• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with 6600gt cooling!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chixofnix

the fan in the stock heatsink of my XFX 6600gt has suddenly gone buzzy (after almost exactly 6 months of service) and higher-pitched. It's annoying me to death. I want it to stop.

is this reason enough to request an RMA? I'm thinking it isn't, since the fan is still technically spinning and the card has yet to display artifacts or any visible sign of overheating (though I imagine the thing must be spinning slower than it was, and a mechanical freeze up could be looming over the horizon...).

so i'm thinking maybe the moral thing (?) to do is to buy a 3rd party heatsink that's quieter. I haven't bothered overclocking this card, and I don't really plan to until i need to to play the games I want to play. With that, and my desire for quietness in mind, I've jumped into the forums and found there are 5 solutions out there (listed here in order of decreasing cost):

#1: The Stasis Icestorm, commonly touted by consumer9000 here on the forums. Accepted as the de facto best performing cooler out there (for an AGP 6600gt), custom designed for the 6600gt agp. Also carrying the scariest pricetag - 51.98 shipped from the Stasis website (the only source I'm aware of).

#2: The Zalman VF-700Cu. This one has the advantage of being useable on future cards. 36.96 shipped from Xoxide.com to my zipcode.

#3: The Zalman VF-700AlCu. Same as its brother, but lighter, having some aluminum fins instead of straight copper. 28.85 shipped from newegg.com to me.

#4: The Jetart JACSH1. I've only ever heard of jetart once before and all I know is I wouldn't recommend you buy one of their laptops, if they're still in that business... anyway, this is 26.50 shipped from sidewindercomputers.com (i haven't yet found another place that stocks it, but i'm having trouble finding places that sell it... if you find a better one let me know and i'll update this list for others' use ;))

#5: I could try to get another stock heatsink for an XFX 6600gt from someone here at ocforums, but agp 6600gt roundups would need to be closely read to be sure the replacement isn't any worse than the existing stock solution (in my case my stock has gotten pretty bad however :p)...

is there any other option i've missed?

if not, would you do an RMA?
if not, which would you choose bearing in mind that at this time I'm focused primarily on quietness, then price?

PS: as an offshoot, I have some heatsinks from some old K-7s with attached fans, but I'm pretty sure they're not hefty enough for the heat made by this card... can anyone confirm that? (i'm not sure how i'd attach one anyway) for reference, the heatsink itself is about 50x50x40mm , 40mm being the height, fan included (which is about 10mm thick)

Last edited:
The Stasis Icestorm or vf700

i currently use the vf700cu and i don't get too bad of temps IMO. here's a post i mad a lil bit ago on my temps

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3847858&postcount=26

i would strongly recommend the Stasis Icestorm if you can afford it. i regret not buying it now that i look back :(

edit: i will send you my stock leadtek 6600gt HS also if you need something ASAP. all i'd need you to do is pay for shipping. for more details u can pm me.

Last edited:
Spion said:
The Stasis Icestorm or vf700

i currently use the vf700cu and i don't get too bad of temps IMO. here's a post i mad a lil bit ago on my temps

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3847858&postcount=26

i would strongly recommend the Stasis Icestorm if you can afford it. i regret not buying it now that i look back :(

edit: i will send you my stock leadtek 6600gt HS also if you need something ASAP. all i'd need you to do is pay for shipping. for more details u can pm me.

would you please comment on the vf700's noise as compared to your stock cooling solution? are they more or less similar or is one significantly quieter?

honestly i would be extremely happy to have an icestorm in my hands at this time, but seeing as silence (or relative quietness) and cost are my first priorities, and performance is one of my last, i'm quite hesitant to jump on the bandwagon...

that said, having scoured ALL of the posts discussing these cooling solutions, I only recall someone saying that this icestorm is next-to-silent when given 5V... this concerns me as I'm not sure what that implies about 12V noise (which is what I am assuming the card typically feeds it... can anyone enlighten me there?)

admittedly, it was late and i was tired last night before I finished reading all of that, so I may have missed something... I'll read through the search results again this evening if need be...

any comments anyone has about the relative noise levels each of these solutions present are most welcome!

...on your edit:

this is, if i'm not mistaken, your card (leadtek AGP 6600gt):
14-122-206-02.JPG
... and this is mine (XFX AGP 6600gt):
14-150-089-02.JPG
(images courtesy of newegg.com)

by inspection i would venture your stock heatsink should fit nicely onto my card as well - is this stock cooling solution much noiser than the vf700 you purchased?

I had that Leadtek cooler on my PCI-E version and that thing was damn near silent. My current cooler(Dynatron C61) now is kinda loud at 32 dba but my idle temps are in the mid 30's. Compared to the mid 40's of the stock cooler with AS5 on it. I don't know much about the noise factor of the XfX cooler though. The Leadtek heatsink does a good job of taking the temperature of the GPU and cooling it off. The heat is not retained as much in the heatsink because it is so thin and the fan's design allows the cooling to be effective. I would say that Spion's stock leadtek cooler would fit your card for the time being because both boards are the reference design. The hole alignment is the same. I would suggest that you either go with a Stasis or the Vf700. The stasis will offer you the best temp's but you have to fork out $50. You could always make your own if you want to save money and have ultra low temps. My two heatsink designs that I made cost me $25 plus about two hours of work.

Chixofnix said:
by inspection i would venture your stock heatsink should fit nicely onto my card as well - is this stock cooling solution much noiser than the vf700 you purchased?

for the 2 minutes i had the stock on, it wasn't any louider than the zalman, at least from what i could tell.

the icestorm has a dB rating of 27. so it won't be loud at all.

I also here some buzzing in there on my XFX too. Maybe it is because everything else is damn near silent. I am gettin the Zalman because it matches my cpu cooler and it has that silent factor. If it cools anything like my cpu cooler does then I shouldn't have any problem with the gpu.

Back