• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

it may be time to retire my 17 year old watercooling loop. Upgrade ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Yea you guys heard me 17 years old, I have been re-using a dangerden Maze 3 water block since the athlon xp days. If you ask me how i managed to put it on a 4790k or a e8400 or my athlon 64's i had its easy.. I simply used the original nylon screws and the coil springs it came with and cut 4 arm brackets and drilled holes in them and walla.. Instant water block recycle, ive also been using my 120mm radiator for 17 years and the Eheim 1080 i think its 1080 i cant remember pump too, it has been runing non stop for almost 20 years..

And well it just plain frigging works.. So i havent spent a dime on cooling. My 4790k can overclock to 4700mhz at 1.25v and be stable 24.7 at that. Why should i get a new water cooling system you ask ? TBH i dont know why maybe im just tossing money away on something that works but i thought maybe i should upgrade.. At LEAST upgrade the radiator to a duel or tripple radiator instead of my single 120mm one. Im also looking to upgrade from my 14 year old case and i finally want a case large enough to hosue water cooling. My main concern though is the Eheim pump is a magnetic pump, and putting that inside my case would this magnetic field affect the computer parts ? I've always wondered that as the field back in the days was strong enough to cause my CRT monitor to be wavy when put close to it.

So i dunno, can you guys recomend me a good water cooling setup. With a block,radiator and pump that ISNT prone to leaking, ive seen some of the cases on newegg that come with a water cooling setup built in and reviews some of them mention they leaked and im not about to have my 800$ gpu destroyed over that. Ill keep my reliable setup over that. I might also want to watercool the 1080ti but im not sure yet.

Thanks a bunch.. Oh and for those of you that want to see here isa pic of my dangerden maze 3 waterblock

Attachments

• water block.jpg
    water block.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 163
I wonder if the new stuff will last that long!
As long as hard drives still have all data on them, maybe it's fine:shrug: you haven't lost anything in 20 years on them, right?

What do you mean about hard drives ? The one i was going to get rid of is the 640gb drive its 10 years old now and had a bad sector and its just time, its too slow. I have SSD's and a 1TB WD black hdd ima keep.

And yes i know you guys may think im nuts but 17 years using the same cooling for 2 decades.. its worked and the pump and radiator and block have been running 24.7 with just bottle water.. Im curious if a new setup would last that long lol.. I doubt it but yea

What do you guys think of this ? Thinking of getting the Thermaltake view 71 and a thermaltake 3.0 RGB 360 radiator/block/fan setup ? That way i can have a nice looking sleek case to replace my 14 year old case, and also get off my 17 year old watercooling setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07537Q8LV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

you sure you want to go with an all in one cpu cooler? im not certain but 90% sure that you wont be able to add anything to it if you want to cool your gpu.

The pump is built into the waterblock, you are correct and im not sure if that one pump could say handle a GPU water block if i add'd it to the chain. But if your concern was could i add the waterblock ? Sure you can just redo the hoses, but can the pump handle the extra flow restiction is what i think your question is right ? My Eheim pump can handle gpu and cpu and chipset "we used to watercool chipsets too not sure if thats a thing now lol". The radiator being 360mm should be able to handle a GPU if i add it, but if it cant handle a 1080ti or 4790k or newer cpu TOGETHER i guess i could get a 2nd radiator for the gpu ?

My main concern is well longetivity.. can this little thermaltake pump built into the cpu block last for 5 years at least ? Or will it die in a year or 6 months. Eheim is the best brand for any kind of water pump for ponds, aquariums or watercooling.. Their original purpose wasnt for water coolin computers lol but back in the 2000s thats what sites sold because built in pumps wasnt a thing. I suppose i could add the pump to the loop if it dies and go through warrenties .. The eheim pump isnt too big

