• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot are YOUR mosfets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

My mosfets have tiny heatsinks on them (I think OCZ's). I stuck a temperature probe on the heatsink and it read 80C! lol. This hasn't really effected my overclock, but my vcore was a bit jumpy; from 1.88V to 1.92V and constantly jumping. I stuck two 40mm fans on them and now the vcore has stablized more to 1.9V. It occasionally goes up or down a little but at least it stays or goes back to 1.9V.

Lesson is, put some heatsinks on those suckers and ALSO a fan. Even if it doesn't help your OC, it'll be better for your motherboard (I'm sure). :)

when i was running a bios vcore of 2.04 on one of my chips i cant remember witch my mosfets were measured with a compunurse were over 96c (meltdown) even with a cut up old hs on them after i stuck a fan over them they were just barly warm

They were getting to 85 the other night, but i've jammed a 80mm fan running at 5v in there and dropped down to ~55, 44 if i run the fan at 12v but i like silence

Bogie said:
Do you have any pics of how you put a fan there, i just put a hs on my sb. But i would like to add a fan there.

I don't know how you'd be able to fit a fan on your SB, it's a tight fit since the video card is right there. Here's a picture of mine. Sorry if it's a bit blurry, hand was shaky with the camera in an awkward position
P1010015.JPG

And this is how I "mounted" my two fans over my mosfets. Yes, it's ghetto but it'll do for now ;)
p1010014.JPG

Mine aren't that hot without any cooling at all.
I can "put my finger on it" for any period of time, it won't burn.
Actually my SB is a LOT hotter.

Well, I've got a 120mm blowhole that kinda bathes everything in a nice cool stream (it actually dropped cpu temps by a few degrees, and i'm watercooled, lol, guess waterblocks can still transfer heat to air like a regular heatsink ^_^) - but that doesnt seem to be able to cool down my unsinked mosfets enough, as my vCore seems to undervolt 'a bit' - once i sink them tho, with that fan, it should be 1337 ^_^

dreammmatt said:
Well, I've got a 120mm blowhole that kinda bathes everything in a nice cool stream (it actually dropped cpu temps by a few degrees, and i'm watercooled, lol, guess waterblocks can still transfer heat to air like a regular heatsink ^_^) - but that doesnt seem to be able to cool down my unsinked mosfets enough, as my vCore seems to undervolt 'a bit' - once i sink them tho, with that fan, it should be 1337 ^_^

Even with mosfet cooling, it's still going to undervolt a bit. No worries, just set your bios vcore a little higher and monitor your actual vcore through mbm or something :)

I'd stick heatsinks on em if I had heatsinks to stick on...

I'm gunna sink my southbridge though...

get's hot with onboard sound/lan running full out for a while.

Mine are damn hot. Even with the abundant cooling I have. I also have my SB active cooled. Its a tight fit, but I can manage.

126.jpg

Even with my large MOFSET coolers, the sinks are atleast 60c* at the tips:eek:

118.jpg

Mosfets are watercooled, 29c idle and they going up to 35 under load :beer:
Cheers

NoxxB

"How hot are YOUR mosfets?"

I wonder if I can get away with using that as a cheap pickup line?

Mine are heatsinked with a 80mm fan blowing right at them.

Back