• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I4770K and H100i Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The best I could get is 4.2 ghz at 1.2V. If I raise the ghz and/or both my CPU will reboot. I guess that's the best I'm going it get.

Sorry for another reply. Do you think it's worth exchanging my CPU. I have 15 days to take it back. People suggested I use Noctua NT-H1. Is that really a lot better then Artic 5 silver? Thanks again for all the replies.

David

There is nothing wrong with your cpu. You can't return it because it doesn't overclock well, lol!

You can edit the post instead of triple.posting, note. Merged. :)

The best I could get is 4.2 ghz at 1.2V. If I raise the ghz and/or both my CPU will reboot. I guess that's the best I'm going it get.

Sorry for another reply. Do you think it's worth exchanging my CPU. I have 15 days to take it back. People suggested I use Noctua NT-H1. Is that really a lot better then Artic 5 silver? Thanks again for all the replies.

David

AS5 is alright...

My i5 gets up to (and past!!) it's thermal limits under Prime95 Blend (oddly, Small FFT is cooler?) and I'm using AS5.
And I only overclocked my i5 by 500Mhz :shock:

Perhaps look at something else yes.

Ok. I asked the store yesterday if I can exchange it and they say yeah. They kind of have a liberal policy. I didn't tell them I was running at 1.4v though.

I wish I kept my 15 3570K. :)

Ok. I asked the store yesterday if I can exchange it and they say yeah. They kind of have a liberal policy. I didn't tell them I was running at 1.4v though.

Ok hold on!

The CPU is fine. There is nothing wrong with it.

Instead, grab some better paste, and remount the H100 on it!

there's no reason to return a good working CPU

Ok hold on!

The CPU is fine. There is nothing wrong with it.

Instead, grab some better paste, and remount the H100 on it!

there's no reason to return a good working CPU

Ok, you're right. I just ordered the Noctua NT-H1 paste and will remount the cooler. Thanks.

Problem with exchanging it is you may get one that runs hotter.

Problem with exchanging it is you may get one that runs hotter.

I agree. After applying new thermal paste I'm going to stop worrying about it. I'm happy at 4.2 ghz. I have 2 GTX 670s and mainly play games and a little video encoding. I think they have more of an impact then CPU speed if I'm not mistaken.

Paste is only going to help a degree or two...that isn't the issue.

The difference between as5 and other paste is like 1.5 degrees. Some act like as5 is an insulator or something, lol.

Paste is only going to help a degree or two...that isn't the issue.

The difference between as5 and other paste is like 1.5 degrees. Some act like as5 is an insulator or something, lol.

Either way, when his new TIM arrives, he can remount the cooler :)

Also, how did you apply the AS5 in the first place?
Line or dot method?

Either way, when his new TIM arrives, he can remount the cooler :)

Also, how did you apply the AS5 in the first place?
Line or dot method?

I'm a newbie. What is TIM? Is it available yet? I applied AS5 using the line method. Is the dot method better? Is it bad to have to much thermal paste on the CPU?

David

Last edited:
I'm a newbie. What is TIM? Is it available yet? I applied AS5 using the line method. Is the dot method better? Is it bad to have to much thermal paste on the CPU?

David

TIM = thermal interface material = Arctic Silver 5 and all those ;)

Too much and it might squeeze out and possibly short components.

I used the "dot" method on my i5, however, I'm not sure if the dot method is better for Haswells.

Someone more experienced needs to confirm that. :)

Silver_Pharaoh, thanks for the explanation about the paste. I have another question. Real Temps read outs and the read outs from Gigabyte Hardware monitor about 15-20 degrees difference. The Gigabyte Hardware Monitor are lower only gives one CPU reading.

Silver_Pharaoh, thanks for the explanation about the paste. I have another question. Real Temps read outs and the read outs from Gigabyte Hardware monitor about 15-20 degrees difference. The Gigabyte Hardware Monitor are lower only gives one CPU reading.

We use hwmonitor as well as RealTemp.

Both should read the same :)
(try Hwmonitor to be sure)

Yeah, I agree about the voltage. It seems unnecessarily high for the levels of overclock the OP is describing. Those look like AMD overclock voltages rather than Intel.

David, are you letting the bios auto overclock this thing or are you manually setting the vcore that high? You shouldn't need voltages as high as the ones you are using to get stable overclocks at those levels. Can you take some pics of the relevant bios sections and attach them with your next post? Digital camera will work for this but if you press the F12 key (I think it's the F12 key) while in bios it will do a screen capture to a thumb drive.

To attach a pic with a post on the forum click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears click on the little paperclip tool at the top which will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest is obvious.

Note: There is a file size limit with the built-in forum attachment tool I describe above. Be prepared to downsize the images before attempting to upload them as an attachment. There is a great freeware image manipulating tool for this called Irfanview. Use it to "resample" the images. 640x480 is about right. And please attach them directly to your posts as opposed to linking them to Photobucket or some other online storage place.

Back