• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, upgrade advice for an OC'd Celeron D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanM

Registered
Hi,

I am running the following set-up:

System specifications:

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800 SE
Processor: Celeron D 330 D0 Stepping @ 3.68 GHZ / 184 FSB
Cooling: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu P4 Cooler
Memory: 2 X Crucial 512 MB PC3200 DDR 2.5 2 2 5
Graphics: Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 MB
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Power: Antec True Power 330 Watt PS

I am considering replacing my beloved Celeron D with an Intel Pentium 4 3.0E 800B (1MB) S478. I would really appreciate it if I could get some feedback on the following questions:

I run my Celeron D at 3.68 GHZ, will a stock Pentium 4 @ 3.0 GHZ significantly beat a Celeron D @ 3.68 GHZ? My main use is running Red Orchestra, a UT 2004 mod.

What is the over clocking potential of the P4 3.0E 800B (1MB) S478 chip?

Many thanks for your advice,

-Sean

The 3.0E should O/C 3.6 to 3.8 gig with good cooling. The 3.0E has 1M of cache compared to the Celly D's 256k, plus the P-4 will have lots higher FSB, so yes, the P-4 will definitely out perform the Celly D. You might have to run your RAM at the 5:4 ratio, but as long as you can use fairly tight timings, that won't be a problem.

At 200 mhz FSB, you will be on par with a P4E on memory bandwidth. The only thing you will be missing is cache and HT, which can mean next to nothing or next to everything depending on what you're doing. I would guess that the Celeron D @ 3.6 ghz will be about equal to a stock 3.0 in UT2004, with maybe a slight edge going to the P4.

So it sounds like for my use (UT2004) a Celeron D @ 3.7 GHZ is about equal to a stock P4 @ 3.0 GHZ. I will only impove my situation if the P4 3.0 is a good overclocker. If I can get a P4 3.0 GHZ up to 3.7 GHZ like my Celeron D I would be very happy.

Interesting choice. I have a great deal of repect for the 100 dollar Celeron D chip. Really good value.

you are about the same level as the stock P4, it really depends on what you're doing, 600mhz extra is about to make up for the missing cache.

Back