• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me quiet my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnnysd

Registered
My PC is LOUD. It is around 62-64db steady state. Here is the system:

Lian-Li PC-72
Stock front fan
PCP@G Turbo-Cool 510ATX
A8N32SLI-Deluxe
2 gigs
x1900XT with stock fan
4 hard drives
2 DVDRW

I am going to run this at stock speeds. I know, I know....totally heretical. But NO ONE knows more about cooling a PC and making it quiet than the people here, so I thought I would go to the experts.

I suspect my cooling sucks in general, which is causing the PS fan and video card fans to run super fast and increase noise. So I suspect I have to overhaul my cooling to lower the noise.

There is no sound dampening or anything like that presently in the PC.

I am not going to buy a new power supply, and I want to do this for around $100.

Would love to hear how I would approach and fix this issue. I would like to get it down around 40db if possible.

Thanks.

:welcome: to the forums!

62-24 db? Is that an exaggeration? :eek:

Where is this noise coming from?

I can understand if you have Delta fan (really loud/fast fans).

Don't see your CPU w/heatsink listed.
Also, whats the brand of the x1900xt? Some are quieter then others.
In addition, good things to know are are the ambient temps, and then the CPU/GPU temps?

In general, air cooling is quieter with larger fans - bigger fans push more air at the same or lower speed, making them more efficient in the quiet department. In addition to this, good airflow is needed, so cool air pulled in from the front can flow smoothly to the CPU and CPU, so that your CPU/GPU fans don't need to go as crazy - clear obstructions inside the case. And of course, having a good heatsink is also important.

silentpcreview is where the crazy silencing people are =p

Omsion said:
Don't see your CPU w/heatsink listed.
Also, whats the brand of the x1900xt? Some are quieter then others.
In addition, good things to know are are the ambient temps, and then the CPU/GPU temps?

In general, air cooling is quieter with larger fans - bigger fans push more air at the same or lower speed, making them more efficient in the quiet department. In addition to this, good airflow is needed, so cool air pulled in from the front can flow smoothly to the CPU and CPU, so that your CPU/GPU fans don't need to go as crazy - clear obstructions inside the case. And of course, having a good heatsink is also important.

My CPU is an AMD X2 4400+ stock fan

Ambient is around 70 degrees or less ( I like air conditioning)

My friend has a Tuniq Tower, Zalman hsf on his GPU, and four yateloons but his rig is still pretty loud because of all of his hard drives. You said you have four hard drives... what are they? If your hard drives are loud, you might want to look into something to reduce vibrations to your case (if they even make something like that).

:welcome:

Dump a coke on the motherboard. Quiets it down immediately... OK, just kidding.

You know Johnnysd, if you pressed them, a lot of folks run their CPU's and VC stock, most of the time. Not ME of course... :rolleyes:

I have an extremely loud second rig (2.4 P4) as well. For me, it's the old power supply that's making all the noise, if you don't want to replace it, (which you probably could in your stated budget) Here's what I suggest. Some or all of this might not work for your system.

1. Clean the dust out of your case. Check the cpu cooler, if it's clogged with dust, your computer fans will have to work harder, and louder. While you've got the case cracked, get your ear down there and listen if you have an especially loud fan. If so, replace it. Larger fan=quieter fan. Everyone says Yateloon is the best. I wouldn't know.

2. Get a new case. Something with better airflow, like an Antec 900. This will also inspire you to put something better inside it :)

3. Seriously re-consider getting a new PSU. Most of the time it's the cheap one's that whine like banshees. You could try to quiet the one you have by mounting it on some rubber gaskets to quiet it a bit, but if I was a betting man, I'd say it's the PSU that's making all the noise. There's lots of forum information on good PSU's.

Keep in mind the 1900 series are notoriously loud VC's. Not much you can do about it.

Last edited:
If your PSU fan is making a ton of noise, you can always open it and swap the fan for a quiet one. Lots of instructions on how to do that on the net.
Global Win 120mm worked well for me.

I did it with my new OCZ StealthXstream as the fan was the single loudest thing on my PC, you could hear it 8 feet away. Now the PCs almost silent and it sits right at my knees in the open.

I also disconnected a whiney 120GB drive (got a new 320) which I connect every now and then for backups. Drives seem a little hit and miss when it comes to noise. Unless you're running a raid or need tons of space, I'd toss some drives. That would help a lot with cooling also. Just because an old 80GB drive works, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it with your newer 320s etc. if that's the case you in. Just creates heat and noise.

I had thought I wouldn't get a quiet PC as the Asus 8800GTS was going to be noisy, but I was pleasantly suprised it's quiet.

T.

Get a Acellero S1/S2 (if they compatible) or a Hr-o3 and ultra-120-ex and run it passivley as your on stock it should be fine. also get some yate loons give your case some flow.

Omsion said:

HAHA aint that the truth.... i stumbeled into SPCR a while back... and not to long ago in the midtst of summer they turned me into a crazy silent psycho... so much so that i set out to build a fully passive no fan's pc!!!!

as for silencing a pc.... slow down fans with a controler, or 5 or 7volt trick... suspend / detach hd's from the case...

or get slower fans / bigger fans... My case has all yate loons @ 6v almost all the time, with 2 quiet seagate hds that are suspended with Stretch Magic, and its a SUPER quiet pc.

Back