• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP Needed!! FX-8150 strange heating problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Varaquilex

Hello dear all Overclockers Forum members!

I am experiencing some bizarre cpu behaviours and some overheating problems for the time being and i am seeking your wisdom for solving my issues.

So, here is the story. I built a new pc a few months back and it is my only up-to-date pc in my liftime (21 years). So, naturally, i do not know pretty much anything about overclocking and stuff. Well, here is my build:

Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
AMD FX-8150 (Stock Air Fan, Stock Thermal Paste)
8GB Corsair 1600Mhz Vengeance Dual kit 4x2
AMD Radeon HD-6850
Cooler Master HAF 922

After installing the parts, i was thrilled by the speed of my new setup (Updated from amd athlon 64 x2) and for the greedy sake of mine, i wanted it to be unlocked so in harsh situations, it would tune up to 4200 MHz. Well, I did not monitor the system for a long while but when i recently did, i saw the temperatures were above 60 degrees celcius when playing counter-strike 1.6. When i looked up that after 61 degrees celcius, it gets dangerous for new fx processors so i dived in bios to disable all overclocking features.

Since i dont remember what features i changed initially, after i installed my setup, i made some changes and ended up with the following settings:

MB Intelligent Tweaker
CPU Clock Ratio [x18]
CPU North Bridge Frequency [Auto]
Core Performance Boost [Disabled]
CPU Host Clock Control [Manual]
CPU Frequency MHz [200]
System Voltage Control [Auto] 1.325

Advanced BIOS Features
Load Line Control [Auto]
AMD C1E Support [Auto]
AMD C6 Support [Enabled]
Virtualization [Disabled]
AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control [Auto]
CPU Unlock [Disabled]

By the way, when changing those parameters, my voltage control was 1.325V and when viewing health status, cpu temperature was 64 degrees. When i booted up it was 47ish. ???

So here is the problem and how it looks like.
I decided ti run prime95.exe to see how my temperatures do under full load.
Before I started:
beforeo.png

exactly 1 min after starting prime95.exe tests:
1min.png

you should note that after like 3 seconds, temp was 45 degrees. And after 1 minute i needed to cancel since it was 69 degrees.

Finally the cooling phase, after around 20 secs or so:
20secafter.png

This situation strikes me as abnormal. Also i am pretty sure with those BIOS settings, i saw some cores going up to 4000, 3900 MHz while playing StarCraft II and causes overheating.

Can you diagnose what is wrong about the setup? Are those temperatures normal? What causes those rogue overclocks even when the unlock is disabled after it was initially enabled ?

Oh by the way, i might have an obsolete BIOS (installed from CD which was in mobo box) since i dont remember updating it.
Well, final words: I am sorry if it was reported/posted before and Thank you all for your attention.

Last edited:
Are you on stock Air cooling or stock Water/Liquid cooling? I have to ask because I know some units come with Air and some with Water/Liquid.

Stock thermal paste?

Any chance you could upload your screenshots directly to this website, that way we don't have to go to another website to see what you are talking about?

Also, if it's not too much trouble could you post pictures of your computer's insides here?

Other useful information: type of case you are using, number of intake and exhaust fans, type of fans, temperature of the room where the PC is.

Are you on stock Air cooling or stock Water/Liquid cooling? I have to ask because I know some units come with Air and some with Water/Liquid.

Stock thermal paste?

Any chance you could upload your screenshots directly to this website, that way we don't have to go to another website to see what you are talking about?

Also, if it's not too much trouble could you post pictures of your computer's insides here?

Other useful information: type of case you are using, number of intake and exhaust fans, type of fans, temperature of the room where the PC is.

he is running Stock HSF. With stock you can`t OC. it`s barely enough too keep a stock 8150 @3.6 under 65C. I whould recommend a new CPU cooler. Maybe a closed liquid loop Corsair H100i,H80i, Antec K920,NZXT Kraken x40 x60.

Stock thermal paste?

I'm deeply sorry about the missing information, it was late hour when i was posting so i might have just skipped some parts:) I editted the original post and will provide the information necessary below.

Stock Air Fan, Stock Thermal Paste (I just followed the instructions on the user manual of the products, i dont believe i made a mistake installing the cooler).
Cooler Master HAF 922, again stock fans (120mm back, 200mm front and top, default layout, i mean i did not flip them so they do not blow in wrong directions). 200mm front intake, 200mm top and 120mm back are exhaust fans.

About screenshots, i tried to upload them directly here but i guess i made something wrong so ill fix them asap. For the time being, i cannot post the inside of the case, but if its necessary ill post it this evening or in the worst case, tomorrow evening.

Finally about the room temperature, i do not own a temperature in the house, but according to CPUID hwmonitor it was 30 degrees, and considering the environment and trusting my feelings, id say it was 25-30 degrees celcius. The idle temperature of the cpu was 26 degrees, if its necessary to remind.

he is running Stock HSF. With stock you can`t OC. it`s barely enough too keep a stock 8150 @3.6 under 65C. I whould recommend a new CPU cooler. Maybe a closed liquid loop Corsair H100i,H80i, Antec K920,NZXT Kraken x40 x60.

I know his post said stock, but some of them came stock with a liquid cooler and some came stock with a heatsink.

If your MB has the F9 BIOS, you don't need update, it is Rev 1.1? I built a system for my dad using the same CPU and MB and he has no heat problems, I put a V6GT on it :) it will never get over 40c at stock speeds.
I have a FX-8150 and GA990FXA-UD5 MB, here is a screen shot of HWMonitor.

FX-8150-c.JPG

I'm running F@H on this PC so all cores are at max load at stock speed.

Like tungureanu said you need a better heatsink/ cooling solution. Also some good thermal paste.

Back