• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the 680i worthy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maglin said:
Edit: I did forgot to mention the only flaw I see in the RD600 currently is it's vCore only goes to 1.6v which is probably more than enough for about 95% of the people on OCF but those extreme OCers out their that want to push their CPU's want more so a vCore mod would be needed. The vDIMM goes to like 3.0v I believe.

The Vcore goes to 1.6V but with the special VID voltage it goes to 1.9V+

Theres plenty of voltage options on it.

What about the P5N32-E SLI by asus it has a 680i chipset which would be better that or the evga 680i board

Flinch said:
deeppow, I'll be watching your sig :)

After some more work, the numbers shown in my original sig are probably pretty representative of a reasonable overclock. I've gotten up to 3.555Ghz (9*395Mhz) on my E6600 CPU using 1.066Ghz on the memory. Of course you can drop the CPU multiplier and use a higher clock (FSB) but so what? As a many folks have pointed out the advantage of a higher FSB is that it allows the use of a cheaper CPU with a lower multiplier. I've been up to the ~450Mhz FSB and quite at that point.

One thing I would note that is a little different from OCing an A64 is that the use of a memory divider seems hidden from you. When the memory is "Unlinked", the BIOS appear to take the FSB and memory speeds you give it and try to select a divider that gives you a memory speed near what you wanted. From time to time, the BIOS seem to fail in this operation and use a default memory speed (800 in my case). Not a big deal but it did surprise me the first couple times it happened. Anyone got a link to a better writeup of this situation, please post.

Also it is good to see other mobos being noted by folks that like them! The more good boards available the better the prices will be over time for us. :beer:

go for it

I have the P5N32-E SLI and I LOVE it.

I do have a 24" mind you, but with 1 8800gtx xxx at the moment. Once you try a 24" monitor, you'll never wanna go back. I feel like I was half blind before. 24" is where I'm going to stay at... so eventually, I will end up with SLI.

But even without SLI, I still like the dual lan and despite what some people say, stability. I've only had problems once when Vista RC1 came out, but after that... Windows XP Pro/Home/Vista x86/64, I have not had a problem with this board. Right now I'm running 3.5GHZ E6700 on Air (Thermaltake 9700), 45C. I'm comfortable with that. I could clock higher, but I think my RAM is holding me back ATM... 3.5GHZ , is a good spot for me.

If you go Water/Phase and have better RAM than I, I'm sure you'll have no probs OC'ing more.

Back