• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Killed my first PSU today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Well, to be fair, it probably had its foot in the door since about 2000. It was running my Pentium MMX 200mhz Micron Millenia MXE system since 1997. Oof. 23 years isn't bad. Suddenly I swear I heard a pop and boom black screen. No smell or magic blue smoke though. Computer wouldn't turn on anymore. Obviously PSU.

Ju7sqQB.jpg

My grandfather originally bought the PC in 1997 for apparently $5,000.

He used to be a smoker... this poor PSU probably inhaled a lot of it

tDV8J6H.jpg

850 watts should be fine for a Pentium III right?

kdlcn6h.jpg

Looks like bad caps struck the PIII system. :rain:

(Especially the right-hand one under the CPU heatsink)

Looks like bad caps struck the PIII system. :rain:

(Especially the right-hand one under the CPU heatsink)

Nah it was the light I looked at it and its fine. Motherboard works fine with new Seasonic PSU I had laying around

:rofl: that’s one heck of a nice PSU to have “lying around”!
I wish I still had my old pre-MMX pentium mobo to play with. Not even really sure where it went, other than out of the house a long time ago. My oldest mobo supports my 486 66 and 486 50, but I don’t know if I have enough other stuff to see a C: prompt on it though.

Rather than spam up with forum with my PSU woes, I think my Corsair AX1200 from 2012 is finally dying. Had a few times recently where I lose display and system restarts. No BSOD. Looked for minidumps and there were none. Oof. 8 years isn't bad out of a PSU I think. Gonna have to move that Seasonic. Got a Corsair CX450 ordered for the Pentium III rig. I dropped the OC on my 8086k to 4.8 from 4.9ghz in the interim. Maybe its that but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Look though the PSU grilles. If any bulging, take it out of service immediately! Same for what looks like leaks on the bases of caps. And if Japanese-brand caps, then 8 years is on the low side.

8 years is very good for meh/middle-of-the-road-quality caps. Good for a bronze-grade (a PSU rank in my eyes!) PSU and of course the same for white-label 80 Plus, which is a standard that dates at least as far back as 2008.

Teapo isn't the most consistent for a cap manufacturer and Capxon is similar, if not poorer than Teapo. Ost is on a similar boat.

Also if you have a power loss then it turns back on with no error message other than Windows moaning about not being shut down properly, you likely have a bad solder joint in the PSU. Better just to chuck it.

Last edited:
Look though the PSU grilles. If any bulging, take it out of service immediately! Same for what looks like leaks on the bases of caps. And if Japanese-brand caps, then 8 years is on the low side.

8 years is very good for meh/middle-of-the-road-quality caps. Good for a bronze-grade (a PSU rank in my eyes!) PSU and of course the same for white-label 80 Plus, which is a standard that dates at least as far back as 2008.

Teapo isn't the most consistent for a cap manufacturer and Capxon is similar, if not poorer than Teapo. Ost is on a similar boat.

Also if you have a power loss then it turns back on with no error message other than Windows moaning about not being shut down properly, you likely have a bad solder joint in the PSU. Better just to chuck it.

Switched to the 850w Seasonic formerly in my Pentium III, now no issues. Corsair PSU lasted like 1 year after warranty ended. Lol.

I need a PSU with a -5v rail for the P3 machine anyway, no biggie. Was massive overkill anyway.

Back