• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idea for 2 Stage Water/Alcohol Cooler for use in new Ryzen build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just. Air condition. The room.

Sub-ambient cooling of any sort will run into condensation problems, especially in Florida. You'll kill your system. (and that chest freezer makes noise too)

You can't do geothermal if it's not your property.

High ambient temperatures are not something you can solve in Florida. Some kind of refrigeration system has to run, and that will always cause noise and cost money. Just cool off the whole room and you wont care about the PC venting heat into it.

Alternatively: run the radiators into a closet. Run the fans as fast and loud as you want, they're in a closet.

Last edited:
Ive had an idea about geothermal, but wont have time to research it for quite a while. You are welcome to see what you can make of it though.

I am not certain what volume of earth will remove what volume of heat, but I wonder if a large flowerpot (the kind you see folks have small in-door trees in) might not do the trick. If you are having the rad in the closet or outside of the case already, then this isnt that much difference. You are just changing a radiator and fans with a big pot of dirt and a copper coil. :shrugs:

Ive had an idea about geothermal, but wont have time to research it for quite a while. You are welcome to see what you can make of it though.

I am not certain what volume of earth will remove what volume of heat, but I wonder if a large flowerpot (the kind you see folks have small in-door trees in) might not do the trick. If you are having the rad in the closet or outside of the case already, then this isnt that much difference. You are just changing a radiator and fans with a big pot of dirt and a copper coil. :shrugs:

That idea won't work. the pot would be surrounded by ambient outside air. So if it's 100f outside the dirt will be 100f.

That idea won't work. the pot would be surrounded by ambient outside air. So if it's 100f outside the dirt will be 100f.
Im not so certain that it would work like that. A five gallon bucket left out in the sun will still be cool in the center at end of the day. Dirt does not conduct heat well so only the surface warms.

What seems more likely is the loop heating the entire pot of dirt, but I am not into water cooling so I am unsure how much dirt it would take to tame X wattage of system.

Im not so certain that it would work like that. A five gallon bucket left out in the sun will still be cool in the center at end of the day. Dirt does not conduct heat well so only the surface warms.

What seems more likely is the loop heating the entire pot of dirt, but I am not into water cooling so I am unsure how much dirt it would take to tame X wattage of system.

"Dirt does not conduct heat well" is a pretty solid argument against using it to cool something.

I am certain that it works like that. This is a pretty good explanation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_thermal_properties

Your bucket of water analogy works on a totally different principle of thermal dynamics. A Zeer Pot might work (doubtful). You could do the math found on this page http://www.appropedia.org/Zeer_pot_refrigeration_(design) to determine viability for CPU cooling.

Last edited:
Back