• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Confidential

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xLDKx NewYorker

Registered
I've got an old prescott, and i could use help on what card i could use that won't bottleneck it. I have an FX5200 in it, but i'm pretty sure this is a mid range 02-03 card. Just want a pre 2005 rig, pre 2008 if it's possible.
Specs
P4HT Q71Y(on chip) 560(in pic)3.6Ghz
768mB DDR 233
FX5200 128mB ?SDR or DDR?
450w random PSU
some chinese CD drive
20gB atm
I know not really the safest rig around, putting a better quality PSU in there, getting a Molex to SATA adapter, and throwing my 160gB in.
PCCHIPS P23G v1.0a MoBo
PICS CPUID
I compressed some of the pics on the phone, crappy internet.

Pre 2005 gaming, pre 2008 if possible...
edit* i like older computers might sound weird but i want an older rig, feels nice to play say TES IV or III on older hardware. So, probably something that can handle Skyrim low-medium on 800x600...also i only have PCI and AGP 8x
i have a current gaming rig that plays thing medium to high 1600x900 and 1920x1080 but i feel 1080 is a hw killer so i do it on 720 or 900

X1950 AGP is about the best AGP card out there IIRC...

1080p is a hardware killer? I wonder what you consider 2560x1440 or 4K resolutions... 1080p is the average res these days.

Never really had the money for a rig that could push past 1080 honestly...
As soon as i have the cash, i'm gonna SLI 2 670's , 16gb ddr3, and an ivy or sandy i7 etc etc

When you have the money... come here and ask first. We will get you the best you can with the budget you have (for example, I wouldn't SLI two gen old cards for 1080p. That is single card territory).

Well , it looks like i'm staying on this site.
Not to sound like a tool but i posted that last bit on purpose, most computer sites are filled with elitist pricks. And, ya ill come back here honestly if i was gonna SLI i'd do it with the 400 series.
Thanks man, love this forum already...as soon as i figure out the rep system i'll give you some feedback.

400 series are 4 generations old... was that on purpose too? :p

Being serious, this is a great place to be. We will get you where you want to go if you ask. :)

Ehh, no point in SLI'ing 780's unless world domination is on your mind...
But, is a 3.6Ghz P4HT even worth the trouble or should i upgrade to a 1st gen dualie from another lga775 board and just get a 4650 AGP? still don't understand how multi threading works on a single core

If I was you, I would save for a while for a much more substantial upgrade...a dual core s775 CPU, while better than your P4, is still slow.

If I was you, I would save for a while for a much more substantial upgrade...a dual core s775 CPU, while better than your P4, is still slow.

I agree with that, there are numerous places to get used hardware for a little cheap. The upgrade from C2D to 1155 for example is pretty significant and gives a lot more access to current technologies (USB3, PCIE2.0[or 3.0]), etc. I would hate to see you throw money away on a build that is already outdated by 5 or 6 generations.

+1, or if you're like me, get the Newegg preferred card with no interest for 12 months if you gotta have it now.;)

Its like enjoying it NOW while you're saving (or paying in installments)

Back