• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to hook up two computers without hub..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

!-=sky=-!

topic........and i mean by sharing internet connection with any program.......also how to hook up without hub(no $$ to buy)

i know this is possible with 2 lan cards on one system and 1 on the other.....but i forgot how to do this....thx

Just use a "crossover" cable between the two nic's. It will not work with a "normal" cable. "Crossover" cables are usually orange...

The only thing to note when you are doing it that way is that the computer w/ 2 nics has to be on for the other computer to get access to the internet.

One other thing is that you may have to play with your Routing tables to get it to work properly, but most of the time windows sets that up right (but if it doesn't, that is where the problem will be)

well....i have the crossover cable already

but the problem is that the two computers never see each other even in network neighbourhood(it is set to be in the same network)

what's up with that?
thx

-=sky=- said:
well....i have the crossover cable already

but the problem is that the two computers never see each other even in network neighbourhood(it is set to be in the same network)

what's up with that?
thx

Check your bindings and your protocols and check to see if you get lights on your NICs after you plug in your crossover cable if you made your crossover cable you could have your wiring order wrong.

Make sure A: The NetBEUI protocol is installed on both computers, and B: they both have IP addresses (192.168.0.x is good) C: File/Printer Sharing is installed

This will ensure they can see eachother and share files, printers, and internet. If you are looking to play games, install IPX/SPX on both aswell, it's a common protocol.

su root said:
Make sure A: The NetBEUI protocol is installed on both computers, and B: they both have IP addresses (192.168.0.x is good) C: File/Printer Sharing is installed

This will ensure they can see eachother and share files, printers, and internet. If you are looking to play games, install IPX/SPX on both aswell, it's a common protocol.

If hes trying to use Internet Connection Sharing inside win98, neither Netbeui or IPX will work, The 98 implementation uses tcp/ip only. I would install IPX if you are running older LAN games without tcp/ip support. There is no need to install Netbeui.

On the host computer, the DSL NIC would be set for DHCP. The NIC for the LAN would be set for something ficticious, then the NIC in the other machine would be set for DHCP.

File sharing only one-way

I have a crossover setup and I thought everything was working fine until I tried to access files on the second computer from the internet sharing computer. I can't seem to get the second computer to share anything. No "share" appears on any menu. I have checked everything I can think of to check. File sharing is checked and I have every protocol installed, IPX, TCP/IP, NETBUI and a couple others. I can access anything on the internet sharing computer from the second computer but not the other way. Is this normal for this type of setup or did I miss something?

NICs are Diamond phoneline/ethernet combo using a Belkin ethernet crossover cable.

Try deleting your File/Printer Sharing Client from the computer that you can't get files from, then reinstall it by clicking on the "Share Files and Printers" button. When the window comes up, check share files (and if you want, share printers).

Then a "sharing" tab should appear in the properties of drives and directories, share something, and your good to go.

ok...so if i read this right i wil need to install tcp/ip, netbeui and ipx?

what do i do after that? is it when the sharing program kicks in?

In the network properties, there's a "File and Print Sharing" then, in the dialog, check files if you want to share files, and printers if you want to share printers. If you want to share internet access, you can use ICS or install an external program like WinGate.

It quit again

Ok this is getting frustrating. I have everything up and running fine (see my previous post). Both computers sharing everything I add. Seti connecting to the sharing computer's modem. Then - nothing! The second computer seems to just stop sharing for some reason. I get error messages saying the other computer can't be connected. I fixed this once by completely removing the card then reinstalling but there has to be something causing it. Could I have a bad NIC or do I maybe have something screwed in the protocols?

ok thx for teaching me~

anyways.......i got myself a router.....yay!...it's so easy to set up.....go into router internal ip then select internet connection plug in cables and everything is online.....

i got one problem though.....why do i have to reset the connection after i d/l around 1-2 GB stuff? this happens everytime....and it's getting annoying..plz help

Ok I figured it out. I've been overclocking so long with no problems I didn't even think about odd bus speeds. I dropped my PII unit back to 100/33 and everything works fine. That processor won't handle 133/33 and the NIC won't handle any odd bus speed at all so I'm stuck at the stock 100/33 or 400Mhz. ARGH! Oh well at least my 600 PIII is still ok at 800.

Anyone care to recommend good NICs for overclocking? These Diamonds have got to go. I can't stand running stock. It feels so.... weird!

Hayduke said:
Ok I figured it out. I've been overclocking so long with no problems I didn't even think about odd bus speeds. I dropped my PII unit back to 100/33 and everything works fine. That processor won't handle 133/33 and the NIC won't handle any odd bus speed at all so I'm stuck at the stock 100/33 or 400Mhz. ARGH! Oh well at least my 600 PIII is still ok at 800.

Anyone care to recommend good NICs for overclocking? These Diamonds have got to go. I can't stand running stock. It feels so.... weird!

the intels and 3com are not bad

Back