• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i want to buy a good gaming laptop for ~$1400 (examples inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

im thinking of sending my g53sw in for repairs and when its repaired and selling it. i am currently paying cash for physical therapy and need the money. if my insurance does end up covering it i plan on getting another laptop within a month or so (i have to wait 30 days to find out the decision of the appeal). what would you suggest for a girl that likes to game?

do you thinki should upgrade the cpu?

Sager NP9150 / Clevo P150EM
- FREE!! Continental (U.S. Lower 48 - UPS Ground Only) Ground Shipping on ALL Sager Laptops (Enter Coupon Code: "SAGERFREESHIP" during order process)
- TRIBES ASCEND PROMO PACK - FREE! ($60 Value) - with the Purchase of Any SAGER 9130, 9150, or 9170 (One per customer / While supplies last)
- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen (SKU - S1R316)
- NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Sager - 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP) (SKU – S2R174)
- -Stock OEM Thermal Compound
- nVidia GeForce GTX 675M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology [User Upgradeable] (SKU – S3R518)
- No Video Adapter
- No External Mobile Display
- 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) - SPECIAL! (SKU - S4P369)
- Sager Branding
- Standard Finish
- No mSATA SSD
- 500gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - Default (SKU - S5R207)
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software

sub total:$1,399.00

also interested in the 9170

Last edited:
I guess you want it to be useable from bed/bedside, so therefore as light as possible while still good at gaming?
if i could surf the web in bed, that would be nice. i do have an hp touchpad as well so in bed isnt rreally that big of a deal.
if you want a very powerful laptop at a good price here is my suggestion it has one of the most powerful mobile videocards out right now and made by a very trustworthy company ASUS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230408 my friend just got one and loves it.

sadly. with new egg, they charge tax wghich makes it nearly a 1600$ laptop. also i hear sager laptops allow you to upgrade the graphics card later on... this wouldnt be true with asus, right?

ive never seen a laptop with upgradable video cards ether.but if you get one with the 670m in it i wouldn't imagine you would ever need to upgrade it.

newegg charges you tax? ive lived in three states and ordered from them and have never been charged any tax at all=( i believe bestbuy sells that aus laptop for the same price alos so you might want to check there if your interested in it=)

Upgradeable GPUs isn't anything new, lol. Newegg charges tax in states that they have warehouses in: NJ, TN, and CA (I think).

I would recommend a Clevos from XoticPC, or a similarly speced whatever in that price range (probably MSI and ASUS).

Excellent choice of gaming laptop if you ask me. Sager do try to make sure the GPU is upgradable by using the MXM form factor but nothing is for sure when it comes to upgrading GPU's in a laptop.

You may think this is a bit picky, but I would recommend upgrading the stock TIM to a thermal compound instead of the stock thermal paste. It will be worth it in the long run :)

Excellent choice of gaming laptop if you ask me. Sager do try to make sure the GPU is upgradable by using the MXM form factor but nothing is for sure when it comes to upgrading GPU's in a laptop.

You may think this is a bit picky, but I would recommend upgrading the stock TIM to a thermal compound instead of the stock thermal paste. It will be worth it in the long run :)
of course. :) i forgot to check that box. i do plan on overclocking the graphics card, so diamond paste is probably a lot better.

do you think the 675 is all that much better than the 670? i wont be upgrading it to a 680 because the price jump is way too high. is the difference between a 675 and 680 all that noticeable? Do you think this set up will run gta 5 well at all?

A 670 or anything higher should be able to run gta5 with no problems on highest settings=)

I don't know how you feel about alienware but their products are well within your price range.
looks nice and pretty much has all the parts you were looking for.
you can get in any color you want and you can customize the whole thing.
look at the m17x it has the 680 in it.

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx

Last edited:
yea alienwares are nice but they nickle and dime you almost as bad as apple does,that m17 only comes with a gtx660 they want another $550 to make it a gtx680 and like another $400 to add a ssd to it. her best bet is to just find something that has a great cpu and gpu and upgrade the ram and HDD when she has some extra cash for it.

yea alienwares are nice but they nickle and dime you almost as bad as apple does,that m17 only comes with a gtx660 they want another $550 to make it a gtx680 and like another $400 to add a ssd to it. her best bet is to just find something that has a great cpu and gpu and upgrade the ram and HDD when she has some extra cash for it.

trololol I didn't see that, thanks for pointing it out!
talk about false advertisement... here lets put that it's got a 680 on the main page then when they go to customize it they find out it cost 500 extra.

well the ssd is the least part of it, you can just buy one open up the hdd tray and replace it yourself to save alot of money.

But now that i saw that thing about the 680... bleh....

i'd stay away from that unless you dont mind using the 660

trololol I didn't see that, thanks for pointing it out!
talk about false advertisement... here lets put that it's got a 680 on the main page then when they go to customize it they find out it cost 500 extra.

well the ssd is the least part of it, you can just buy one open up the hdd tray and replace it yourself to save alot of money.

But now that i saw that thing about the 680... bleh....

i'd stay away from that unless you dont mind using the 660

i have an older model intel ssd. its sata II 80 gigs. perferably id like a set up that allows for 2 hdds.

is the 675m anywhere near as capable as the 6950 desktop card?

Last edited:
i have an older model intel ssd. its sata II 80 gigs. perferably id like a set up that allows for 2 hdds.

is the 675m anywhere near as capable as the 6950 desktop card?

I don't know but here is a comparison of the 7970m vs the 675m
I think the 6950m and the 675m will probably perform on par

attachment.php

I don't know but here is a comparison of the 7970m vs the 675m
I think the 6950m and the 675m will probably perform on par

attachment.php

thats a huge difference... dang... but im referring to the 6950 desktop card. i read somewhere that the 675m isnt too far off from the 6950 desktop card, which i find hard to believe.

thats a huge difference... dang... but im referring to the 6950 desktop card. i read somewhere that the 675m isnt too far off from the 6950 desktop card, which i find hard to believe.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it is true.

I have the new MBPR with a 650M in it and it is simply impressive.

Plays SC2 @ 2880x1800 with everything cranked up and still runs over 30fps.

But the 7970m looks just sick for a laptop.

Last edited:
Back