• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Deadends

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. I wish that I had the time to put an Intel timeline chart together that mapped out all of the Intel changes - switch to Slot 1, then to Socket 423, then 478, now ... Changes to voltages that required board changes, starting back in the Pentium days thru Celeron - Tualatan, etc. And memory changes - to DIMMs to RAMBUS, to DDR (finally).

If you mapped it out, some changes brought obsolescence faster than others. We went through a long period of BX chipset and ever faster, overclockable processors. Some cycles were shorter. I'm not sure the 865/875 Northwood P4 cycle is the shortest we've had. You can be sure that Intel is not very concerned about the consumers upgrade path (positive or negative). They want to execute their long term strategies with the big OEM's and corporate customers.

It is impossible to plan a long term upgrade path. Things are going to change. Even the Prescott compatible boards today (if there are any) will be deadended when Prescott changes to the new socket. Other technologies will change, too, memory, PCI Express, etc.

I would be ticked off if I bought a board that claimed to be Prescott compatible and turned out not to be. I'd try not to let it detract from the fact that I owned one of the latest, great 865/875 boards available.

The timeline has spurts for both chip makers . there were good times for Intel as well . There were BX boards which began with the P2 350 and P2 400 and could go right up to a P3 1000 and I am not counting the fact that adaptors could be used for the Tualatin processors . I am concerned with out of the box abilities .

The point I made in one of the earlier posts in this thread is that we are currently in a 'spurt' of early obsolescences .

If a board today works with the first Prescott revisions then you could have bought one last month with the 2.4C nd have the upgrade option in a years time to go to the last 478 Prescott . That would be a good step up . Of course the newer .09 chips on a PCi-express mobo will probably do better , but not by much .

I dunno...

The BX was a great platform, and did last a long time, but... at that time Intel was not innovating much at all. The only difference from the first P2 to the last P3 was on die cache and SSE, and of course clock speed. Thats when AMD cought up, and surpassed them. Now AMD is not innovating, and Intel is again, thus the Intel platform is performing alot better than AMD.

I still think that nost of the high end mobo's will be Prescott 478 compatible, they wil find a way. Hell, they enabled PAT on i865 right ?

The AMD~Intel Thing

Cowboy, you are correct on concept, nobody can really deny that. What I tend to think of {I run both AMD~Intel} is that without AMD in the picture, we would be paying -Not $200 for a reasonable Intel CPU, but $1,000. Thus a new mobo would have been a mute point.

Intel just learned how to recover costs, as you have pointed out. There are upsides & downsides to each {AMD~Intel}, but I feel that the market is pretty much on the side of the consumer at present; thanks to the 'War' between these two contenders.

From experience, the owner of an AMD based system will invest $$ worth in time (For some plle, that equates to $$).

While I'm here, I now find AMD becoming outragous in their pricing structure as well -So, these two cancel each other out IMHO.

Cheers

Edit: insert -

Seems appropriate

Hmmmm................ Upgradeability.................I could buy a IC7-G now which I have paired with a 1.6A and run great. So in a year, I can get the 3.2 at a cheaper price and I did a speed upgrade. I think this is all a matter of perspective, as to if you buy the most current mobo for Intel you can run your old 478 chip with it except the Willies but I really think you could the Willies too just not Officially.

I bought a BE7 Raid a year ago and this year I bought a IC7G and am still running my 3.06HT with it and have the dual channel speed upgrade. Now, next year when the latest cpu comes out I can still upgrade to the 3.2 or probably the early Prescotts at a cheaper price since they wont be the latest and greatest but will give me the speed boost I was looking for.

So which to get first , The Chicken or the Egg?:D

Tread

Intel has been doing fine, and I admire them. They stick to true speeds(hint hint) and they have been going in a logical procession. I like it and I use both systems, intal and amd and the both rock.

. . and think. . when you bought an Intel p2 the p3 FIT the same slot one board(wonder if that was a good marketing move or what? lol). . or you got a simple adapter. NOW you cant even get 2 versions of the P4 to match the boards. . . . I have intel but I'll bet I think twice for my next upgrade.

