• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I fried my 8rda+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

For those of you who have yet to try the vdd mod be very very careful that the resistor wires don't touch anything else other then the two intended targets. First off I don't know how the hell someone can solder such a small wire without at the same time risking a fair amount that your solder will accidently also touch the other very close metal circuit point. So what I tried to do was to first test the mod with a fixed resistor by simply spacing bending it in such a ways that the wires touch the end of the chip much using the same idea behind getting headphones to stay on your head. It worked the first time with no problems but when I replaced the resistor with another one it must have come in contact with something it wasn't supposed to. An instant later I started getting smoke on the chip over the vdd mod. The board is now dead. I'm hoping though that this catastrophe was limited only to the board itself and not to any of my other hardware. I don't have another amd board to test my cpu/video card/ram at the moment so I was wondering if anyone here would know whether or not the rest of my hardware might be fried as well. Thanks

Sorry to hear about that man, this mod is pretty simple but if you've never soldered before I can see how it may pose a challenge.

Well it was just that the damn chip was so small I was so worried of getting the solder on a connection it wasn't supposed to touch. Oh well.. considering the new nforce2 ultra 400 mb coming out soon I'll think I will go with one of those. Any info on which one of them might be the best to go with 8rda3+ maybe?

Back