• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmm, no one's posted this? Themalright GPU cooler reviewed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If memory cooling was unecessary, OEM's would not go to the expense of including it to begin with! No doubt there was grumbling when nvidia released the reference cooling standards for the NV40 lineup initially...

My card might be out of the ordinary but with in three seconds of a video memory sink falling off I have wierd effects show up. This is with two 80mm fans blowing on the top and bottem of the card from the side. Also, I don't remember what my Albatron Ti 4600 came with but it's RAM sinks get hot enough for me to notice everytime I get into that case and it too has good air flow.

Atleast some modern video RAM chips get more then hot enough to cause problems if not sinked.

consumer9000 said:
...Also, if they are using ammonia or some other cheap coolant in the heatpipe, they will need it to be nickel plated so it doesn't rot out....

I always thought that the coolent in most heatpipes was just water under a vacum... :confused:

Last edited:
I have asked Thermalright themselves where I can buy, even if I have to get one via them.

Im interested as to what they will say...

i'm wondering if this would fit a DFI sli-dr mobo in SLI setup?
( meaning the clerance between the two cards?)

consumer9000 said:
The nickel plating is cheap, and hides the cheap inconistant asian metal they are using! Also, if they are using ammonia or some other cheap coolant in the heatpipe, they will need it to be nickel plated so it doesn't rot out.
I'm glad to see yet another option on the market...but it's nothing revolutionary unfortunately. :(

Not plating the base would be cheaper. Nickle is fairly hard (hard to scratch, and dent), and isn't a bad heat conductor, so there are reasons for using it.

As I am sure there are reasons for your post(Stasis).

lmao so true 9mm
it looks pretty good
and all about this talk about ram not needing cooling
how come most highend cards with fast ram (at least good cards) have them?
most ti 4600's and 4800's had cooling on the ram... actually all of them did
ram does get hot...
besides, what happens if i want to voltmod my memory?
then how do you cool the ram
ill get one for my new video card if they can get cooling for teh ram to work

lowfat said:
meh. the fact that it doesn't allow ramsinks is a big turnoff for me.

Same here. There is no way that I would even consider buying a heatsink that didn't at least leave space for ramsinks. I might be wrong but it looks like you can't even place ramsinks on the overlapped areas. I'll wait for a version that cools that ram too.

pwnt by pat said:
Oh, that sucks. Let the flaming begin.

Until a mod brings in the bottle of threadlock, and lets its heaping justice overflow to prevent any more fires from arising in this thread.

;)

I'm going to have to agree with larva on this one. I also have a vm-101 and I am sure that is performs better than this thing, plus It allows me to have ramsinks. Unlike larva, I am not running my cooler passive. I have a low-speed 92mm fan blowing through the fins. It is currently on my fx5700 ultra, which has the core overclocked to over 600mhz, up from 475. On the stock BFG cooling the temps at stock speeds were around 60C. With the vm-101 and a fan my stock temps barely hit 35C, and my overclocked temps never get past 42C. And this is with terrible case aiflow provided by two 900rpm 120mm fans in a room without A/C. I plan to lap the base of it, as it is rather rough and anodized, which should give even better temps. For $20, I don't see how it can be beat.

Cant wait to see 6600gt AGP results. so i can decide to wait for this or get a stasis >_>

Back