• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Cannot join my own Serious Sam SE server through my lan.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
Dedicated server. Running seriousrunner (also tried just starting dedicated server for serious sam se, same results)

Hardware:
Server: P4 3.2Ghz
PC: P4 3.01Ghz

LAN
Router: D-Link 704P configured to leave ports 25600-25603 open for the IP address of the server and each pc. Router rebooted after the config was applied.
Switch: Linksys 10/100

Software:
Serious Sam SE, patched to 1.07
No software firewalls are running
PC is win98SE
Server is Win2000

I start the server machine, then start up serious runner.
Start the game PC, then start Sam SE, then network and find my server, then join.

Error received is (flashes really fast) error 10061 WSAEconnection error connection refused. The server gives no errors, just shows that the gameserver is running. If I join again, it says waiting for server and never changes.

What am I missing? I need to get this running for a bunch of kids that will be here in a few hours. Help is greatly appreciated.

Serious Sam only needs port 25600 TCP and UDP. Make sure you map both of them. And what do you mean by "open for the IP address of the server and each pc"? You should only map the port to the server computer.

Humm,

Don't know anything about UDP

After I set up the open ports for the server and it still did not work I opened the ports for each pc to see if it would help, but did not make any difference.

How do I set up the UDP?

UDP is just another protocol. It comes with TCP/IP. In your router's config, where you would forward the port, it should give you an option to choose TCP or UDP.

Create one rule to forward TCP port 25600 to the server, and a second rule to forward UDP port 25600 to the server.

If you get that going, it should fix your problem. One of the connections (presumably UDP) isn't getting through.

Is this an internal-only game? or are you playing with people on the net? If it's internal only, just connect to the internal IP. Even with external, you should be able to just connect to the internal IP of the server, without doing any port fowarding.

Yes this is an internal only game.

I'll have to look into port forwarding, all I did was open the ports.

So I need to:
1. go into the router and forward tcp port 25600 to the server
2. go into the router and forward udp port 25600 to the server

I have tried connecting to the internal IP of the server but I get an error message and the game pc never connects.

Will attempt #1 and #2 and report back. Thank you.

eaglescouter said:
Yes this is an internal only game.

I'll have to look into port forwarding, all I did was open the ports.

So I need to:
1. go into the router and forward tcp port 25600 to the server
2. go into the router and forward udp port 25600 to the server

I have tried connecting to the internal IP of the server but I get an error message and the game pc never connects.

Will attempt #1 and #2 and report back. Thank you.

hmm thtas odd, try putting your server on the DMZ and see what it says then....

then try connecting via the internal ip (it shouldnt matter which one you choose, it will resolve it to the internal ip i believe)

if that doesnt work, try connecting the 2 pc's together with a crossover cable and see if that works

If you cannot connect to it internally, then it won't work exteranlly either.

If it's internal only, then there is no need for port mapping.. that will only let anyone on the internet play.

What is the error message you get when you try to connect internally?

Got it working. You were correct that an internal game does not require all this forwarding. Also I had updated the pc to patch 1.5, and the server to 1.7 (what an idoit)

Thanks for all your help, the kids had a great time.

Last edited:
Back