Attachments

• pump 1.jpg
    pump 1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 149
alright i hear ya. you could splice the gpu block and ehiem into the aio loop. as far as the longevity of the thermaltakes pump i cant say. thats the biggest question, will the thermaltake unit last? most of the aio pump/cpu blocks are made by asetek.
we dont cool nb/sb anymore its the components around the cpu like the vrm and fets that some people will wc now(its really only needed for high ocs). they may use monoblocks that cool the vrm etc and the cpu in one.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/wate...ts/bitspower-monoblock-arm10a-rgb-nickel.html
i would go with a custom loop for what your looking to do. especially if your looking to run your gear for another 20 years! haha. thermaltake makes solid gear but they arent the best. there are much better 360 rads out there. there are much much better cpu blocks or monoblocks. you can still get another ehiem if you want redundancy. im sure youll recognize this monster
http://www.performance-pcs.com/pumps/eheim-1250-a-c-powered-110v-pump.html
and all youll need to finish the loop is your old t line or a res.

there are also some highly reliable d5 pumps that will allow for redundancy. not to sure if you want to rely on your pump for many more years.

What I mean about hard drives is magnetic field. If it wasn't doing data damage to drives that fear magnetic field and the rest of the PC didn't mind it, then it's fine..

i got the thermaltake 360 16.8m water cooling setup. Very happy with it, but it only cools my cpu 6c cooler then my 17 year old water block haha

Which is actually pretty significant... 6C improvement is nothing to shake your head at.

You bought a Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 Premium Edition, right? Not sure what you listed above. :)

I'm confused. Are you getting or got an AIO in replacement of a VERY old custom loop or you looking to hack a brand new AIO to add to your VERY old loop? :chair:

Which is actually pretty significant... 6C improvement is nothing to shake your head at.

You bought a Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 Premium Edition, right? Not sure what you listed above. :)

Spent 2000$ in the last 2 weeks on new computer stuff, ill get a chair later lol, 1080ti, new case, new AIO, new mouse, keyboard, 5 RGB fans (they are friggin 130$), monitor, ect ect ive spent more then ive ever spent on a system.

As for the cooler i got, i got the Thermaltake Riing 360 the one for $200 https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...-1-spons&keywords=thermaltake+riing+360&psc=1

although i didnt know microcenter price matchs so i could have gotten everything for like $60 less than what i did. I wonder if i can go back there and mention this showing my receipts and ask if they will give me store credit for a few things. Like the keyboard i paid $120 for and on thermaltakes own website its 100$, same with the case and AIO..

Oh well. I like custom watercooling, but TBH a new pump, radiator, the RGB fans i wanted, and water block for a custom unit would have been double what i paid for the closed loop system i mean cpu blocks are like $80 alone, a 360mm radiator is like $70 the 3 RGB fans i want are $60 and then a pump and tubing ect.. woulda been alot more. The AIO is sealed, but i can easily cut a hose get a barbed fitting and run a new line from it to make it a custom one if i wanted. That wouldnt be hard to do. Noticed some people breaking their AIO's trying to figure how to remove the lines, just cut them get a barb fitting and boom.

Anyway, i want to watercool my 1080ti now, i like the Strix cooler on this thing, but i also like thermaltakes waterblock designed for this Asus GPU https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...ent-CL-W194-CU00SW/dp/B079ZLB9MG?ref=ast_p_ei

I already have my 17 year old copper 120mm radiator and i still have that eheim pump too, My thermaltake view 71 case i can easily mount the 2nd radiator and eheim pump in there. But i was wondering do you guys think the pump on the AIO block i got is strong enough to pump through a gpu block and its own block into the 360mm radiator i already have. Or do you think i just should make a 2nd seperate loop for the gpu with the existing radiator and pump i have and leave the AIO alone. And would a 120mm copper radiator even be enough for the 1080ti ?

Last edited:
You're better off just doing a separate loop with the spare parts you have while making sure their cleaned really good OR you could see if you can find a GPU AIO shroud and just grab another AIO and cool the GPU that way. Will make it for a much cleaner build than having an AIO and a bunch of custom cooling crammed in there as well.

The AIO pumps are much weaker than your ordinary pump for a custom loop. Can't remember the watts but I think its around 8-10 watts or so versus something like a 18w DDC or D5 or what you have at hand.

