• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Impressions of Vantec CCK-6035D? VS Thermalright SK6.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ramonetb

Registered
Does anyone have a first hand impression of the Vantec CCK-6035D. (That all copper one?)

I've read the impressions of the SK6. But how do the two stack up against each other?

I'm looking at an upgrade from my Volcano 2 and wondering which way to go. The SK6 seems to be leading perfomer, but is difficult to play around with where as the Vantec CCK is a much more stable unit. But I don't know about firs thand cooling reports and experiences!

Anybody out there who'd like to throw in some views?

Mod-less at the moment.
256MB Crucial PC133, CAS2
8GB WD ATA66 Caviar, 345MB Maxtor "DOS DRIVE."
Hercules 3DP 4500 KYRO 2 @ 190/190
SB Live VALUE! (Almost got it working flawlessly in DOS mode.)
Afreey 10X DVD 40X CD, Phillips 8x4x32 RW
Achieve 300 Watt PS (Comments?)

"The Jolly Wizened Oaf!"

the vantec seems to be ok, but falls behind the glaciator, sk-6 and swiftech with the weak fan.

Really? The Glaciator is better than either? I've read so many reviews that place the Glaciator behind the pack of the Vantec and SK6. in fact that SK6 is herald to be the MC462A killer.

Is it sincerely true that the Glaciator still stands out as the leader in real world performance?

Where else, besides overclockers.com, have you seen a review of the Glaciator?
The Glaciator isn't as good as the sk6 for cooling, but is alot more quiet according to overclockers. I would recommend getting a Glaciator though, the delta black labels are extremely loud.

I've got some links at home. (I'm in the computer labs here at College.) When i get home today I'll post them up.

So, are we to say that the top three are the Millenium Glaciator (does it still come with Arctic Silver 2?) ThermalRight SK6 And the MC462A? That 462A is a massive beheamouth and at $80 is 2 extra degrees worth 40?

While this is all very fascinating, I continue to see review that put the Vantec CCK only a degree or two behind the SK6. Unfortunately, I never see it compared to the Glaciator. The vantec has the advantage of easy modding. If I want an 80mm to 60mm fan shim I can easily mount it. Trying to do that to the SK6 is a nightmare!

So I hear round after round of applause for the Glaciator. (Was there ever any doubt on that? :) ) But I have yet to talk with anyone who actually owns the Vantec CCK. The thing is heavy!! (368Grams!) Is that too much weight for the socket to take? Especially during movement?

Some benchmarks: http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/heatsinks/vantec/cck-6035d_fce-6030d/p3.htm

oc.com has the C/W of the Sk-6 at .16, the glaciator .20 and the Vantec copper at .23.

I was also concerned about the weight of the glaciator until I installed it. The clip is easy to work with and very secure. If your moving the box constently I would suggest a hanging support of some sort though its not necessary if you only move the box once in a while like I do. I have had good results with it and the unit is quiet and fairly cheap comparison wise.

Randy (Jul 24, 2001 01:50 p.m.):
I have the SK6 and I had no problem mounting the funell 60mm to 80 mm adapter that 1coolpc.com sells on it.
Randy

I must be missing something. But, the Sk6 uses wire clamps to hold a fan onto it. As i understand, those wire clamps need to rest inside the screw holes on the fan. But the screw holes on the funnel are on the inside of the funnel. So how did you mount it with the 88millimeter case fan?

Because if this is true and easy to do...then i think this may be the heat sink for me. It currently is acclaimed to be the best copper heat sink available. Noise isnt too much of an issue for me since my case has pretty good air flow. And at 32$ at 1coolpc.com its cheaper than the vantec or the glaciator.

Questions, comments, advice?

i saw it, they might have a special adapter or just glue the adapter down.

Ramonetb, I already had the Sk6 so I ordered just the Funell, Fan and fans screws. Bart at 1coolpc threw in some small sheet metel screws that he uses to attach the funell to the SK6 (I was sceptical at first) but they do work, you just line the funell up just right on the HS and the holes line up in between the outermost cooling fins
you just run the screws in and they thread their way in between the fins slightly parting them as they are very thin. One word of advice from my experiance the Delta 60MM cools the HS better than the Sunnon 80 40cfm case fan Bart sells so if I were you and noise is not an issue I would order just the Bare Sk6 and the funell and get a high output/cfm 80MM fan to put on it.
I am back to my 60MM Delta 38cfm fan for now untill I can get an 80MM Delta 68cfm focused flow fan as noise is not an issue for me I run a closed case with 5 40cfm case fans and an enermax eg365p dual fan psu that I defeated the thermal sensor on and the fans run full speed all the time . Hope this helps.
Randy

evidently the 80mm fans don't quite handle the back pressure of a funnel too well, so you really have to get one that put outs more air to get the same airflow of the delta.

You guys are fantastic! Not to put off other message boards but this has been the most helpful one I've been on. Kudos to you guys for making it such!

Tahcyon, I've seen the Vantec as cheap as $30. but with Shipping and Handling the price goes up to $35.

But now looking at those independant reviews, the prices and even other reviews, it seems to me that the Gladiator is the most bang for the buck. It's all so confusing!!! I think this is one of those situations where there is no clear winner. Just simply have to pick and stick with it.

The Glaciator is an impressive heatsink, but since noise isn't an issue with me I can get better cooling for cheaper prices. Now I must consider which one.

Thanks for all the help guys. Your opinions mean a lot.

Ramonetb (Jul 25, 2001 08:51 a.m.):
You guys are fantastic! Not to put off other message boards but this has been the most helpful one I've been on. Kudos to you guys for making it such!

Tahcyon, I've seen the Vantec as cheap as $30. but with Shipping and Handling the price goes up to $35.

But now looking at those independant reviews, the prices and even other reviews, it seems to me that the Gladiator is the most bang for the buck. It's all so confusing!!! I think this is one of those situations where there is no clear winner. Just simply have to pick and stick with it.

The Glaciator is an impressive heatsink, but since noise isn't an issue with me I can get better cooling for cheaper prices. Now I must consider which one.

Thanks for all the help guys. Your opinions mean a lot.

Glad my review helps. Yeah , the Gladiator was good. I can't find this in Singapore, but trust me, if some shops do sell Gladiator here, that shop will be mobbed!

Back