• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how's an AC unit for cooling? :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SilentandDeadly

Registered
i bet it would work too, i was just reading the refrigerator topic, and this sounds reasonable too... get a duct to the back of the case and have it run separate from the rest of the house, there ya go, cheap cold cooling, just crank it way down to the lowest possible temps (usually pretty damn cold) and you have very icy cooling at no extra cost to you...well, maybe, you would have to run it constantly all year to use it well... so this isn't very practical or easy...forget it...

That Idea works fine. Basically you are taking cool,dry air from the A/C and heating it up with the computer so no condensation problems.

I did it when we had that extreme heatwave this summer.

Just remember to remove the ducting or turn the A/C off when you shut off your machine as the Hard drives have a hard time starting when really cold.

Now the ambients are liveable I dont bother doing it.

illbreakit said:
you will get condensation all over your motherboard me thinks.

Actually if the entire inside of the case had a shot of cold air then the condensation would be on the outside of the case.

What would be a bad idea, is to run the A/C without the computer on, and then turn the pc on later, after the A/C is off again. Then you would have a computer that is colder than room temp between cycles, and that would equal condensation.
To run them at the same time is no problem.

Considering what I have spent on Vapochill's etc. a 5 or 6 hundred dollar room air conditioner isn't that bad. What I would like to do is use drier hose and make a couple of brackets to mount an "in" and "out" line in my Vapochill case. Then I could just blow the cold air in and onto the mobo and out the other side
exiting the case to the exhaust hose back outside. The case could be insulated to prevent condensation. This of course would be feasable if it could somehow improve my overclocking.

mike

Back