Show us some pics of the goodies and when all is said and done. We love seeing pics. :D

You're better off just doing a separate loop with the spare parts you have while making sure their cleaned really good OR you could see if you can find a GPU AIO shroud and just grab another AIO and cool the GPU that way. Will make it for a much cleaner build than having an AIO and a bunch of custom cooling crammed in there as well.

The AIO pumps are much weaker than your ordinary pump for a custom loop. Can't remember the watts but I think its around 8-10 watts or so versus something like a 18w DDC or D5 or what you have at hand.

Show us some pics of the goodies and when all is said and done. We love seeing pics. :D

Sure here are some pics of before and after

Attachments

• old system.jpg
    old system.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 113
  • old system 2.jpg
    old system 2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 115
  • new system 1.jpg
    new system 1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 116
  • new system 3.jpg
    new system 3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 116
  • new system 2.jpg
    new system 2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Btw what do you mean AIO shroud ? a shroud is something you put on a radiator like on a car or in our systems,, so what would an all in one cooler have to do with a shroud ? Because you mentioned AIO again ? Im confused

Yea but with that the VRM and power stuff isnt cooled, just a fan blows over it ? Wouldnt that stuff need a heatsink on it ?

I found out i overpaid on my thermaltake keyboard by 45$ at microcenter and the thermaltake AIO i got was 25$ over price, so with the 20$ warranty i paid for i also got 10$ back on the keyboard due to the lower price.. I paid 120 for it at microcenter and it was 75 online everywhere.. So microcenter honored that and gave me 80$ on a store credit card. I used that towards a EWKB 360 watercooling kit here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XI0RIKO/ref=psdc_3015422011_t1_B00LXIRASS, TBH i should just return the thermaketake AIO as this kit from EKWB was marked improperly at micro center at 250$ vs 320 lol and i got it 70$ cheaper then it should have been. Its got a 360 radiator, reservoir/w pump, and a cpu waterblock. Its also a kit i can take apart and add a gpu or whatever to. Thats why i got the kit for the 1080ti. The kit at 250 was cheaper then buying the pump, reservoir, 360 radiator, fans and the fittings for em

I ordered this GPU water block just now, since mine is a ROG strix the pcb is different so normal 1080 ti blocks wont fit.

http://ttpremium.com/product/pacific-v-gtx-1080ti-plus-transparent-asus-rog/

So im thinking of returning my 175$ thermaltake AIO and just sticking with the kit i got, i think a 360mm rad will cool the 4790k and gpu together. Not sure yet..

But im not sure yet.. Since my new case can hold three 360mm radiators, there shouldnt be a problem with two kits cooling the cpu and gpu seperatly and i wont need to buy any RGB fans i can just mount the radiator in the front on the 3 120mm rgbs i already have. Im going to mount the 1080ti vertically as well, with the whole block being watercooled i wont have to worry about airflow and the heatsink/fans being next to the glass door.

I cant wait for this block to get here and for the system to be complete

Last edited:
The fan for the GPU would suffice if you were to go down the AIO route.

Looks like you got some good deals and discounts on your end and it all worked out for the better tbh.

I would also advise on just using that kit for the CPU and GPU so you have less clutter and a more simpler loop in order.

Nonetheless, keep us up to date and with pics of course. :p

The AIO i have now on the cpu isnt in the way or cluttering anything, the radiator is on top out of view so all you see are the 3 RGB fans, and 2 tubes. So the two tubes would still be there if i were to use one kit anyway, and id still have 3 fans mounted on top for exhaust anyway. The front you wouldnt see the radiator either where i plan to mount it, all youd see is the reservoir and tubing.

Im not sure yet, im trying to find the box for the Thermaltake 360, but i cant find it, or the boxes for the other stuff i bought. I think the wife threw them away on trash day.. I need to ask.. If so that sucks and i wont be able to return the Thermaltake AIO and get my 175$ back and just use this kit for the gpu and cpu. I could tell them i tossed the box i guess and the kit leaks, im sure theyd give my money back. If not i checked on the water block the kit came with and it seels for $40 on ebay, and the 3 fans i dont need anyway they go for $10 each, so i can get 70$ for that stuff

Back