• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 1366 vs i7 1156 Vs i5 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the funny part about reading most of the reviews. is that they dont bench the i7 860 but only the 870. now the problem i see is that clock to clock with ht there is no comparsion. since i only have seen i7 920's used, noting close to the clock of the 870. some will think i7 1156 is faster since it is a higher clocked one vs the i7 920. when in fact it isnt clock to clock faster, lga1156 uses the DMI buss vs QPI on 1366. the DMI buss is a good thing in a way but is slower then QPI.
*edit*
should be to compare clock to clock, down clock or drop the multi on the i7 870 for i7 920 speeds. lost track the 860 isnt clocked at 2.66ghz but would have been nice to have a 850 in the line up then....

maybe the dies are but the LGA11566 cpus is the same size physical size as LGA775 cpus.

I think you ought to review the chipset diagrams. x58 uses the exact same DMI bus for the exact same purposes that P55 does, namely southbridge to northbridge communication. The only difference is whether the northbridge is a separate chip or in the CPU (please don't take this to mean I'm confusing memory controller with northbridge, the x58 does still have a northbridge.)

From what I can tell after doing a lot of reading on the CPUs. Less intensive stuff like most games will be fine with an i5 but if you're going to do any rendering or video transcoding then you're going to want to go with the i7. The heavy duty stuff really takes advantage of the tri-channel memory and the hyperthreading which the i5s lack.

Don't go mixing up Intel's silly naming scheme with other features! The HT is surely the main advantage of the i7 series but there are i7 CPUs that are on LGA1156 with mere dual channel memory and they run fine versus triple channel i7s on LGA1366.

Last edited:
I think you ought to review the chipset diagrams. x58 uses the exact same DMI bus DMI for the exact same purposes that P55 does, namely southbridge to northbridge communication. The only difference is whether the northbridge is a separate chip or in the CPU (please don't take this to mean I'm confusing memory controller with northbridge, the x58 does still have a northbridge.)

Don't go mixing up Intel's silly naming scheme with other features! The HT is surely the main advantage of the i7 series but there are i7 CPUs that are on LGA1156 with mere dual channel memory and they run fine versus triple channel i7s on LGA1366.

In P45, the northbridge connected RAM and GFX to CPU

In X58, IMC was introduced so the northbridge connected the GFX to CPU

In P55, Integrated PCI controller was introduced. So there's no more need for a northbridge.

In P45, the northbridge connected RAM and GFX to CPU

In X58, IMC was introduced so the northbridge connected the GFX to CPU

In P55, Integrated PCI controller was introduced. So there's no more need for a northbridge.

I'm not sure how that differs from or changes what I wrote. I'm perfectly aware of how the different chipset and CPU combos compare. The P45 and x58 northbridge also connects the southbridge which mainly contains peripheral I/O to the CPU, you forgot that ;)

Back