Many thanks to Careface for writing this fine step-by-step Installation Guide!
SETI in 3 easy steps: Install, Attach, Optimize!
SETI in 3 easy steps: Install, Attach, Optimize!
1. Installing BOINC
- 1a. Download the latest BOINC application from [email protected] and "Save to disk".
- 1b. Run the downloaded file, click next, accept the license agreement, then click next to continue.
- 1c. On this page you can specify where to install BOINC and where BOINC keeps it's data files.
- 1d. If you're satisfied with these options click next then "Install". Depending on your system this will take about a minute.
- 1e. Check the "Run BOINC manager" box then click "Finish" to complete installation and open the BOINC Manager.
- (Note: Some systems may require a restart before you can open the BOINC Manager. [Ed. QI])
2. Attaching to the SETI project
- 2a. Click on Tools -> Attach to Project
- 2b. Click next to take you to the "Choose a project" screen
- 2c. Scroll down and select "[email protected]" from the list then click next to communicate with the project.
- 2d. Now you put in your details - If you don't have an account, then fill out the email address and password fields and click next. If you're an existing user, click the "Yes, existing user" radio box and fill out your details and click next.
- 2e. Congratulations! You're now attached to the project. Click Finish to get things started.
3. Optimizing your client
Now comes the fun part! Getting the most out of your SETI experience, and turning your PC into a SETI crunching beast!
3.1 Determining which type of CPU you have, and what instructions it supports
- 3.1a Download cpuz from CPUID.com and "Save to disk".
- 3.1b. Extract cpuz to the location of your choice (default is a desktop folder)
- 3.1c. Open the new cpu-z folder and double click on cpuz.exe
- 3.1d. The logo on the right side will either be an AMD logo, or an Intel logo. This is important for later
- 3.1e. About 1/2 way down find the line titled "Instructions"
- 3.1f. The instructions we are looking for are SSE, SSE2, SSSE3, and SSE4.1
- 3.1g. Write down the largest supported SSE instruction listed. For instance, if you have SSE, SSE2, and SSE3, then SSE3 is the one you want to remember. If your CPU supports SSE3 and SSSE3 (note the extra "S"), then write down SSSE3. Close CPU-z
- 3.2a. Click on Start on the taskbar
- 3.2b. Right-click on "My Computer" and click "Properties"
- 3.2c. Under "System" you'll see what version of windows you're running. If you're running Windows 98, or Windows ME, then note that down. If you're running Windows XP or Vista, then Simply note whether or not it says "Windows [version] x64 Edition" or simply "Windows [version]"
3.3 Downloading the correct version of the Optimizer
- 3.3a. Go to the Lunatics download page and, based on what version of Windows you have (Windows x64 Edition, Windows 98 etc.), get the version that matches your windows version. For example, if you have Windows XP x64 edition, then download the "Win64 Lunatics' Unified Installer". If you have Windows 98, or Windows ME, then download "Win98me Lunatics' Unified Installer.
- 3.3b. Save to disk.
We're nearly there, just a few more steps to go and you're all setup
3.4 Installing the Lunatics' Unified Installer
- 3.4a. Stop the BOINC client by right-clicking on the BOINC icon (spiky ball icon in the task bar) and click "Snooze".
Then right-click the icon again, and click Exit.
- 3.4b. Locate where you saved the Installer and run it.
- 3.4c. Click next and accept the User Agreement. This will take you to the Select Application screen.
Before we continue, if you would like to run [email protected] on your video card as well as (or instead of) your CPU, then take a slight detour and head to Step 4. Otherwise, continue on to step 3.4d.
- 3.4d. Now it's time to get the right applications installed to your pc. Remember those things I got you to write down earlier about Instruction Sets (SSE, SSE2, SSSE3 etc.)? Now's the time to put that info to use. Select the highest level of SSE that your CPU supports, for both "AstroPulse v5.05 & .03 (CPU)" and "MultiBeam (CPU AKv8b)". For example, if your CPU supports SSE2, then select "SSE" from the AstroPulse section (as SSE3 is higher than what your CPU supports!), and select SSE2 from the MultiBeam section. If your CPU supports SSE3, then we need to remember what type of CPU you have (AMD or Intel) and select the appropriate box
NOTE: If you select SSE3 (Intel) and you in fact have an AMD CPU or vice versa, then the application will fail to run, so be careful! Also, unless you're going to run [email protected] on your video card, leave the "MultiBeam (Cuda)" box down at the bottom UNCHECKED.
- 3.4e. Once you've selected the applications you'd like to install, click next.
- 3.4f. In case you've installed BOINC differently to how this guide suggested, simply click Install. If you've installed BOINC to a different location, then you'll need to change the Install Destination Folder to where you installed the BOINC data files, then click Install.
- 3.4g. Restart the BOINC manager by clicking Start -> All Programs -> BOINC -> BOINC Manager
Checking your installation
As a final check on your installation take a look at the Window's Task Manager Processes tab while BOINC is running and you should see the optimized apps that you've just installed. Since installations and components are so varied the only thing I can say as a general rule is, check the version of the apps ("setiathome_ ..." is the basic app, not optimized!) and make sure they have a non-zero value in the CPU column. If the new apps are not listed or have a zero CPU value then exit BOINC completely and restart to see if that resolves the issue.
Joining the Overclockers.com SETI Team
To join the Overclockers.com SETI Team open up the BOINC Manager and click on the "Your account" button in the left-most section to access your [email protected] account screen. Look in the upper right-hand corner for "Team", click "Join a team", then choose "Overclockers.com". It will sometimes take a day for the change to show on the team roster but your account screen should show the change immediately. Welcome to the Team!
You're Done! Congratulations on getting everything setup. Now your PC is fully optimized and is ready to do some serious crunching! Remember to post on the forums how your setup is going, and just generally have a chat. We would love to hear from you!