• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to add a forth fan on top of my heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rizge

I have currently 2X80mm fans and 1X60 mm Fan on my heatsink
i want to add another 2X80mm Fans instead of this 60mm Fan
U got any idea how
the heatsink is standard sized and and i when i can put these 4 fans each one of them will be only tight with one screw
u think this might work?
anyone did that before and can help me
and if u got photos or links please tell me

Can you take pics of how you have it set up now? I don't know how you even got 3 fans on it. Or can you tell us what kind of heatsink it is?

Mike K said:
Can you take pics of how you have it set up now? I don't know how you even got 3 fans on it. Or can you tell us what kind of heatsink it is?

Same with me. That's why I didn't reply to this thread, I wasn't sure how in the H3ll you got 3 fans mounted on one Heatsink. Pics and we can help ! "Maybe"

I use to have an old Vantec with two 60mm fans side by side:

heatsink was about 70mm by 100mm, so the fans fit next to each other with a bit hanging over on the ends.
Worked pretty good- but not as good as one 6000 rpm Delta on the same heatsink.

I think I have the idea of what you are trying to do, but unless I am very mistaken it will still not be as effective as a really good heatsink with a decent fan.

If you are going to try it anyway- just because you can:D- here is one trick I have used:
use cable ties to strap the fans together through the unused mounting holes.
Longer screws may help to hold the assembly on the heatsink, since I think you are going to put them in the 4 fan corners in the middle (right next to each other!)

Am I close to your idea with that?

PICS are simply impossible for me to take as i don't have a digital camera but i can illustrate it for u guys (Photo Shop or smthg)
as for the heatsink it is a foxconn heatsink (not famous) and it is 70*70 i think
not that big but i didn't attach the whole fans wholely on it
the 2 80MM fans are half over the ram and half over the heatsink and the 60mm one is so as well
i will now try to paint a picture to show u what i mean
please be patient :)

are they directly mounted on or do you have some sort of funnle?

i dont see why you couldnt do 4 if you had a reducer type of thing that didnt allow a dead zone right wehre all 4 meet

Whoa.. that arrangement won't do the heatsink any good.
Since you have so much air wooshing by just outside the heatsinks perimeter you'll stop the flow FROM the heatsink. You are creating backpressure since the air outside heatsink hits the motherboard square.
If you must have 3 or 4 fans(by obsession or whatever) make sure you duct it, concentrate it to the middle of the heatsink.
Let the air rushing out from the heatsink cool the stuff around(like mems northbridge whatever).
A bit more than just my gut feeling /Paxmax

I was getting about 63*C (WTF) at first with standard cooler tualtan 1.1
i put 2X80 and 1X60 Fans now i got 28*C idle and 31.5*C
Outside Tempreture is in the mid 20

I don't think it'll work. He already is putting alot of dead zones in his heat sin. The more fans he add the more airflow he get's, but sooner or later he'll be dealing with dead zones in air flow noise and dust.

I bet his northbridge is prtty cool tho <g>
-Toysrme

I suggest just using a heatsink 'fanadapter' and using one 80-120mm fan

logo.jpg

Several Fan Adapters are sold here
http://www.nexfan.com/43/cat43.htm?761

Back