I really dont understand the concern on intel, yes the went from 423, to 478 from 400fsb, to 533,800. but when the did they had a moderate jump in processing speed, Now, lets talk amd socket a, 1700+ 1.47 ghz~1800+ 1.53ghz~1900+ 1.6~2000+ 1.66~2100+ 1.73~22oo+ 1.8~2400+2.0~ bartons 2500+1.83? ~ 2800+2.07~3000+2.17~3200+2.2, now if my calculation is right the go from 1.47 to 2.2 or 700mhz difference how could you change your platform for a 700mhz difference? I went from a 1.8 to a 2.8 on my soyo mobo that supported 400/533 fsb, intel now has mobos that support 400/533 and 800 fsb, so if your gonna gripe about intel, ask why amd cant get more than 700mhz in 3 years. If i was amd i wouldnt change either just add another 1 mhz and call it 3500+. ALLEN

CowboyX, I agree with you. Intel's backwards compatibility is sorely lacking. But they sell chipsets, and people are buying their products in spite of their obvious arrogance. Starting the P4 out with the incredibly short lived Socket 423 was classic Intel. If they knew they would soon need to have more pins, why not start out with 478? The extra pins wouldn't have hurt anything. Either they knew, and didn't care (likely) or they didn't know, and were caught unaware (unlikely).
Maybe the earlier motherboard wouldn't be able to fully capitalize on the improvements in the newer CPU. But it would still give a performance boost, and it is nice to have the option. It is also nice to be able to upgrade the CPU, and then be able to decide to get the latest motherboard to match later on.

Not all Intel fans are willing to junk their boards as often as Intel would like them to. Someone out there is buying those socket adapters.

If AMD tanks, we will all be worse off being at the mercy of this successful, but somewhat greedy, corporation. Even those of you who intensely dislike AMD and their products should still be glad that they offer Intel some competition.

Really!

SkaGoatMaster You are kidding Right!

I agree with allen337 in concept. But really when it comes to Intel & the high end chip, AMD can't match the OC or the function: Be it noted that most Intel OC's occur with a lower end chip, where AMD are using the higher end....and then compare their results!

I'm not knocking AMD, I own that too and it does run very well and on one point I can agree; Each chip has it's function. But I would not claim fame for AMD out racing Intel at all.

I run a network with both AMD & Intel, there is far less pain {drivers} & heat issues with Intel, while gaming does produce an edge on an AMD low end chip, that takes a high end Intel to have the same result. Again, though ~Don't confuse speed & function, relative to the chips people run and OC.

An Intel high end chip will still Rip an AMD chip, no matter what you run. I like both chips, but I'm not blinded by any motivation toward either, depends on the job I want to use both chips for. Meanwhile I do find AMD becoming too expensive, for the results.

repo man11 {Edit}...Now that's another point, I like to think without AMD we would be paying $1600 for a top chip, rather than sub $ that we pay now....Just a thought.

Cheers

SkaGoatMaster said:

Athlon XP and PIV are different animals... the PIV clocks higher, but the XP does more work per clock..

.. yes, and then waits another 10 clocks until slow memory/cache subsystem delivers another work for him. Thats what one can call optimal combination... ;)

klenot, cache runs at the same speed of the processor. Most of the time, the cache is hit. The memory is quite a bit slower, but is not accessed that often.

NO WHERE does it state that AMD's cache does not run at full clock speed. Nor does it say that AMD's cache implementation is significantly slower than Intels. Go do some real research! Sure there are some differences, each w/ its own advantages and disadvatages. One cache implemation is not inherently better than the other.

The 2nd article states that the Barton does not benefit much from the added cache. Does that mean that the cache is slow? Nope. Just that the benefit from the extra is not that great.

Cowboy X said:
Actually the situtation is that the P4 needs a bigger and better cache than the Athlon in order to be competitive .

There is a difference between performance increase due to scaling and performance. Just because a proc scales well when increasing cache does not necessarily mean that it is slow with the smaller cache.

Each cache implementation has its own advantages and disadvantages.

It has to do with the P4 processor's long pipeline . It is imperative so that when an op fails too much time isn't lost . With long pipelines one mispredicted branch can cause alot more lost clock cycles that the shorter stage pipelines on the Athlon . That is why the P4 needs a bigger and better cache .

Mr Steveo said:
FWIW

Late last summer I bought an Asus P4B533-E (845E). Contrary to info in this thread, that Asus 845E will support all the way up to 3.06GHz and will suport Hyperthreading with BIOS updates. Of course I sold it to get a 845PE :D so I never got to find out myself. But there are folks at www.abxzone.com running that 845E with HT CPUs.

Secondly, I then went on to an Asus P4PE (845PE). Contrary to info in this thread, Asus did relase BIOS updates for the P4C 800MHz CPUs. They will work in that Asus 845PE. Again I didnt keep it long enough to find out, but people are using the P4Cs in P4PE mobos.

