• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with notebook and mobile processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

I am looking to buy an inexpensive notebook preferably 11.6" to 14" screen and anywhere from eMMC 64GB to SSD 128GB. There are a lot variations and mainly interested in the standard usb 3.0 and usb-c 3.1 ports. Now I get stumbled on all the different CPU's from Celeron N4000 to Pentium N5000 to Pentium Gold, etc

All I need is a notebook to browse for download files like drivers, Google drive, etc and need it to playback 1080p video files recorded from a camcorder. No editing just to view and see how it looks and sounds. Any help welcome, thanks!

I found this one that is an i3 and probably newer CPU than all the rest and @ 349.00
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-14-...-frame-natural-silver/6352796.p?skuId=6352796

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd go for the fastest cpu you could afford because it is an irreplaceable item. Well, that and graphics card, but unless you game, anything will be fine in a laptop. Hard drive and ram can be upgraded/replaced.

I already had a Surface Pro 4 i5 128GB that I just sold cause it had short battery life and that sleep drain battery issue. After spending $1000 for it years back, I am not going that route again. I rather buy something cheap, but decent and upgrade (replace) if I ever need to. I think I am set on that i3 8145U CPU as it is less than $400 and seems to have a good battery life. Anything above that i3 takes a hit on battery life.

Just found out that this model https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-14-...silver-keyboard-frame/6353351.p?skuId=6353351 went on sale last week for $250, but darn I missed out.

Batteries are replaceable btw, unless it's a sealed unit, but even then, I think there's a way to replace em.
Sleep drain? Well, it's being in a low power state to quickly resume, so it continues to consume battery, just a lot slower than when its powered on.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Batteries are replaceable btw, unless it's a sealed unit, but even then, I think there's a way to replace em.
Sleep drain? Well, it's being in a low power state to quickly resume, so it continues to consume battery, just a lot slower than when its powered on.

The Surface Pro 4 battery drain was even an issue when even powered off. If I didn't use my tablet in a week or so, next time I powered it on, battery would be dead.

Interesting. Perhaps is was not completely powering off by design. (For a faster 'boot')

Well, it looks like you narrowed dwn to what you'd like. :)

Yeah probably for easy waking up and I tried all the tweaks available in other forums. I don't know what I was thinking buying the Surface Pro 4 when it came out, haha, never again when I know I could have gotten more bang for my buck elsewhere.

Anyways I mainly use my notebook for when I record 1080p video and need to see it on a bigger screen. I do the editing and such on my main desktop. All I am worried is that this low cost mobile processors won't struggle playing videos in various HD 1080p format; that's basically what I need it for. The USB 3.0 speed will help me transfer videos back and forth with ease. So yeah no gaming, no editing, basically a Windows Notebook as a spare to travel.

I also have my Samsung Tab S5e 10.5" android tablet, but its not the same doing stuff like in a Windows Environment for some situations especially when my desktop crashes and I need some other method to download software ASAP :)

Sorry a little late to the thread. These days I'd bet most notebooks with anything above the base-model Atoms can handle 1080 playback. Back in college I had a little Zotac barebones with an E450 APU, basically AMDs response to the Atom, that could handle it as long as I stuck to a media player with hardware acceleration support.

Back