• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me decide 2011 or 1155

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimingle10

EDIT:::UPDATE:::

I ended up not going with either of the following and heeded the advice given here. It is a complete build as follows

Haswell Core i7-4770k - $300
Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II - $200
Asus Z87 Sabertooth - $Traded for my nexus 7 tablet
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - $100
Thermaltake Chaser A71 - $90
Corsair H50 cooler - $40
Antec HCG-750 750W $60

Total build cost me $790 + trading my tablet...I had just sold my Q9400 system for $550, so this was really only $240 out of pocket for a pretty solid gaming rig. I'm very happy with the new build can't wait to put it together! A lot of the parts were bought 2nd hand to keep costs low, I think I got a deal and a half on everything

*/Edit

Im looking at two rigs, both are about the same price ~ $700 without hdd's (I have my own). Can't decide if one is better than the other, I know the 2011 socket has a better upgrade path, but chances are I won't be looking at any upgrades for a long time (more likely to get a new rig in a few years). Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

Rig 1 :

Core i7 Quad-core 3820 Processor
12 GB Patriot DDR3 Memory (4 GB x3)
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 FleX Edition Graphics Card
AcoustiPack Sound Proofing
Antec HX750 750w Power Supply
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler with x2 Cougar Slient 120mm fans
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case
EVGA X79 FTW E-ATX Motherboard
Lite-On Blu-ray/DVD/CD Reader Combo Drive

Rig 2 :

Asus P8Z77-V LX Z77 CROSSFIRE SATA 3.0 USB 3.0 LGA 1155 Motherboard
Intel I7 (3770K) Overclockable 3.5Ghz 8m LGA1155 Processor.
8 GB DDR3 / 1600 Mhz Ram.
Astek 510LC 120MM Watercooler for processor.
2 120MM case fans.
Black Haf 912 mid tower Case.
Black LG 24X DVDRW Optical Drive.
Xtremegear 800 Watt 80 Plus Power Supply.
Onboard 7.1 Sound
Superclock EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 2GB PCIE 3.0 (Overclockable)

Last edited:
A 4 core old gen with a 2011 is a bad choice.

Go 3770k, or even better 4770k with a z87 chipset.

Keep in mind that -v lx boards do not support sli. Only crossfire.

as a complete package, you think the 2nd rig is better? Also wasn't sure which graphics card was better. The radeon has 3gb memory compared to the 660's 2gb.

I liked the EVGA board better...tons of pci-e slots!

Both have their drawbacks.

The problem with the second one is the MoBo. As manu2b said, it only supports crossfire (AMD) for multiple GPUS and it has an Nvidia GPU. So the cheap and easy upgrade of getting a second 660 is out of the question.

Yep second rig is better, and 7950 is better as well.

What do you want to do with pcie slots?!?

And you could add a second amd gpu down the road. I'd go 7970/280x though.

run 5-way sli obviously.... lol (kidding)

I'm a mild gamer, i think either of these computers is overkill for me. I sold off my core2 quad earlier this month for $500, so in reality its only a $200 upgrade to get into either of these. I like the board and gfx card of #1 but I don't really know squat about the cpu. Is it that big of difference? I thought the 2011 socket was better but you all pointing me towards the #2 rig

I hate to disagree with my friends, but if you where to change some parts on Rig 1 it would be outstanding. But that's my 10c and the reason behind this is i have spent the last month or so looking into the 2011 Platform for using on the HWbot!!

AJ.

I hate to disagree with my friends, but if you where to change some parts on Rig 1 it would be outstanding. But that's my 10c and the reason behind this is i have spent the last month or so looking into the 2011 Platform for using on the HWbot!!

AJ.

specifically what parts?

Btw...thanks for all these quick replies. I want to pull the trigger today so I don't miss out on either of em. I think either one is capable of running circles around the Q9400 w/ 2x 8800 gts that it would be replacing

The 1155 mobo is a dead end socket. Whereas the 2011 mobo still has quite a few upgrade paths left (haswell-e and possibly others). I would personally go with rig 1 because of the upgrade path. Sure the CPU is only 4 cores but you are not benching your system. So go with whichever rig you want to go with. Also the haf912 is only a mid tower case whereas the 932 is a full tower case and can support a decent water cooling loop if you go that route later on.

Problems with comp one as I see it.

Core i7 Quad-core 3820 Processor I would not run a quad core on this system
12 GB Patriot DDR3 Memory (4 GB x3) This is a quad channel board, you should have 4 sticks of RAM.
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 FleX Edition Graphics Card
AcoustiPack Sound Proofing
Antec HX750 750w Power Supply
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler with x2 Cougar Slient 120mm fans
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case
EVGA X79 FTW E-ATX Motherboard I do believe this board had some issues. They may have been resolved but is bears some research
Lite-On Blu-ray/DVD/CD Reader Combo Drive

It's not about dead socket, it's about performance/erficiency.

3820 is Sandy Bridge, 15% slower than Haswell at a given frequency.

A 3770k or, better a 4770k, will last at least 3 years.

What is the point of upgrading from a 4 cores to a 6 cores if you don't need it.

Most users will make a better use of an Haswell than of a IvyBridge-E six cores with lower IPC and overpriced mother board...

both of these chips are only 4 cores w/ HT right? im def leaning on rig #1

As far as that EVGA board, I have read the awful reviews on newegg, seems most of it was cleared up with bios update. Still some quirky usb 3.0 issues but I can live with that. I have (2) 2gb ddr3 1600 sticks i can replace that lonely 4gb module with, or just scoop another 4gb stick. the memory isnt really a concern.

The 1155 mobo is a dead end socket. Whereas the 2011 mobo still has quite a few upgrade paths left (haswell-e and possibly others). I would personally go with rig 1 because of the upgrade path. Sure the CPU is only 4 cores but you are not benching your system. So go with whichever rig you want to go with. Also the haf912 is only a mid tower case whereas the 932 is a full tower case and can support a decent water cooling loop if you go that route later on.

They are both dead sockets.

Haswell - e will not be compatible with x79 boards. It will be 2011 pins but in a different layout.

This would be my choice in 2011!!

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131800

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116940

First the Mobo has everything you need and is as good as the Deluxe board, it will do 3 way SLI and Quad Crossfire!! And the first 2 PCI-E Slots are 16x by 16x.

Next the CPU will run at 3.9mhz easy and being the IHS is soldered and no bad Tim, will run really cool like your Sandybridge CPU's did.

As for Overclocking it should do 4.8mhz fairly easy with less heat issues than any Ivy or Haswell CPU's.

The only thing you need to check out is the Bios up date for the motherboard, you can get the shop to do this or check the serial number with your Vendor before you buy it.

AJ.

The 3820 is a Sandybridge processor.

The 3770K is an Ivybridge processor.

Clock for clock the 3770K is faster

The 'K' means it is an unlocked processor. While it is possible to overclock the 3820, it is much easier on the 3770K.

Thanks for that, was curious what the K was..hadn't looked it up yet.

Sucks the gfx cards are *** backwards between the two. I feel like the 3820 is still going to feel ferrari-ish compared to the q9400 I've been using since 2008. It has the better board, more ram, and superior video card. It should still overclock to 4ghz or better?

$300 mobo...

The OP could get a 4770k setup and a 290 with the money saved on the mobo.

Really AJ, you can't advise anyone to go with a 2011 4 cores setup unless he wants to make boints.

And a [email protected] would not perform any better than a [email protected], due to lower IPC.

Back