Thirdly, I spent a few years with AMD systems. Sure, they didnt change the socket. But I cant tell you how many times Id buy a certain chipset mobo to find out that within six months you needed a new mobo for CPU support or optimizations. The AMD world plays the platform obsolesence game too. Intel changes sockets. AMD related mobos just stop CPU support to encourage people to upgrade. They are two different paths to the same end.

And of course ask any person with a new nForce2 who doesnt read roadmaps how happy they are that their brand new socket A is already capped out thanks to A64 coming.

My point(s)?

1. CPU support for Intel boards isnt as bad as indicated in this thread. It all depends on if the specific brand of mobo you are using is from a company that is known for updating CPU support frequently (a strong point of Asus)

2. Note that in points 1 and 2 above I state, I never kept the motherboard long enough to find out. Many enthusiasts are the same way. They buy a motherboard, drool over its anticipated CPU support life. But once CPU buses change, or features change, or 6 to 9 months go by; these said entusiasts buy a newer motherboard anyway.

Point being: When P4 C 800FSB was announced, what was everyones question in Asus forums?

It was, "Will it run in my 845PE? The answer was, "Yes it will."

The answer made everyone happy at the time. But how many people do you see running around with 845PEs and P4C CPUs? Almost none! The same people that last winter demanded their 845PEs run the new CPUs, were the same folks who bought the Canterwood the first 12 weeks it came out! :D

---------------------------------------

So....

In practicality, people tend to rant and cry for longer CPU support. But the majority of enthusiasts dont even use all of the CPU support life once its given to them. They end up going on to the next greatest motherboard even if their current one has a longer CPU life. And as such for the majority of people, the entire topic is moot.

JMHO

Very good observations.

I would like to add a rant or two of my own. It's infectious. :))

Failing to meet "Great Expectations" is not entirely Intel's fault. As u mentioned the i845PE chipset was not validated/designed for 800 MHz FSB operation. But what did the cream Taiwanese mobo makers do? - promise boards with 800 MHz FSB support. Some early versions don't carry the support, some later versions do - only adding to the confusion. And even buying these newer versions doesn't make "good sense" all the time, since the new platform is just over the corner, and will be available with the release of the new CPU also.

But there's a price to pay if you wanna stay on the bleeding edge.

As far as I know mobo makers skimped on the voltage requirements for Prescotts, and that has made a lot of ppl really mad at Intel. Can u blame Intel for that?

I am not advocating Intel's policy of changing sockets and FSBs, and voltages so "frequently" but mostly the intense competition is "forcing" them to do so.

Well what am I doing - Playing the Devil's advocate? :))

Maybe it would seem more fair from the consumer side if Intel/AMD would release only "mature" platforms", platforms with a longer life span - right. But they don't do that, they release sort of "intermediary platforms" in the process. But in an industry so dynamic, trying to release "mature platforms" might be = "You've missed the boat". In many cases it's like a chicken and egg question - OS first or platform first? Prescott first or DDR2 first? It would be best if consumers could have the full package - Tejas, DDR2, OS, apps, and games that can take full advantage of the new, powerful platform - but that is not gonna happen. Things in the real world are more likely to happen step by step, gathering momentum on the way.

Marketing is like a "tricky psychological intercourse" with the consumer. If the marketers get the better of the consumers, they buy what the marketing ppl want to sell. If consumers don't buy or buy with a lot of discretion, marketers are forced to lower prices, withdraw/improve the product.

The way I see it, it's a competition about getting the $ out of the consumers pocket into the corporation's pocket. Every company is fighting for the consumer $. So even if a platform will live for only 6 months, so what - it might bring million of $ to the producer. If Intel/AMD don't get the money, maybe Samsung will with it's TFT panels. ATI or Nvidia? Or some DVD player manufacturer. Or maybe some holiday tour operator. Or why not MS? So, whoever can get the ball rolling in quckest time, has a better chance of grabbing some green stuff. The product might suck big time initially - but improve within six months. To have a large mindshre and user base, getting a product out and promoting it is very important. When you've got the better version, you'll have many more adopters. And remember - enthusiasts are not the only ppl out there!

Nowadays there are too many options - so there is a lot of "cognitive disonance" or "buyer's remorse". Without hope we cannot live - we need something to look forward to. But too many things to look forward to can make us unhappy too.

Enough of babbling and wannabe philosophy - End Of Rant. Thanks everybody.

Back