• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlepri

In the next week or so I will be ordering a fan controller to add to the ever growing collection of wires in my PC case. I am looking for some input and recommendations.

Right now I am looking at either of these two MultiFunction controllers.

Enermax 2X2 Ultimate Controller
Super Flower SF-609 Fan Master with 5 Faceplates

I will be controlling two 120mm Fans (panaflo 120x38mm / Enermax 120x25mm) and one 92mm cpu fan (Panaflo 92x25). Nothing heavy duty like a Tornado.

I have read many professional reviews but I value the opinion of everyday users.

I have heard rumors the some of these controllers make an audible buzzing sound – I would like to steer clear (I am looking to reduce annoying sounds not add to it). :)

Any comments Please.

Any basis for your decision? However, I was leaning towards the Enermax since it allows you to control your fan voltage from 4 volts. I think the SuperFlower starts at 7 volts.

Mostly because the specs aren't available on the Super Flower..:( The Enermax is good for 18 watts per channel..Not sure who makes the SF! Enermax has some good products..Just stay away from their fans..:D They make a high pitch noise at full tilt.;)

Yes I agree with you regarding the Enermax Fan - I have some first hand experience with the high pitched noise they produce at full throttle.

The Enermax controller may be the one then. I would assume that 18 watts would be sufficient for most of the fans out there (excluding tornado) and may allow me to double up on some channels in the future if the need arises.

Yeppers..The 92mm Tornado is rated at 1 amp/ 12 watts..Plenty of head room..:)
And you can run 12 to 16 watts per channel...I always like to leave a little head room.;)

dukat said:
i heard good things about the sunbeam controller. 0-12V and 20W per channel...

If you really like the screen on those things, ignore this post. I also recommend the Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller. It can be had for $15 at svc and is top of the line. No display screen though...

Sunbeam. It just makes sense! Cost is 25% of any other, 4 channels, can actually go down to OFF (zero volts), comes packaged with multiple adapters, Y-connectors, did I mention it was cheap? ONLY downside, is the bright-*** LED lights (easily fixed though). Make sure you get V.2, it comes in silver and black.

I just don't think it is worth it to have temp displays for $50, rheo's that support only small fans, and only go to 7V. I like to turn off some case fans, or go below 7V. Plus, there is no humming noise like a lot of other fan controllers..

-Frank

Ok - Now you have me considering the Sunbeam (as it seams that most people like that controller). My question is that since the sunbeam has no LCD how are you monitoring the RPM's of your system fans (Motherboard Monitor)?. I was considering a controller with an LCD so that I can dial up specific RMP settings dependent upon the system applications I am running.

jlepri, The only rpm thats important to monitor is the fan on the HS..But you can see a temp. rise if there's a problem..I use Speedfan to get my temps..By monitoring your temps, it eliminates the need for rpm monitoring..:) I thought that would be cool, early on in my OC'ing, but have found out different..:D I do have one thermal probe that came with my cases fan controller..It's attached to the back of the mobo on the northbride chip with thermal tape..When I buy a new controller it will be the Sunbeam..

CLICK HERE

THERMAL MONITOR LINK

jlepri said:
Ok - Now you have me considering the Sunbeam (as it seams that most people like that controller). My question is that since the sunbeam has no LCD how are you monitoring the RPM's of your system fans (Motherboard Monitor)?. I was considering a controller with an LCD so that I can dial up specific RMP settings dependent upon the system applications I am running.

one thing to remember, some fans don't start at low voltage settings

i'm suprised no one has mentioned a vantec nexus fan contoller, had no problems with it, 4 knob 5.5" mated with a lian-li 5.5" dual temps guages

also have a couple of enermax 3.5'" 2 knob + lcd on ssf shuttles, set and forget and monitor the temps, works great in these setups

also have and use digidocs and a 6 toggle hi/off/lo 5.25" controllers

played around with different fan speeds in a large case and by monitoring the temps, takes a while to see any changes(providing it's running normal) ~~~ so skip the lcd option and rely on mbm5

Ok, I am starting to lean towards the Sunbeam. My motherboard has two thermal sensors (CPU and Case) and the Antec P160 Case has two thermal sensors. Therefore, I really don’t need the extra thermal sensors the come with a multifunction fan controller.

Do you know if the sunbeam comes with splitters so that I can monitor the RPM’s of my cpu and case fans through the headers on the motherboard? I realize the temperature is more of a concern the RPM’s but I would like to use the RPM readings so that I know if I turned a fan off. Thanks.

a c i d.f l y said:
Sunbeam. It just makes sense! Cost is 25% of any other, 4 channels, can actually go down to OFF (zero volts), comes packaged with multiple adapters, Y-connectors, did I mention it was cheap? ONLY downside, is the bright-*** LED lights (easily fixed though). Make sure you get V.2, it comes in silver and black.

I just don't think it is worth it to have temp displays for $50, rheo's that support only small fans, and only go to 7V. I like to turn off some case fans, or go below 7V. Plus, there is no humming noise like a lot of other fan controllers..

-Frank

Can you explain your easy fix for the bright led's?

Ok, how would I get RPM sensing from those adapters. I would need a 3-pin to 3-pin adapter with an rpm sensing leads (I have not found one, yet). As an alternative a guess I could get a 3-pin Y-adapter and just remove the +12v and GND wire off one of the leads to use it for RPM sensing. I hope this makes sense -

Back