stay at the top of a cup but as more water condenses and it gets heavier it will roll down to the table. Maybe that is a poor example but I cant think of a better one off the top of my head. Im pretty sure surfsce tension keeps it from dripping though. A few drops more and it eould be dripping all over the place
Sure, if its sitting flat... otherwise, gravity. It would only stay in place if it was flat, otherwise, it would slowly flow down, I would imagine.

Regardless, oil is a tough sell as TIM anyway.

Synthetic is slipperier and will make your GPU go faster.

Last edited:
I wouldn't try that awful liquidy, high mounting pressure designs would push most of it out anyways, there might be a slight film that would stay but this really isn't the temps for motor oil man lol

where still not at any of these kinda temps Lol, let alone the loss through the Lid, this stuff where yeah still okay what's being used some particles and abrasives some ground up sticky solution creating a optimal binding and heat transferring to the sink.

Back