• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i7 Processor Models and Pricing Revealed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AuDioFreaK39

Registered
http://translate.google.com/transla...wthread.php?t=2300&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=el&tl=en

The news is finally here! According to HWBox, the new Intel Core i7 processors will be labeled and priced as follows:

Core i7 965 Extreme Edition
Product Code: BX80601965

3.20GHz
8MB L3 Cache
QPI Speed: 6.4GT/sec
MSRP (per 1000): $999

Core i7 940
Product Code: BX80601940

2.93GHz
8MB L3 Cache
QPI Speed: 4.8GT/sec
MSRP (per 1000): $562

Core i7 920
Product Code: BX80601920

2.66GHz
8MB L3 Cache
MSRP (per 1000): $284

*update*

the Core i7 model numbers have been confirmed with Intel's September 2008 Roadmap Chart:

http://www.expreview.com/news/hard/2008-09-16/1221564352d10023.html

intel-roadmap-september.png

I've been tracking Nehalem for months. Here are the latest and most recurring speculative releases:

* week 40 (September 29 - October 5, 2008)
* week 44 (October 27 - November 2, 2008)
* first two weeks of Novembe

In my opinion, the first two weeks of November seems most likely. Afterall, the first Penryn (QX9650) was released on November 12, 2007.

As far as preorders go, I'll probably be one of the first to let you guys know ;)

Last edited:
http://translate.google.com/transla...wthread.php?t=2300&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=el&tl=en

The news is finally here! According to HWBox, the new Intel Core i7 processors will be labeled and priced as follows:

Core i7 965 Extreme Edition
Product Code: BX80601965

3.20GHz
8MB L3 Cache
QPI Speed: 6.4GT/secMSRP (per 1000): $999

Core i7 940
Product Code: BX80601940

2.93GHz
8MB L3 Cache
MSRP (per 1000): $562

Core i7 920
Product Code: BX80601920

2.66GHz
8MB L3 Cache
MSRP (per 1000): $284

1221509431a3e6cd10e8.jpg

Does the PER 1000 mean those are the prices if you buy that many?
Axis

whats up with the numbering scheme 920 940...its bringing back memories of pentium D.
the $284 price doesnt seem so bad, didnt the q6600 start there near there at launch?

Does the PER 1000 mean those are the prices if you buy that many?
Axis

Yeah, that's bulk pricing for OEMs and vendors. You can expect the retail price to be a little higher, probably just slightly over $300 for the i7 920.

I don't see anything wrong with those prices, the quads were more expensive then that when they first came out. The C2D line will still be around for a while and will still provide plenty of bang for the buck for the budget-minded until they start bringing out neutered Nehalems for the low-end.

Last edited:
the Core i7 Extreme 965 sadly reminds me of the i965 chipset..

oh well, I'm still getting it anyways :)

$284 seems good for a quad + HT on each core.

I would LOVE to build a i7 comp but i dont have the $ for a new mobo, ddr3 ram, and cpu so yeah.

i think ill just be picking up a Q9550 once the prices go down (when the i7 is released)

i really want to buy me a couple 920's along with some cheapo ddr3 mem and boards
8 thread crunching is just insane!!!

i really want to buy me a couple 920's along with some cheapo ddr3 mem and boards
8 thread crunching is just insane!!!

wont really matter if the program running is only optimized for single thread use.

yup, and it's gaming performance is below that of the c2 and q2 so if your an applications guy they are great...

$284 seems good for a quad + HT on each core.

I would LOVE to build a i7 comp but i dont have the $ for a new mobo, ddr3 ram, and cpu so yeah.

i think ill just be picking up a Q9550 once the prices go down (when the i7 is released)

The price already dropped by over $200 on the q9550. I don't expect another drop. It's 279.99 at Fry's ATM.

8 threads does not give you the same performance as 8 cores.

How hyperthreading works is that the CPU/core utilizes the time it spends waiting for other componenet, for example, a cache miss to be full-filled (slow read from RAM), and give the time to another thread. There is only one "real" execution unit per core.

yup, and it's gaming performance is below that of the c2 and q2 so if your an applications guy they are great...

I've heard that as well. Are there any previews or such that show such results?
I don't doubt you at all, just curious.

Fail.

So they added another 2MB cache and HT... Whoop de frickin doo... Not like I'm gonna be using that for two years.

Sticking with 775 until next summer at least, maybe gonna get 45nm.

Hopefully AMD will use this pathetic excuse of an upgrade to slap Intel with a good processor....

Hopefully AMD will use this pathetic excuse of an upgrade to slap Intel with a good processor....
Exactly what I was thinking. I will probably stick with Intel even if AMD comes up with slightly better CPUs (just like how I'm sticking with NVIDIA even though ATI is slightly better at this point). Call it brand switching latency I guess :). Just so I won't switch brands at 100 Hz or something when they are roughly equal :). But of course, competition is good for everyone (just look at Microsoft... I'm a proud Linux user btw. Except when gaming :)).

technically, nehalem is quite an upgrade. IF they had used the old transistors, kept the large amples of L2 and didn't care so much for energy efficiency, they would be loads faster. It is just where they focused on.

I'll be picking up the cheap 775 stuff when everyone upgrades :D

From what I've seen the extra memory bandwidth doesn't really help THAT much in real world performance. The 4 extra threads will be nice if you have one of those rare programs that can use all of them. The clockspeeds are meh.

ETA on first 8 threaded game? Long long time.

On the plus side, native SLI on Nehalem boards yay.

I might get my feet wet with Nehalem when the lower socket or the revision comes out in a while.

Last edited:
Back