• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i fix my ram it shows 4gb when i got 6gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vandel777

what are some of the options

maybe 1 stick DOA

also keep in mind i just put my computer together 1hour b4 posting this .... maybe its in BIOS? who knows looking for ideas

system is

rampage iii formula
950 i7 intel
3x2gb muskin 6cas
850 kingwin psu
2x460gtx
antec 1200
1tb hdd
rand cdrom
darkknight aftermarket cpu cooler

help me out please what could of went wrong

did u install a 32 bit OS?

nop windows 7 64bit

i downloaed CPU -z and it shows 6gb

threw my computer or the CTRL-ALT-DLT it shows 4gb

i took a idea from this video on youtube he has 24gb of ram couldnt get it to detect but enabled a thing in the BIOS to make it work and it did

its called "memory config protect" and i tried enabling it and it didnt work but he always was talking about some type of overclocking stuff to

http://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips#p/search/1/5AOylHaCyUA

only got 1 small problem though see if you guys know wuts up

didnt **** with any overclocking wont intill i no everything is all good

windows 7 64bit
its SLI gtx 460s btw and they run very cool aswell the cpu

i downloaed CPU -z and it shows 6gb / bench marks shows 6gbs /Everest shows 6gb / (my computer shows 4gb) / task manager shows 4gb.......

i took a idea from this video on youtube he has 24gb of ram couldnt get it to detect but enabled a thing in the BIOS to make it work and it did

its called "memory config protect" and i tried enabling it and it didnt work but he always was talking about some type of overclocking stuff to

http://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTec.../1/5AOylHaCyUA

BenchMarkScore-1.png

ALso my Ram isnt set to its 1600mhz like said

but i went in BIOS and this might relate to my issue with it oonly showing 4gb of ram

it shows the DRAM can only be set to 800/1066 on a Locked cpu
i dont want to unlock incase i have issue with my computer its first day

what should i do

cause i do believe that voids the warranty

1. Try higher IOH like 1.18V or 1.24V
2. Try higher QPI/VTT voltage till about 1.35V
3. Try to set RTL manually:
- 1st run on auto 1600 , read what values you have under A/B/C
- 2nd set all these timings with +1-2 more , for example 42/44/45 change to 43/45/46 ( I don't know what are your default settings so it's just an example )

If I'm right then you have Mushkin 1600 6-8-6-x 1.65V kit so you can also try VDIMM up to 1.68V but I doubt that you will need it as most these kits will run at about 1.60V
Many ASUS boards have problems to read SPD right and for example my board reads different timings on older and newer bios. Many have also problems with undervolting QPI and other things.

There are also many topics about it and most QPI/VTT voltage related but I noticed that problem can be with other settings as above.
Try also here.

ALso my Ram isnt set to its 1600mhz like said

but i went in BIOS and this might relate to my issue with it oonly showing 4gb of ram

it shows the DRAM can only be set to 800/1066 on a Locked cpu
i dont want to unlock incase i have issue with my computer its first day

what should i do

cause i do believe that voids the warranty

in order for me to go to 1600 i have to unlock my cpu i dont want to do that on the first day seeing how everything runs b4 i do that it will void warranty :(

You won't lose warranty after oc unless something will be burned in not "standard" way .. and believe me it's really hard to burn most x58 boards ... There is also no way to check how high you set your memory or cpu clocks, what more memory XMP settings include oc options and boards are compatible with it. Do you think that asus will give all that info about how great are their boards for oc when it could void warranty ? or give info that boards are working with ram up to 2000+ ( even that some aren't :p ). Intel isn't saying anything about voiding warranty because of clocks, maybe because of too high voltages that are still higher than you need.

You won't lose warranty after oc unless something will be burned in not "standard" way .. and believe me it's really hard to burn most x58 boards ... There is also no way to check how high you set your memory or cpu clocks, what more memory XMP settings include oc options and boards are compatible with it. Do you think that asus will give all that info about how great are their boards for oc when it could void warranty ? or give info that boards are working with ram up to 2000+ ( even that some aren't :p ). Intel isn't saying anything about voiding warranty because of clocks, maybe because of too high voltages that are still higher than you need.

Oic i thought thats why they had that lock/unlock thing for overclocking cause i guess once u unlock it u cant ever lock it again so i thought thats a way how they no

guess i was wrong

Make sure your memory remapping is enabled. I know for my Asus P5B deluxe they have a feature in there that is an additional safeguard against having more than 4gb.. for some... !@#$ed up reason. Your bios/manual should tell you if it's there

Anyways just taking a guess, i can't see it being any timing or speed settings unless you are mixing ram and you are not.

Make sure your memory remapping is enabled. I know for my Asus P5B deluxe they have a feature in there that is an additional safeguard against having more than 4gb.. for some... !@#$ed up reason. Your bios/manual should tell you if it's there

Anyways just taking a guess, i can't see it being any timing or speed settings unless you are mixing ram and you are not.

ill check i just set my ram to normal timings and speed

at 1.64v 6/8/6/24 started up fine but still only showing 4 gigs threw task manager and my computer properties

ill look at manual about wut u said see if i can find out what that is

i quote this from this site it shows bunch of stuff /pictures of the motherboard

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/12/02/asus_maximus_iii_formula_motherboard_review/3

"Under the advanced chipset menu you'll find the Uncore configuration menu. Here the only thing you can do is enable or disable the memory remapping feature"'

anyways i go in this options like the picture shows and all i see is 1 option like it says but its called

INTEL VT-D CONFIGURATION
only things i can do is disable/enable

Default is disable

would that option be it?

Looked on this site aboout it http://software.intel.com/en-us/blo...el-virtualization-technology-for-directed-io/

Looks like its it?
ill give it a try and see the results

Grr that did not work either still sitting at 4 gbs of ram?

is it possible that even those the CPUZ/BENCHMARK/Everest ect programs show 6gb then task manager/my computer propeties show 4gb
maybe 1 of my ram sticks is DOA

or maybe one of the slots is dead

it would suck if one of the slots was dead cause my CPU cooler covors up slot #1 im in 2/4/6 :(

looking for ideas need to figure this out

maybe one of my motherboard slots isnt reading?

i tired the other slots but it wouldnt start lol maybe u cant do that in first place tho..?

Try reseating RAM. I had this problem and it was because of instability... are all the timings and voltages correctly set for the memory?

Try reseating RAM. I had this problem and it was because of instability... are all the timings and voltages correctly set for the memory?

i reset like 10 times and yes they are all correct the defualt was even lower and still showed 4gbs

i reset like 10 times and yes they are all correct the defualt was even lower and still showed 4gbs

he said re-seat.. but as cpu-z shows 6gb that won't help.

take out memory 1 by 1 out of the sockets. If it stays 4gb with each of the 3 slots empty then it's a setting issue, not the socket issue you think it might be.

problem solved should o done this earlier lol but i didnt think it was the case

SLOT 2 is dead :( got to RMA

When i get my new motherboard will i have to mess around with the drivers and **** again... or could i jusst set it up and go sense i already downloaded latest drivers for everything

Back